Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ill be having my surgery July 9th and I'm so worried about loose skin!! I've seen people that have had the GBYpass and their skin is so loose it doesn't look good at all. I there anything I can do NOW to prevent or even minimize it???

it depends on your age and your starting stats. I have no loose skin, and I have dropped 95lbs. I have a few wrinkles on my abdomen-- not bad at all!!!

Tons of loose skin here. Had vsg when I was 31 and had been obese since maybe 10 years old. I look 80 naked but 20 in clothes so I don't mind :)

It also depends on if you have had kids, c-section etc. Working out will definitely minimize some of it but not all of it if your older. I will definitley have plastic surgery after reaching goal with out a doubt. I do not plan on wearing a bikini anyway so it won't bother me for some loose skin until I get it. Most people see you with clothes on so you can hide the bad areas until things are fixed.

People will tell you otherwise, but honestly - there's not much you can do. It mostly depends on things like:

• your age
  • the condition of your skin (sun damage, etc.)
  • how overweight you have been
  • how long you have been overweight
  • genetic propensity
  • lifestyle/health (smoking, etc.)
  • how your extra weight was distributed on your frame
  • Etc

There's a lot of misinformation about this. Here are something I know and/or strongly believe to be accurate.

• Skin is an elastic organ. When stretched significantly, for a significant amount of time, you will have saggy skin.
  • It really doesn't too much matter how quickly or slowly you lose the weight - this is more true the heavier you were (someome with 10 lbs to lose can lose it overnight and their skin is probably just fine, or they can lose it over a year and their skin is equally fine... someone with 300 lbs to lose can lose it overnight or over a year and either way their skin is toast).
  • Exercising doesn't "shrink" the skin, though it can bulk up muscles which might give the appearance of the skin being less droopy.
  • Compression garments do not tighten the skin. They can help shape the skin (e.g. during healing after PS) but they cannot tighten it.

Those are all the urban legend type things I can think of off-hand...

I'm 29yrs old and I'm 314. Well last time I was weighted I was 289 a few days ago. I've always been over weight since real little. My weight is even all over my body and I have one child with c section. Does that change anything cuz if c section too?

I'll need to have surgery but I knew that going in.... My apron was already a problem as was my breast. Now I see my arms will probably need some work. But I feel so much better It will be worth it. Don't worry so much you will be better for it.

I've been thinking a lot about this also! I'm like really paranoid that having loose skin will make me feel worse than actually being fat :/ but I've come to the realization that I am doing this to be healthy and live a longer life, and I need to remember that! Nothing will stop me from getting this done (:

I'm 33- have been significantly overweight my adult life- have 4 kids (2 c sections, 2 natural)- need to lose about 120lbs. I'm already preparing myself emotionally that this will be a hurdle for me. Like you I have done research and I feel like there is very little that can make a huge difference with sagging skin. I guess I feel like its something I have to come to terms with before surgery. I guess I will invest in lots of compression clothing and hope for the best until its a good time for me to consider plastic sergery. :) Which I am most definatly going to be doing! ;)

I won't be sleeved until August or September but am already starting a skin routine. I moisturize daily with a mix of Almond/coconut/vitamin e/grapeseed/jojoba oil and I am starting my dry skin brushing routine. This is where I learned about it. http://t-tapp.com/success/michellep/index.html It may not take care of it completely but I am sure it will be better then nothing. Actually, to be honest, I am only moisturizing the right side of my torso so I can see if I SEE a difference. :) And my inner thighs. yikes.

I'll start skin brushing when I start my pre op diet. It sounds crazy but I know too many people it has helped.

StrangelyNormal- what's skin brushing???

I'll start skin brushing when I start my pre op diet. It sounds crazy but I know too many people it has helped.

I read about skin brushing a long time ago (about 7 years ago on a Low Carb forum) and from what I read it helps (of course its not going to be a miracle) I did it a few times, but never stuck with it to see any results. Thanks for mentioning it, I totally forgot and think I would like to try it again and see if I can get any results.

Theres a lot of info on it, even videos people have made, heres some info I found, I'll just copy and paste.

It is WELL known that the Skin is the LARGEST Organ in the Body, and is responsible for one-fourth of the Body's Detoxification each day, also making it, one of the most IMPORTANT Elimination Organs! The Skin is also known as the "3rd" Kidneys and the Lungs are known as the "2nd" Kidneys. TOXICITY can gather beneath the Skin's Surface from such COMMON Influences such as IMPROPER pH levels in Body, Soaps, Skin Creams and Anti-Perspirants, plus Synthetic Fibers worn NEXT to the Skin with ANY of them contributing to a variety of Skin Problems and Conditions. When you do Skin Brushing, you HELP your Lymph System to CLEAN itself of the TOXINS, that COLLECT in the Lymph Glands. You use a Simple Technique to IMPROVE the Surface Circulation on the Skin and KEEP the Pores of the Skin OPEN, encouraging your Body's Discharge of Metabolic Wastes, and resulting in an IMPROVED ability to COMBAT Bacteria, plus HELPING your Skin to look and feel HEALTHIER and MORE RESILIENT! Skin Brushing is a PERFECT Treatment for SELF-HELP Enthusiasts.

• Benefits:
  • TIGHTENS Skin.
  • HELPS Digestion.
  • REMOVES cellulite.< /span>
  • STIMULATES Circulation.
  • INCREASES Cell Renewal.
  • CLEANS Lymphatic System.
  • REMOVES Dead Skin Layers.
  • STRENGTHENS Immune System.
  • IMPROVES Exchange between Cells.
  • STIMULATES the Glands, thus helping ALL of the
    Body Systems to perform at PEAK EFFICIENCY!

1. How To Do:
  2. Buy a NATURAL, NOT Synthetic, Bristle Brush, since it does NOT SCRATCH the Surface of the Skin.
  3. Buy a Brush with a LONG Handle, so that you're ABLE to get to the Areas of your Body, that are NOT EASY to reach, when doing your own Skin Brushing.
  4. Skin Brush, before Showering or Bathing, at least ONCE per day, and TWICE, if possible.
  5. Do NOT wet Skin, since it will NOT have the SAME Effect, because this stretches the Skin.
  6. ALWAYS Skin Brush towards the Heart.
  7. Do Circular Counter-Clockwise Strokes on the Abdomen.
  8. Do LIGHTER Strokes over and around Breasts, but do NOT Brush the Nipples.
  9. Brush each part of the Body several times VIGOROUSLY, COMPLETELY Brushing the WHOLE Body.
  10. Brush the Soles of the Feet FIRST, because the Nerve Endings there affect the WHOLE Body, next Brush the Ankles, Calves, and Thighs, then Brush across your Stomach and Buttocks and lastly Brush your Hands to the Arms.
  11. Take a WARM Bath or Shower, which should always be followed by a COOL Rinse at the end to INVIGORATE Blood Circulation and STIMULATE Surface Warmth.
  12. Wash your Brush every few Weeks in Water and let it DRY.