Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Can I Take Vitamin Tablets?

I am two weeks post-op tomorrow. The next time I will see my surgeon will be three months out. (They are not big on post-op anything here LOL)

They gave me an all- B-vits shot last Thursday when I went to take my stitches out and when I asked about taking Vitamins, the nurse said , "Oh you shouldn't need to!"

Now I am sure this is a heap of bunk, and I suffer from cramp which can be exacerbated by low Vitamin D and potassium. I would like to take some multivits and a D supplement but not sure how well it will go down seeing as I'm still on full liquids.I take a PPI capsule (Lanzor)every day that goes down fine, and liquid vitamins are not available here- any ideas when I'll be able to swallow a Multivitamin?

I was told to start all Vitamins on the puree stage (2 weeks). As long as its not bigger than a pencil eraser I can swallow it. Bigger than that I need to crush. Capsules I break open and sprinkle in my food.< /p>

My surgeon recommends two Flintones (or similar) chewable vitamins for post op.

Most Vitamins are really big. I would do chewable and If they don't have any do children's chewable . But that is a good question for the older sleevers. I am even Adfraid to take a ppi ( Prilosec ). So am taking Pepcid. As far as follow up mine is in three months also lol I was like. What don't you want to see me in a month or something lol

Centrum makes an adult cheable Multi-Vitamin. My surgeon is advising 2 multi-vites a day. one int he morning one at night. I've started takeing the Centrum chewable, just to get used to it. It's an orange flavor and really not too bad.

My program says 1 month is when you can switch to pills/capsules. It was a little hard even then so you may have to break them in half.

I started on Vitamins when I got home because I could tolerate them just fine. At this point you should probably be fine. My doctors office recommends Bariatric Advantage because they are made specifically for Bariatric patients. Get Bariatric Advantage Multi with B complex, take 30 mg of Iron, dry Vitamin d3 5000 mg, and Calcium chewables. All of these you can get online. I found Diet Direct online, and have been happy with their prices and service. you don't take your d and calcium at the same time as your iron, so i take my multi and iron early morn, and then 2 calcium chews and vit d3 in afternoon and 2 more calcium chews before bed. Oh, I almost forgot, do B-12 under the tongue as well.. dosage is 1000 mg every day as long as you are not over your labs. I was taking too much b-12 and got crusty dry Patches on the sides of my mouth due to excessive amount of b - 12, so stay within you limits on your labwork. Home this helps. There are alot of other places to get the Bariatric Advantage vits online, such as Amazon.com

My surgeon started me on chewable flintstones the day I went home from the hospital (day 6). At my 2 week follow-up visit, my nutritionist added chewable calcium citrate (after the sleeve procedure our Calcium must be in this form...not the form found in TUMS, or many other calcium supplements), with Vitamin D, and a Vitamin B12. If you're taking a Multi-Vitamin and Calcium/Vit D, you have to be careful to space your pills carefully. If you take Calcium within 2 hours of a multi-vitamin, the calcium won't be absorbed (because of the Iron in the vitamin). Also, your body can only absorb 500mg of calcium at a time, so you have to split the daily dose over the course of the day (if you're taking more than 500mg/day). I use Celebrate's "Calcium Plus 500," which include the amount of Vitamin D I need (1000IU/day). The daily dose is 3 chewables per day, taken at least 2 hours apart. I also use Celebrate's Vitamin B12, which is a sublingual tablet (it dissolves under your tongue). The cherry versions of each of these are pretty tasty, and they contain no sugar, or aspartame. (If your not a fan of cherry, Celebrate will send a sample pack of every vitamin/mineral supplement they sell...I think its $9, and gives you the ability to taste each of the many different flavors they have, before investing a lot of money.) All the best.

I spent all this money on the "celebrate" brand and got the Multi-Vitamin, Iron bad Calcium. They all make me sick at my stomach. I have spread them out over the day and that does not help. I may be headed to Flintstones. Ha