Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I realized/found out tonight I will never be able to serve as a nurse in the Naval Reserve Nurse Corps because of having the sleeve. :( :( :( :( :( :( I want to say that I would still have had the surgery if I had known that beforehand.....I *think* that is true. I suppose I could reason that I wouldn't have been able to meet their height/weight requirements if I hadn't had the surgery.

You would think I would have researched it, since being a Navy nurse has been a lifelong dream....but I didn't think about it at all. I am only just now licensed as an RN and was going to wait a few years before joining.

Majorly bummed. I feel like I'm mourning the loss of my dream.

I have so much respect for those in the military and felt that serving them and my country as a nurse would be the most rewarding career possible....perhaps working as a civilian in a military hospital or at the VA would be just as fulfilling.

Why is that? Why would they not allow you to serve? So strange. I feel for you.

That is crazy. I'm an RN and I don't understand why they would exclude u just because of this surgery.

That's heartbreaking to hear... I'm really sorry. What is their justification?

I don't understand this, but I am almost willing to bet that this policy will change as more reseach is done and the sleeve becomes more widely known. Would you have been able to join if you had undergone a different type of WL surgery?

Ism sorry to hear that :( it must have to do with keeping you hydrated during deployment in hot climates.

Heck yeah, think about the Army, go Army Beat Navy. The VA needs nurses and so does the Army so your dream of serving in the military is still possible. Hooahhhhh.

I once knew someone who was denied joining the army because, as a baby, he had a hole in his heart repaired. He was perfectly healthy at 21, but they wouldn't even consider him. I'm sorry for your disappointment, but I believe there is an even better dream soon to be fulfilled, that has been waiting for you to let go of the old one. This is how the universe works.

Have you considered being a civilian nurse that works for the Navy? Contractors and civilians make more money than active duty anyways. Active duty isn't all its cracked up to be when you consider that you give up all your freedoms. The current political situation is also creating a very bad environment within the military no matter which branch of service you're talking about. I don't believe that you are missing out on anything good by not being able to join the military. I have been associated with the military since the day that I was born and I just don't recommend it to anyone anymore. Today's military isn't the same kind of military that our parents and grandparents supported. Surrendering your life to organizations that are controlled by immoral and devious people isn't in anyone's best interest especially when those people care more about money than human life.

Why do 25 soldiers commit suicide for every one killed in combat? It's certainly not because they are proud of what they have been forced to do in the military or what has been done to them: http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

The military is downsizing right now so they aren't letting a lot of people join. If you have tattoos down your arms or on your neck, they are turning you away. If you spend too much time at one rank, they are chaptering you out. If you have too many article 15's they are chaptering you out. If they don't need your MOS and you're low on the totem pole, you are out. So the military is being very picky right now. They may have denied you because of all the physical stuff you have to go through and down range they may not be able to care for you. You and I both know you are healed and fine and able to do anything strenuous but they probably don't know the long term affects of this surgery and are not taking chances.

This is why I love this site because we can agree to disagree. I believe that there is nothing wrong with serving in any military branch, yesterday, today and tomorrow and some believe that one should never serve or should not serve in today's military. To each his or her own right and my you make the best choice for you. Good luck to you however you serve because you are in a good profession.

As upsetting as it is, I can understand their hesitancy. All service men & women are first soldiers & secondly their MOS. in theheat of battle it is very possible that you may not have the opportunity to stop & eat for long stretches of time (possibly even days) and when you do you'd have to pack in all the nourishment your body can handle.

I empathize with the loss of a dream, but there is more than one way to serve our country & as was stated before in this thread, it is very common for military hospitals to have civilian contractors.

Awwwww I'm so sorry!! I'm very sad for you. :( This could be the Lord's way of telling you that the Vets need you here!! It's a closed door because you're meant to go through another. I hope you find fulfillment wherever you serve.

"History of any gastrointestinal procedure for the control of obesity is disqualifying. Artificial openings, including, but not limited to ostomy (V44), are disqualifying."

I mean, I can see where they are coming from....I read on other forums where in training they want you to chug liquids or eat your food in a matter of minutes....not allowing vitamins/supplements in training. Most of the discussion I have read have been directed to bypass/lap band patients.

I haven't tried to join yet, I was on a nursing forum and reading how many hoops you have to jump through. Someone mentioned having to explain every scar on your body in MEPS and I starting looking in to medical disqualifications.

My original dream was to be a career Navy nurse.....but I got pregnant and am doing the single parent thing. I figured the reserves was going to be a happy medium (with my parents taking the necessary steps to care for my daughter in the event of a deployment/activation/whatever). I was going to wait til I got a few years of experience and then join the reserve as a nurse. Oh well. New plan!

I will have to look into something civilian when I'm ready to serve . Thanks for the responses....feeling better this morning. I just kind of felt blindsided when I found out!

"Bariatric surgery represents a major and permanent change in your digestive system that requires strict adherence to a specific dietary regimen that may interfere with operational deployment. A history of bariatric surgery is already a bar to military service and receiving bariatric surgery while on active duty may be grounds for separation. For more information, view the Health Affairs Policy 07-006."

I would appeal if possible. We are not gastric bypass patients and do not require a specific dietary regimen due to malabsorbtion. During the weight loss phase, a high Protein diet is needed, but in maintenance I don't think this is always the case. Small, normal meals should do. This is no different than any overweight soldier on a prescribed diet. They should be eating high Protein as well and is possible in the field. We have no problem drinking and staying hydrated.

The military needs to review the Gastric Sleeve.

That said, a contract nurse or VA nurse would be a most admirable choice. I am really impressed on your wish to join the military. When a lot of this country seems to be going to the dogs, there are young people like you, my younger brother and my friend's sons and daughters who honorably serve and yearn to serve.

Thank you Bnorms!!!