Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's Happening? (Lbs Vs. Size)

Ok, so for the last 2 weeks, I've only lost 2.2lbs (total). Disappointing to say the least, but in that time, I've noticed co-workers remarking about how "tiny" I've gotten, and I've "missed the window" on some clothes (they were too small last time I checked, and now they're too big). I read a post about your body having to readjust just like moving furniture around the room (or something like that) :) and I guess I'm just looking for some commiseration on barely losing but having your clothes say otherwise. I suppose I should be happy since slow loss makes it less likely that I'll have a ton of loose skin when I reach my goal weight. Also, I feel like I'm wearing sizes that I last wore when I weighed at least 15 lbs less than I do now. That was 10+ years ago, so I wonder if vanity sizing has made it so that I wear a "smaller" size now, or if my weight is just distributed differently this time around and my body really is smaller...hmmm...thanks for reading--I know there were several issues here and I hope it wasn't too confusing! Have a great day, all!

I'll use my rocks and feathers analogy- a pound of rocks and a pound of feathers weigh exactly the same, but on takes up a much larger space. So, don't get too hung up on the scale.

Also, the size on the label is only a number that compares the size of the shirt to all the other shirts, not a judgement. If you look good and feel good, that is all that matters.

If you're that big of a difference in clithing sizes, just hold on! The scale will reflect the change eventually. Just stay focused on the things we're supposed to do. I love Geno's analogy. A scale can only show what you weigh, not how you look. Good luck!

I have size a size 8 skirt and a size 10 skirt, both are from 1995. I have a friend that wears a size 2. My size 8 skirt is too small for her.

When did this vanity sizing take effect exactly lol.

I haven't lost in a week and yet, this week everyone, including my husband seems to be thinking I've lost a lot more. I exercise a lot so something is changing on me but at this point, I'm ready to target practice on my scale!

Thanks guys--that helps. Now that I think about it, back when I did weigh 135-140, nobody believed it--they thought I weighed much less, so who knows! Whatever it is, it's nice to take up less space ;)

Yep! The body is a weird and wonderful thing... I haven't lost a pound since Oct last year, yet I have gone down a full size in all clothes... more recently, people are tell me I look smaller; asking me how much 'more' weight I have lost, yet the scale is not moving - apart from my usual bounce - but never under my all time low! Oh, by the way I am just over two years out... not at goal weight, but I've reached goal size. Last time I was this size UK14 was 20 years ago and I weighed 28lbs lighter! So I completely get where you're coming from...

Just go with it! Enjoy the smaller size and don't worry about it. Like someone else said, if the clothes look good, wear them regardless of what is said on the label!

=]

Ok, so for the last 2 weeks, I've only lost 2.2lbs (total). Disappointing to say the least, but in that time, I've noticed co-workers remarking about how "tiny" I've gotten, and I've "missed the window" on some clothes (they were too small last time I checked, and now they're too big). I read a post about your body having to readjust just like moving furniture around the room (or something like that) :) and I guess I'm just looking for some commiseration on barely losing but having your clothes say otherwise. I suppose I should be happy since slow loss makes it less likely that I'll have a ton of loose skin when I reach my goal weight. Also, I feel like I'm wearing sizes that I last wore when I weighed at least 15 lbs less than I do now. That was 10+ years ago, so I wonder if vanity sizing has made it so that I wear a "smaller" size now, or if my weight is just distributed differently this time around and my body really is smaller...hmmm...thanks for reading--I know there were several issues here and I hope it wasn't too confusing! Have a great day, all!

Okay,,, this has been happening since i had the surgery every time i would drop a few lbs clothes that i didnt wear since i was like 175 would fit... but they fit now at 200.. this is how i seem to be losing tooo and its odd to me. Most ppl see me and think i weigh less than 170,. which is also so odd to me...lmao.. i guess our bodies are just adjusting to the changes!!

good to hear that it's not just me! thanks, Ruby!

I started getting all these complements this week when I have barely been loosing weight according to the scale. I think I stall or go really slowly when my body is readjusting.

This is also seething I have experienced also. Ppl are telling me i getting tiny yet I haven't lost weight according to my scale. I'm learning to just go with the flow. :)

It really does sound like your body has been cleaning out the closet! This is why it's good to measure and keep track in other ways. The scale is definitely not the only measure of success. I'm so happy for you, it must be neat to put those on and realize they were already too big!