Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what does a "golfball" feel like

I have started on regular food, and I am having a very hard time chewing and taking small bites s l o w l y. I keep getting this feeling in my chest, and feel like I have to burp but cant. I get all clammy and feel like I would feel so much better if it just came up. AFter a few minutes I am able to burp lots and it goes away is this a "golfball"

Yep, that is the golfball. If you find that you are having difficulty with full on solids, maybe you should go back to mushies or liquids for a few more days.

It is difficult to get used to taking tiny bites and chewing to mush, but it really is so important that you do so. Someone suggested this to me when I was having problems and it worked for me. Have you tried getting baby utensils. By using them, you will be able to get about the perfect sized bandster bite. I just used them until I really learned how small of bites I needed, and it worked wonderful. Also, put your fork down between bites, chew, chew and chew so more, and wait about a minute before you take that next bite.

I am always doing this when I eat and it is such a bad feeling! I cannot seem to get the idea to eat slowwwww what in the world is wrong with me? I was banded on June 7th and still haven't got the idea. I almost have that golfball thing everytime I eat. I am going out today to buy the baby spoon. I really have a hard time with eating to fast when I'm really hungry and it's really something I like.

Learning to eat slowly is so difficult to learn.

Just think, If we had been able to master eating slowly, we may never have gotten ourselves into the situation which required us to have Lap-Band surgery.

Carol,

I was banded just over a year ago and I still sometimes forget to chew properly- after a lifetime or stuffing food down my throat, it has taken me a while... but I am about 90% there. The other 10% will come I am sure. So don't be hard on yourself...

Carol, I have the VG too! No, I don't think golfballs will do any damage to our bands. But, it is something we should try to avoid. I agree with above, if your happens alot and unprovoked then you may need to discuss it with your doc. When it happens to me, it's always been my own fault.

I definately think it is my own fault, I eat to fast and need to slow down. Usually when I take a bite of food and walk away for a little while I'm fine, it's just so hard to eat like that? But anything is better than the alternative.

How do you like your band?

My surgery was 8/10 and I've been having trouble with the "golfball" since I started mushies. I started solids last week and the trouble has increased. It seems like a lot of people talk about having this problem when they're filled too much. But I haven't even had a fill yet. I'm a month out. I've been getting the golfball at least once a day. Twice today... I fought it off the first time and it passed. The second time I guess I slimed... Usually I end up with what I guess is PB-ing. I vomit up food, but it's not wretching and there's no apparent acid like illness-related vomiting. It panics me when it happens. Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks. Kelli

I am going through the same thing. I've been out like 8 weeks post op and everytime i eat i get this pain feeling like i got to burp up swallowed air then it hurts really bad but goes away. now i know im eating too fast and too big of bites. i'm going to go today and get a kids utinsil's set. i do find it easier when i eat the tuna light in pouch mixed with steamed frozen mixed veggies.

I feel like an expert on this subject... I know now if you eat very slowwwwwly you will usually be just fine, if not you need to tell your doc. I am ready for another fill by next week I'm sure, but eating slowly has definately been the key. I literally have to take a bite then walk away from the food or I'll just continue to eat too fast. What I thought was slow was definately not slow enough, but that walking away thing does the trick. :hungry: Hope it works for you.