Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intestine Problems *warning Graphic Wording

7 years ago I had terrible, horrible c-dif... in fact it was life threatening. it took a couple of months but I got over it and was fine and have not had a flare up since.

Now---I had my sleeve surgery in November and have lost about 70 pounds, I now weigh 178.5 YIPPI!!

I have never had bathroom problems except the occastional constipation/diarrhea that I would consider as normal. UNTIL..... about a week and a half ago I had diarrhea that was almost pure Water.. it would hit me and I had to go right that second..... I assumed I had eaten something that didn't agree with me... The frequency of having to go has gotten less. but I still have very, very loose diarrhea in fact it is practically Water. My intestine will gurgle and rumble and you can tell from the sound it is water gurgling in there. In a few minutes I will feel as if I have to go but cannot.. then sometimes I feel I just have gas.... and guess what.. it is more!!!

when I had c-dif.. the feces smelled different.. like a home permanent, the nurses said that if you ever smelled c-dif you would never forget it.. I agree.. my poop now smells just like normal poop. (don't you love the visual of me smelling my poop)

My question.... have any of you developed a irritable bowel or any intestine difficulties after having surgery???

Rhonda

I have had this for 13 years. Mine started after I had my gallbladder out. It is usually refered to as dumping syndrome, or that is what all of my doctors call it. My bariatric surgeon had really hoped that mine would resolve after my surgery, but it has not. It has gotten a bit better though. I use to have to go as many as 10 times a day. Now it is not hardly that many. You have the same symptoms. My doc gives Questran powder. I couldn't take it though. So I am still like I have been for years...if I have got to go, I have GOT to go.

Benisa... I have not even thought of "dumping"... I will have to look that up.

Rhonda

ok.. read a little about dumping.. I am having no cramps, sweats, sick feeling.. just a mild twinge in my gut that says... gotta go to the RR.. not really a cramp..

I am not eating anything different from what I have eaten for the last 7 months. I have had some suger but I really don't eat much sugar anyway.. This Diarrhea has gone on for more than a week non stop..

Can you folks give me list of your dumping symptons?

Rhonda

ok.. read a little about dumping.. I am having no cramps, sweats, sick feeling.. just a mild twinge in my gut that says... gotta go to the RR.. not really a cramp..

I am not eating anything different from what I have eaten for the last 7 months. I have had some sugar but I really don't eat much sugar anyway.. This Diarrhea has gone on for more than a week non stop..

Can you folks give me list of your dumping symptoms?

Rhonda

I do have cramps, sick feeling, flushing, blah, blah, blah. Mine is not related to a specific food. It is just caused by the intake of any food or drink..even Water. Maybe you just have a little intestinal imbalance. Try some acidophilus. Its a pro-biotic. It is very good for your digestive system. If you have a bit of a bad over growth or if your good flora is low, this will help balance it out. It is in regular yogurt, not sure about greek. You can get it in many different forms.

I am not nearly as far along as you are. My surgery was just April 16, but I can tell you that my RR "habits" are completely different. I either have Constipation that I have to take some MOM to get things moving, or I have the runs as you describe it... like Water and like when I gotta go, I better run, because I GOTTA GO!!! The biggest problem with that is that since I am not as far out as you are, I struggle to stay hydrated :( Ok, so here is my "graphic" part, when I have the runs, it is yellow in color. In fact, since surgery, I have yet to have a BM that is not yellow or yellow/orange in color!!! WTF???? It also smells bad, not like a home perm, just vile as if someone would ask me What the heck have you been eating!!!

I hope it gets better soon and am looking forward to what others might have to say. Oh, I also do not get flush, shakey, or any other symptoms of "dumping syndrome". Just gotta go...

Ok, so here is my "graphic" part, when I have the runs, it is yellow in color. In fact, since surgery, I have yet to have a BM that is not yellow or yellow/orange in color!!! WTF???? It also smells bad, not like a home perm, just vile as if someone would ask me What the heck have you been eating!!!

What kind of yellow? Like neon Mellow Yellow colored? If so, my doc said that that is bile pouring through the digestive system. Just like what you throw-up when you have the stomach virus. It's kind of freakie...

Ok, let's talk poop. And let's not be shy. :)

Please do explain the "yellow" color. And if it varies, include all variations you've noticed. Are you on any medications? Yellow diarrhea that just sort of comes out of nowhere is most often from an infection, but not always. And fever, lethargy, etc? (an answer of "no" doesn't necessarily mean anything). A lack of bile can also cause yellow diarrhea/poop. Do you have your gallbladder? (The gallbladder is just a "storage pump" - bile irregularities are generally more centric to the liver where the bile is produced).

Generically, make sure you're getting hydration primarily from something with electrolytes such as Gatorade. Until you're doing better you might also want to avoid fatty foods, anything spicy, or with lots of caffeine, alcohol, etc. <- common sense, I know, but still good to keep in mind.

Great answers ladies, I hope to hear more. I just had my VSG and my gall bladder removed on May 15. I "go" about 8-10 times a day, and it's always colorful! :unsure:

I am hoping things even out soon~ I don't want to have to run to a bathroom every single time I take a bite to eat or a sip.

This morning, was the first time I tried even a tiny bit of a Protein Shake that contains milk, and it literally shot out of my body! :huh: I was not a happy girl! I know I have to try to get some more in, to see if I am lactose intolerant, guess I plan for an evening at home! pfff!

Have you introduced gluten back into your diet?

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hit send too soon!

Gluten gave me IBS symptoms for 20yrs and I had no idea it was the glyten doing it until my daughter was diagnosed with celiac and we all went gf. My symptoms cleared up completely.

Now with that said - I too am now having this "got to go now" issue since the sleeve 7d ago.

It's neon yellow and "oh my" smell.

It makes sense it's bile in the digestive system but I had my gbladder out 3 years ago and dont remember having this issue.

I also now keep an emergency kit in my trunk - pad, panties, and pants just in case!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Ok' date=' let's talk poop. And let's not be shy. :)

Please do explain the "yellow" color. And if it varies, include all variations you've noticed. Are you on any medications? Yellow diarrhea that just sort of comes out of nowhere is most often from an infection, but not always. And fever, lethargy, etc? (an answer of "no" doesn't necessarily mean anything). A lack of bile can also cause yellow diarrhea/poop. Do you have your gallbladder? (The gallbladder is just a "storage pump" - bile irregularities are generally more centric to the liver where the bile is produced).

Generically, make sure you're getting hydration primarily from something with electrolytes such as Gatorade. Until you're doing better you might also want to avoid fatty foods, anything spicy, or with lots of caffeine, alcohol, etc. <- common sense, I know, but still good to keep in mind.[/quote']

I still have my gallbladder. I am not eating any fatty foods, no caffeine since before my pre-op diet, no alcohol since pre-op, no sugar at least other than what is in fruit naturally or part of milk sugar that is naturally occurring. I don't drink gatorade because I don't want that sugar.

In the past, about 26 years ago, I had an inflamed gallbladder, but no gall stones. I had one flair and never had another. So, now I am still not sure what is going on.

I will email the nurse and ask tomorrow with a cc to my pcp. I am glad I work at the hospital and I can just drop an email or send a page. Oh, and no fever, no pains, not lethargic either. Yes I have had wheat and grits as well.

I'll let you know if I get any answers. Thanks for posting your response. I appreciate it.

I'm so glad this topic was posted. I've been having this issue as well, but too shy to post about it!

I am currently 8 days post-op (May 14) and have been having yellow liquid BMs since day 4 post-op. They are quite odourous as well! Initially I thought it might be a reaction to the barium I drank for the swallow test on day 3 post-op, but it's been 5 more days since, and they are still happening. Sometimes it is right after eating or drinking (not usually after Water though). Other times it's hours after eating. I go about 4-5 times a day. It makes it tricky to keep hydrated, since I seem to be losing quite a bit of hydration this way!

I also had my gall bladder out 13 years ago and have had digestive issues ever since. Quite normally (though not always), approx. 30 min after eating most meals, I had a sudden urgent need to go to the bathroom and it was often very loose. I didn't get sweats, flushing or the shakes (then, or now).

I am assuming (and hoping!) that once I get to mushy and then solid foods that my BMs will settle down, become more solid, less frequent and more normal in composition and colour!

I will be watching this Rhonda because that is me tonight pure liquid ....I am only 6 days out but didn't know if this was normal.

Could be celiac disease. To properly diagnose cd is to have an endoscopy done and they will do a biopsy while in there. Cd can make your stools and gas odors seem lethal. If you just had the vsg done and you are having diarrhea it could be that you have an infection somewhere. Please go to your dr ASAP for anything you may think is wrong. Because you know your body best. Good luck to all.