Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PreOp chaos

hi guys, it seems like its been forever since I have posted last. After i found out that I was accepted to have the surgery, all my enthusiasm about it seemed to go down the tube.. (i know.... that doesnt make any sense)

i had a ton of high expectations of what kind of things I would have to do pre-op because of you guys, but all I got was a lousy 5 minutes( more like three minutes) with a dietician who told me to have shakes, salads, yogurts and leaner meats pre op.

I have had everything from barbque ribs, to indian food, frosting, to whatever, on top of my slim fasts and everything. I havent really been able to force my real feelings up to the surface. My surgery is september 5th, about five days away.

there was no real requirements, but they did expect me to lose weight and i havent lost a pound... do you think they will cancel me out? why cant i stick to the diet?

We'll you're either having a severe case of the "last meals" or you may not be ready for a committment to the new lifestyle change. It's probably the first.

I think most of us went through a the "last meal" phase. About a week before surgery my best friend and I went out for one last hurrah...Outback. I had cheese fries, bloomin' onion, breaded mushrooms plus dinner and several drinks then afterward we waddled to the ice cream parlor and had a cone. It was quite the sight! But, I was blowing off steam and nothing more.

After surgery I stuck to the plan and have begun to be happy about healthy eating. And now that I have my band I know for myself that life hasn't really changed all that much and so it wasn't really necessary to have put myself through that stress.

If you really, really want this then you'll be fine. If you aren't excited about your surgery then perhaps you could take some time to make sure you feel comfortable with everything because being successful is going to require a lot of dedication to yourself.

Only you know if you're just nervous with a bad case of the "last meals" or if you deep down don't want to do this. I hope your decision comes easy for you and let us know how you're feeling. Good luck! I think you'll be fine!

Aww :) hang in there. I know exactly what you mean, after all the things I (we) went thru to get the date, I lost all the excitement. You'll feel differently after your surgery. Good luck on Tuesday WHOOT !!!!!

I did the pre-op for 2 weeks, however, because of my size I only had to for 1 week....it was my choice to do the 2. So, you still have time.

My pre-op instructions were lowfat cottage cheese and yogurt, sugar free Jello, and the odd clear Fluid only. I had the last meal cravings every minute of every day but I toughed it out. My surgeon made it perfectly clear that the more fat I reduced around the liver area the easier the surgery would be.....I would presume that he meant safer too.

So, I think if you fast for the next few days you'd only be helping yourself.....isn't that what this entire experience is anyhow!....helping yourself?

Good Luck

Carol

I'm going to be banded on Sept 5. I am supposed to be on the two-week liquid diet right now. I have done great the past week and a half....

Today my husband brought home Burger King and I stole one of his fries..... and then I went down to BK myself and got a chicken sandwich. I feel so so so guilty. Has anyone else cheated this bad?? I think I may go throw it up.

I have had the same feelings. When I was approved I was giddy. Since 2 weeks or so has passed, Ive cruised this forum, now understand fully my responsibility to the band, my giddiness is gone and replaced with reserved calm. Im sure the week if surgery I'll be excited again!! I guess i naively expected everyone to be thrilled with their band, then this forum opened my eyes and mind to the enormous variance of experiences. If we stay committed to this endeavor I think we will be fine.

I did the same clear liquid diet 2 weeks before I was banded on aug 28th. I have to tell you that was one of the roughest thing I have ever done. I even woke up at night because of hunger pains. After being faithful for about a week, I broke down and ate a baked chicken breast. My hunger pains went away, and I wasnt as nervous and was able to think. I continued to follow the doctors order about the diet, but made sure for dinner I ate a small piece of protien. My surgery went well, and I was able to stay on clears this week with the band in place, and feel full.The feeling was much different than before the band. total weight loss after 3 weeks on liquids is 13 pounds. I am sure I would have lost more if I had not cheated, but I am happy with the results. Good Luck!

I was on full fluids the week before the surgery and could have clear Soups and Tomato Soup, yogurt, ice pops, lite ricotta cheese (4 oz), Protein Shakes, etc,. The day before surgery I had to do clear fluids only. Follow the prescribed diet from now until the day of surgery and I doubt you'll have a problem.

Eating is definitely emotional and you're always emotional when facing surgery. How many times do we eat because the food is there but we're not hungry? It's like we believe if you don't eat all you can shove in now, you'll never have it again. Well, post-banding you CAN eventually have whatever you want. The band will help you make better choices (hopefully) and control amounts of the food you desire.

Good luck with the surgery.

I have one week till surgery and yes I cheated and was going to cancel the operation thinking I blew it, yes the hunger pains were terrible. But I am going to stick to it now, one week left and only Protein shakes and clear Soup for me. Should we be taking our daily chewable Vitamin during this time? I was told to start after surgery but I don't think it could hurt anything.

Patty

Nevada

We've all been there, just do the best you can! The "last meal" syndrome is a really strong force! Please try to get through the few days before your surgery following the pre-op diet...it will help to shrink your liver. The liver is "in the way" during the operation, and the smaller it is, the easier the surgery is. Make sense?

My surgeon gave me full-color pictures of my liver, and told me he could tell I did well on the pre-op diet (I didn't follow it exactly, but I did it good enough!) because my liver was nice and pink and not white and fatty looking.

So, do your best...quit thinking "perfect." That perfectionism thinking is what got us here in the first place, or so I am starting to think....

I know how you feel I have been having the same problem. I have lapband surgery on September 6. I have resolved to stay on my liquid diet and if I get too hungry, I will take some of the suggestions above to help suppress my appetite.

I went crazy with last supper and last Breakfast and last lunch!

Some people have to some don't. I was only required to lose 10% of my weight presurgery. I only lost 13 pounds. But that was enough to make a huge difference. The week before I did liquids.

It all has to do with the liver. If it is too fatty it will make the operation more difficult (they have to move it out of the way to access your stomach). It also has to do with your comfort after surgery.

Do yourself a favor and do a liquid thing till surgery. Its only a few days. Get yourself mentally and physically into it. It will help so very much for your diet requirements after. Also, it keeps you pretty clean inside so you might not get as much gas. Gas can get very painful.

I also recommend an enema or laxative the night before. I did the enema thing after a week on liquids and I had no gas problems at all. Just a small lower backache for a few days.

I am not a doc and I've only been banded for 4 whole weeks! So I am no expert by any means. I am sure that others did the liquid but still suffered from the gas pain. But it cannot hurt and it will be easier to stick to the liquids while healing.

You can do it!!!!

I've often said once I scheduled the actual surgery my life changed from that point on and I didnt do the last meal thing.

But that's not completely honest, whilst in the deciding phase, before I made the decision to go ahead, I ate like a pig for months. It was disgusting, and I was also motivated by not being quite fat enough at a BMI of 35 - well so I thought, turns out my doc will band patients from 30 or so, rules are much less stringent here in Australia. I was afraid to lose any weight though.

It is normal, and I doubt they'd cancel, and at least you havent gained a ton of weight.

Don't beat yourself up for a cheat here and there. I know I felt like I wanted to eat all of my favorite foods before my surgery. I didn't be I really wanted to.

We're all gonna make mistakes and have setbacks, the point is to get back on track and not let it ruin your enthusiasm.