Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adding Cheese

Hello! Day 6 after surgery for me. I'm allowed to eat instant mashed potatoes, what are your opinions on adding shredded cheese, fully melted in? Just a small amount....do you think it will hurt my sleeve? I'm wanting something new to add to this week lol

i added melted low fat cheese to almost everything, it adds flavor and Protein.< /p>

I think that will be fine...

Hello! Day 6 after surgery for me. I'm allowed to eat instant mashed potatoes' date=' what are your opinions on adding shredded cheese, fully melted in? Just a small amount....do you think it will hurt my sleeve? I'm wanting something new to add to this week lol[/quote']

To each his own but mashed potatoes at Day 6 is not the best for high Protein. The added cheese will give you some but the carbs in potatoes will not benefit you and your weight loss.

i was allowed mashed potatoes for the first two weeks and yes u can add a little amount of fat free cheese as long as its melted

I don't get it.. So many people include potatoes in their post-op diet. Potatoes are a starch that quickly turn to sugar, and then fat. Why would a surgeon or NUT recommend this?

I like parmesan cheese and garlic chives in mashed potato, They add flavour but not much extra cals...

Try mashed sweet potato though! MUCH healthier and I like it better!

Make a sweet potato, carrot, potato, & pumpkin Soup with light coconut cream and curry powder! GREAT!!!!

You can also mash cauliflower that has been steamed to death, it bulks out mashed potato and Soup without ruining the taste!

Yes, for pureed/soft food stage, adding cheese is fine, as long as it is melted in. Right now it's all about texture so that you don't hurt your newly sleeved tummy as it's healing.

Yeah my surgeon said I can have instant mashed potatoes that are more on the runny side. The cheese worked out well :)

I'm confused by this as well...everything I've read says Protein protein protein...then at my one week post op check up where I was cleared for pureed my NUT tells me I can basically eat whatever my family is eating as long as there is protein blended in as well and not to worry too much about carbs because I've got to get my calorie intake up much higher. sauces, gravies, whatever is needed to thin the food out is ok and not to worry about low fat etc until later when I'm on mushies. This sounds o wrong o me, I'm scared he's setting me up for failure and bad habits in the long run. Now I'm at a loss or what to do (or eat!)...

I'm confused by this as well...everything I've read says Protein Protein protein...then at my one week post op check up where I was cleared for pureed my NUT tells me I can basically eat whatever my family is eating as long as there is protein blended in as well and not to worry too much about carbs because I've got to get my calorie intake up much higher. Sauces' date=' gravies, whatever is needed to thin the food out is ok and not to worry about low fat etc until later when I'm on mushies. This sounds o wrong o me, I'm scared he's setting me up for failure and bad habits in the long run. Now I'm at a loss or what to do (or eat!)...[/quote']

I don't think he's setting you up for any kind of failure. Keep in mind that the sleeve as a stand alone surgery is relatively new to the United States. What I have noticed is that early sleevers were put on very restrictive diets for much longer periods of time. As far as diets go we are still in the learning stage The trend that I have seen is that the very restrictive diets were probably not necessary though they are likely more beneficial to weight loss. Whereas what you have been recommended will likely be easier to handle & result in less head hunger & cravings. The restriction you have will create the weight loss. Yes, your NUT is one of the most progressive I've heard, but I don't believe that he is causing you any harm.

Hi folks. I havent been sleeved yet. Hoping for late sept date. I am reading about the carb/ mashed potatoes. I believe though the bulk of your meal should be protien. You should have 20-40 G of carbs to give you enough energy to digest your protien and keep your body from going into starvation mode No less than 800 cal a day . I am an RN and i do a lot of diet teaching. Go figure

I don't think he's setting you up for any kind of failure. Keep in mind that the sleeve as a stand alone surgery is relatively new to the United States. What I have noticed is that early sleevers were put on very restrictive diets for much longer periods of time. As far as diets go we are still in the learning stage The trend that I have seen is that the very restrictive diets were probably not necessary though they are likely more beneficial to weight loss. Whereas what you have been recommended will likely be easier to handle & result in less head hunger & cravings. The restriction you have will create the weight loss. Yes' date=' your NUT is one of the most progressive I've heard, but I don't believe that he is causing you any harm.[/quote']

Thanks! I'm going to keep my focus on Protein and do what it takes to get down what I can. I barely feel like drinking - now I gotta eat too!

Oh also try low fat ricotta ( best cheese ever) with honey, or light cottage cheese and shredded green veggies... I use light cc in lasagne with spinach and nutmeg instead of fatty bechamel!