Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How To Stop Worrying...

As I approach surgery time (late September/early October) I continue to constantly worry about throwing a blood clot or dying on the OR table. I know that is a terrible thing to say, but I can't help but think "what would happen to my husband and 4 year old son should something terrible happen to me."

Anyone else worry about this? Or anyone post-op worry about it right up until and going into surgery?

I don't want to get worked up about it and be so nervous going into surgery that I make myself physically sick.

Any suggestions on how to move past this fear???? Am I needlessly worrying???

I too worried about the what ifs...but then I had to think about what I knew was in store for me if I didn't have the surgery.

I HAD to have faith in my decision to get healthy, in God and my surgeon.

It is a scary thing to have surgery for any reason especially elective surgery. I thought long and hard about being the one that didn't make it through and left my family for an elective procedure. BUT, then I could and probably would be leaving my family sooner by not doing something proactive.

Just know you are making the choice to give your family a longer life with them and one not surrounded with weight related issues.

I was anxious right up until they took me back and then a calmness came over me and I put all my effort to healing and working my program.

You will do GREAT!!!

It's normal to worry. I was a bundle of nerves right up til they knocked me out on the table at surgery time.

I'm a pretty big guy and was considered high risk for surgery, and I pulled through just fine. You'll be OK as well. Just keep telling yourself that these people are trained professionals who do these surgeries daily without a hitch. They're well trained for any situation. So try to relax a little.

You're going to be fine! it's seriously over before you realize it once the whole process gets started.

I have a husband who is completely disabled with muscular dystrophy and two teenaged children. I was so fearful that something would happen to me and there would be no one to care for my husband. We have managed to keep our children's lives completely normal despite my husband's disablilty, and I worried about how my no longer being there would change their world. I was a bundle of nerves all the way up to surgery. But, I knew I was doing this for the right reasons. I kept reminding myself that it is everyone's job in the hospital to keep me safe, healthy and alive. Yes, things can go wrong, but I had to have faith that GOD has a plan for me and dying on the table was probably not it. I also had to think of the alternatives. If I did not have the surgery, then I would continue on my very unhealthy course and increase my likelyhood of developing diabetes, having a heart attack, getting cancer, etc. None of those things would be very helpful to my family!

It is totally normal to be nervous. Try to focus on all your WHY's for doing this and as Nate said, remember that you will be in the hands of highly trained professionals who do these surgeries daily without a hitch. Once you are there, it is over and done with before you know it. You will come out on the other side wondering why you spent all that time worrying!

I would be worried if you WEREN'T nervous! ;-) I remember thinking that I had lost my mind chosing to have an elective surgery! I have 3 children and they youngest was only 2 at the time I was sleeved. I kept thinking that it something happened to me...what would they do? But, on flipping that around, if I DIDN'T do this what sort of life could I offer them?

It sounds like we've all had similar fears and yours seem to fit right in. Just trust in your decision and know that you are doing this for your healthy, to add years to your life and what an amazing gift you will be giving your family....YOU! :-)

Take care and best wishes!

Hi. I have a therapist to help me work through these pre op issues and provide general support. My surgery is in ten days! I'm nervous.