Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still Suffering..and A Little Scared?!?! *bowel Issues*

Hi all. I am on day 10 of basically NO bowel movement at all. I was told to go to the ER 3 days ago. After an embarrassing rectal exam, they said there was nothing "down there." They did an x-ray and said they did not see any blockages and sent me on my way with colace. I've already tried colace, Milk of Mag, Miralax, Fiber, several enemas, Water, moving, you name it. All I consume is Protein. My surgery was on the 21st of May. I AM eating.

I am SO FULL. I can hardly eat, let alone drink my Protein. My weight loss has nearly halted. Nothing is moving. I've already posted about this once, and it's getting worse. Has anyone else experienced Constipation to this degree????

Someone in my group this week told me that was her only problem post-op (I'm pre). She warned me (not that it helps you now) to do some kind of bowel prep first.

So that's my fear... I'm used to coffee helping- but won't have that.

So sorry- I hope someone can help you. :(

You might try the Maic Green Bottle--magnesium citrate. It's a common and easily found laxative and it has never failed me. BUT, drink plenty of fluids (yes, it really matters) and walk a lot. You will be fine.

I'm going through it now. I was sleeved june 4th & ever since I've started foods I've been constipated. This is such a miserable feeling, I'm taking colace as well & nothing yet.

I would lower on the Protein and push the Water more so. Lazy kidneys and intestines happened to me after my hysterectomy and bowel resection.

There is a prescription medication that I used to use 'pre-surgery' caused Amitiza which works much better than colace. The issue is you need to up your Water intake. I know it's pushing it getting 64 ounces in, but you will have to push as much as y ou can to even get more for this issue.

I'm so sorry you are suffering like this. I didn't go yesterday and I felt miserable for just one day, my thoughts are with you. I literally walked around this morning doing the please let me go poopy today mantra.

Hi, I couldn't go either. I was told to take miralax. it -barely- helped. but* i decided to slowly sip on an iced capp, and viola! all better in less than an hour- and i mean astoundingly better, more than i had EVER gone before at one time.

I heard that as long as it is only a little caffeine it is okay- just not too hot, not too much...

I was 10 days after my surgery before I had my first BM - for me it was 3 days in a row of MOM before I went. Since then I'm still constipated unless I eat something my sleeve doesn't like and boy, watch out. Maybe try a day where you focus on getting in your Water and tay away from the protein... one day without it shouldn't hurt and the water may help you go.

My gastric dr told me to take a laxative called Perdium. It is a vegetable laxative. It is easier on our bellies. I have also eaten prunes and they work too.

You might try the Maic Green Bottle--magnesium citrate. It's a common and easily found laxative and it has never failed me. BUT, drink plenty of fluids (yes, it really matters) and walk a lot. You will be fine.

Doesn't the magnesium citrate have carbonation? Also, there is no way I could drink the entire bottle with my fancy "smaller" stomach. :P

Hi. This may sound a little weird - but I found out the hard way that it works. One day at work I was drinking coffee when I thought it looked slightly frothy. I suddenly realized the coffee cup hadn't been rinsed well enough and there was a tad of dish detergent residue still in it. That sent me into the bathroom for quite some time. And as a result - I lost a pound!! When you're close by your own bathroom - try a tiny dot of dish washing liquid in your coffee. Im only suggesting a teeny dot I swear it'll clean you out. Or - have you tried Activia?? Two containers of that and you'll be smiling again. Please don't think I'm weird suggesting the detergent. I found out purely by accident. The only reason I'm even mentioning it is because your email sounds desperate. ESP since you mentioned going to the ER. GOOD LUCK.

I was re-admitted to the hospital for dehydration and Constipation. They gave me IV fluids and magnesium citrate. It took me about 2.5 hours to drink the magnesium citrate, but it worked.

I'm glad you finally got to go!!! That must've been uncomfortable. I'm still pre op, so I haven't been through this stuff yet... :/ lol

Hi. This may sound a little weird - but I found out the hard way that it works. One day at work I was drinking coffee when I thought it looked slightly frothy. I suddenly realized the coffee cup hadn't been rinsed well enough and there was a tad of dish detergent residue still in it. That sent me into the bathroom for quite some time. And as a result - I lost a pound!! When you're close by your own bathroom - try a tiny dot of dish washing liquid in your coffee. Im only suggesting a teeny dot I swear it'll clean you out. Or - have you tried Activia?? Two containers of that and you'll be smiling again. Please don't think I'm weird suggesting the detergent. I found out purely by accident. The only reason I'm even mentioning it is because your email sounds desperate. ESP since you mentioned going to the ER. GOOD LUCK.

WELL, when I've had coffee with a little cream that was..slightly beyond the due date it has made me go...I wonder if it wasn't the detergent but the fact that that part of the cup had cream/milk still on it (detergent and milk not completely washed away) that had gone bad vs. detergent.

Haha...I'm thinking of how Drs. always yell at you when you tell them other people's stories and they're like "Oh you read it on the internet and you consider that medical advice?!?" LOL Can you imagine telling your doctor..."so I drank some dish detergent and I find it very therapuedic."

Now that is Interesting! I will try that lol

I am so sorry for what you went through but I truly know how you feel!

I am pre sleeve(July 25th is my date) but I take narcotic pain killers for Chronic Pain which slows down your bowels and I have been on these since i was 18, about 9 years! Anyhow, of course once i started getting to the stronger ones the worse it got.

I sometimes go a week without going to the bathroom when it gets really bad and it hurts so badly and you just feel so blah and miserable.

This is the ONLY thing I am really worried about with the sleeve is that my Constipation will be worse(is that possible?)!!!

I have tried so many different things from laxatives, enemas, suppositories, Fiber, Water Water water, you name it i've tried it and nothing seems to really work for me because it's just the fact that my meds slow down my colon.

I really hope that once i shed 100lbs i can pretty much reduce my pain meds by over half which would be a great help i'm sure.

Anyhow, I'm glad your better and I hope you don't have anymore problems!

Johnathan