Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Computer Exper..Help Please

I was on line the other day looking for travel arrangements and one of those sites must have jinxed my computer.

Every time I go to a web site, I get that irritating message that pops up and says the Internet has experienced problems and MUST close now and then you get knocked off the Internet, WTF? Then you have to start all over again, it even did it when I was trying to print my itinerary.

I have restored my computer back to dates before I did the travel search, I'm so near getting another computer, cause I can't stand that dam message :) .

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Do you have Norton Antivirus or something like it? If so, do an update. If you have Windows, you can also do a Windows update. ??? I have no business answering this thread since I am NOT an expert, but it is good to see you posting! Hey! :wave:

I agree. It sounds like you've got adware or spyware. There are some good free programs out there that can take care of that for you - though heck if any of the names come to mind right now.

What browser are you using? I used to use IE and was constantly getting adware, spyware, trojans, and pop-ups. I switched to mozilla firefox about 6 weeks ago and it is much better than IE and Netscape in that respect. And it's free. :)

It sounds to me like you are suffering from a lack of security Patches from Microsoft.

It's probable you have picked up (or have been identified as vulnerable) by one of the more pervasive exploits that can be corrected by patching your OS.

You can:

1. Install Virus Protection, Update with the latest Virus Definitions and see if you can catch. quarantine / clean a virus.

2. Download and install Spybot Search and Destroy. It can clean out a LOT of browser exploits.

3. Perform a "destructive" restore wiping and rebuilding your OS install from scratch, then making OS Patches your top priority once rebuilt. If you are on dialup - You may be in for a tough run of things.

4. If you are on dialup, and you are running Windows XP Service Pack 1 (or earlier), have a friend download and burn Service Pack 2 for you. This will fix a lot of exploits and potentially help you get online safely.

5. Install a personal firewall on your system that could prevent an exploit re-infecting you after a restore.

Those are my top suggestions. Good luck.

I agree. It sounds like you've got adware or spyware. There are some good free programs out there that can take care of that for you - though heck if any of the names come to mind right now.

What browser are you using? I used to use IE and was constantly getting adware, spyware, trojans, and pop-ups. I switched to mozilla firefox about 6 weeks ago and it is much better than IE and Netscape in that respect. And it's free. :)

Just as a quick heads up, the trojan writers have realized the number of folks migrating to Firefox is growing exponentially and they've started directly targetting it now.

Keep everything as patched as possible. I recently had a friend who got a FireFox targetted downloader trojan. He had 250+ viruses and other trojans within 10 minutes.

Keep those firewalls on and patch, patch and patch again!

Just as a quick heads up, the trojan writers have realized the number of folks migrating to Firefox is growing exponentially and they've started directly targetting it now.

Those bastards! It's a good thing I have a router and a really really good anti-virus program.

I recommend that in addition to your virus scan, do a housecall scan http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ It is a FREE Web-based solution designed to scan your PC for a wide range of Internet security threats including viruses, worms, Trojans, and spyware. It gets stuff that your Norton, McCafee, etc. do not find.

Melissa Lea