Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you look in the mirror and still see the "old" you?

I know I'm a newbie to the band and that I haven't loss a ton of weight. Everytime my friends see me they tell me I look smaller but I don't see that when I look in the mirror. All I see is fat Sonya, I'll be so happy when I can acknowledge "phat" Sonya for who she is in all of her glory...lol (look at me talking in 3rd person).

yep!! yelling bingo is the best part!

This is a hard one - I didnt see the "fat" me when I looked in the mirror. Now I dont see a "new" me but the image of me I have in my head more closely matches reality.

Does that make sense? I never ever saw how fat I really was.

And I still see my face as it was 20 years ago too, lol, which is most definitely not reality now.

Gonnabethin -- LOL!!!

TriciaK -- Ya tease. That looked like a great link. What a let down. :mad:

Jacqui -- Im just the opposite. Away from the mirror, the image I have of myself is young, fit, pretty. Then I catch my reflection in a mirror or window and it's a shock. Funny thing is, even when I WAS young and fit and pretty.. I didnt think I was. I had been a fat kid who's stepdad forced her to work off the weight in 7th grade. All thru Jr High and HS I felt fat AND saw fat when I looked in the mirror.

I just hope that one day, I will be fit and healthy and pretty and I'll be able to accept it and believe it!

I think this is something most of us have gone through. It usually takes a photo for us to realize how large we have gotten. It will also take a photo to see how much we have lost. Ten years ago I lost about 80lbs, and for the first 50, I swore my Dr (it was a medically supervised program) played games with the scale to keep us motivated. I was convinced that he kept artificially lowering it. At the time (leggings were still in style) all my clothes were stretchy, so I didn't realize that I had dropped so many sizes. It took a photo for me to "see" it. Even 80lbs lighter, I really didn't see a difference in the mirror.

I struggle with this on a weekly basis. I see the 'old me' in the mirror...all the original curves and bumps - even after losing over 100 pounds. I see little subtle changes but the overall looks the same. As you all have suggested, I have looked at photos and I see the difference there....but it is looking at the mirror or shadows - still big me.

I still see the old me *sigh*..I am down 77.5lbs and even though i see the weight loss i still feel HUGE...But i am slowly changing. ****I have a boyfriend now :mad: **** we have only been dating since 08/18 but i have been talking to him since 08/01//I am also noticing alot of other guys looking at me now :mad:..So Yes i still see the old me..But again its changing..

~Kristen

It took putting a photo of me as a naked pre op, with a photo of me as a naked post op TT'er to finally see the change, 18 months and 162lbs later.

It takes time for the brain to catch up with the new bod. For sure.

One Hundred and Sixty-two pounds. My god that's nothing short of incredible, Sammee. I pray that every time you look in the mirror you fully see the you that IS you, not just your new body but a you that is finally content with who you are. Incredible. Bravo girl.. bravo.

I don't see the "fluffy" (the term we use in our family instead of fat) me when I look in the mirror, but I see the fluffy me in pictures. Strange, huh? I do see my boob shrinking though when I look in the mirror.

I don't see the old me at 300 pounds but I think I see the me of about 40 pounds ago (240ish). And I haven't weighed that in over a year. I just think it takes time to catch up our image of ourselves. That's why I like clothing sizes! Can't argue with a 16!

. That's why I like clothing sizes! Can't argue with a 16!

I totally agree with this one ...I went from a 30-32 to a 22/24 right at this moment..Even though i don't see it in the mirror..I can def feel it in my clothes. :scalesno:

Another weird thing I've fairly recently taken notice of... I haven't had the life long struggles with weight. Mine started around the time I started college, but didn't really become an issue beyond "chubby" until about 8 years ago. So for a long time it would hit me like a knife to the heart when, for a split second, I'd see my reflection and think, "She's really big..." before I realized it was *my* reflection I was seeing. So I've definitely lived the part where I don't realize how big I am, and then I hide from cameras of all types because I don't want to have to face it.

The other day the opposite happened. I caught my reflection and was like, "Uh, she's big but not as big as me, I'll be happy when I get there" - and again realized it was my reflection I was seeing. What a shocker! Or when I see my profile and I'm not absolutely digusted. Now when I walk toward a glass door, instead of trying to do things to hide myself, I think, "Ok, I'm starting to look human again..." because for a very, very long time I saw myself as SO big that I just looked like a lump.

Yada yada. What I've really started taking notice of is that, always and always, I'm "skinny me" in my dreams. I've never dreamed of myself and been fat. I'm always me 9 or 10 years ago. And then every morning comes the sharp pain of having to see, all over again, what I've done to myself.

I still see me at 372. its hard. but every weekend we go to a club, and i swear the bartender reas my journal LOL he looks at me, gives me a hug, and nails exactly how much weight i have lost. its scary. and he keeps me floating on cloud nine. to me if i can't see it, i know others can. that makes me feel good.