Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't feel any restriction

I was banded on 8/11 and I don't feel any restriction at all. I have been staying mainly with liquids. I have lost only one pound since my pre-surgery weight. It is difficult for me to stay on track. I want to hurry up and be filled to a tight cinch so I won't be able to consume so much. I don't have much willpower, obviously. I hope things change a lot after the first fill. Has anyone else been through this experience?

:help:

This is the time for healing, you won't feel any restriction because your band is empty. When you start getting fills, you will start the restriction part. Don't be surprised if it takes 3-5 fills before you feel a good restriction.

Mert,

I'm a fairly new bandster myself. I didn't feel any restriction after surgery either. Remember, you are in healing phase, not weight loss phase. I had to keep telling myself that because I really wanted to get the show on the road and start losing.

I've had one fill in my VG band. My surgeon is very conservative in his fill approach, but I trust his skill and judgement. I would say I still don't have restriction, but I don't have the food craving, especially at night that used to plague me. I'm losing slowly. I have another fill scheduled for next week and as much as I would like him to cinch it up tight, I know he won't.

Dr. Smith does his fills under Fluro. It was very interesting to watch. He started with 3.5 cc in my band and had me swallow some barium. I could see that nothing was going thru and he said he needed to take a little out. He made sure the barium was slowly flowing out my pouch. I think this is better - I've not had any PB issues. Yes, I would like to lose faster, but I do think I'm taking the healthier route.

Hang in there! It is a waiting game. I have to tell myself all the time to be patient. The weight is not going to fall off over night and I have to make good choices and work with this tool!

Terry ;)

TX Terry, Thanks for the reply. I got a vg band too. what does it mean?

I guess I need to think Protein protein protein until my first fill. That is the only thing that stops the hunger for me.

Iluvharleys, thanks for the reply and congratulations on the 92 lbs lost. What an accomplishment. (I'm jealous). I'm hoping for three fills rather than five.

The VG band is short for VanGuard Band. Its the larger Inamed band and is made with little pillow looking sections on the inside instead of one smooth innertube.Thats not a very scientific way to describe it, but if you Google it, you can find some websites with pictures. It has greater adjustability and is theoritically supposed to be better at not causing stomach erosion. I guess time will tell. My surgeon called it the "Very Good" band. lol

Terry :)

I guess I need to think Protein Protein protein until my first fill. That is the only thing that stops the hunger for me.

Good plan! There's a ton of threads regarding no restriction immediately post-op. I'd say it's safe to assume that most of us don't feel restriction for a while following surgery. As far as wanting your band "cinched"--well, I'm not sure that's really what you'd want. Too loose is a pain but too tight is even worse. You need to shoot for a happy medium which comes over time by working your way up to restriction. Sorry, but that's my experience so far. I know it takes a little more patience than we expected sometimes but hang in there!

True, after reading some of the posts about people suffering with too much restriction, I don't want that. I am not eating as little as I'd like to now. I have read other posts from peole who don't feel restriction after surgery. I was under the impression that I would need to start off measuring what I eat in one ounce cups after surgery. Not hardly. I still get ravenously hungry.

I know it's hard. And I truly battled the whole "only supposed to eat 6 oz" myth. My doctor had to set me straight by saying that I need to establish healthy Portion Control and if that still means I can eat a whole chicken breast, some veggies and some complex-carbs at one sitting then great. His philosophy is this: if the food is healthy then eat until you feel satisfied, not stuffed-just satisfied.

It's important to get started with a healthy eating pattern that you can live with forever. Limiting yourself to a few ounces of food per meal is not something I can live with forever. His theory seems to be working for me so I'm happy!

I also eat 6 times per day, at approximately the same times each day. These aren't always full meals but it's always something healthy. This helps maintain my blood-sugar and keeps me from getting ravenous. How many times per day are you eating?

Has your doctor given you any advice? Each doctor seems to have their own "plan" so you may want to talk with him about this issue.

I am eating a sensible Breakfast (one little bag of instant oatmeal) or a Protein smoothie, one bowl of taco Soup (meat and Beans and corn) for lunch and then when I get home from school or on the weekend, snack snack snack. I think I need some regimen when I am home. I do fine at work when there is a lot of structure (I teach, so its not appropriate to eat whenever the notion strikes me). When I am at home I seem to go overboard. Like today, cottage cheese and sugar free Jello (about two cups) then ten circle melba toasts, a popsicle, a cup of sherbert. I get so stuffed I hurt. The pain is in my back, oddly enough (is that restriction?)

I have been seeing a dietician as part of the surgery education package, and she suggests healthy choices and low fat, low calorie intake, three meals a day and three only. Writing about it now helps a lot. Thanks... I really think I need to find something to do to replace the eating in the evenings. It would be ideal to walk, but the temperature is about 98 and the humidity is the same.

Yeah, unfortunately being at home is my worst time for feeling a lack of willpower! You're right, you have to find an activity to keep you occupied. Come on this site when that urge strikes you to have a snack! There are lots of wonderful people here and reading their posts will keep you busy! You're still fresh from surgery and once you get a fill I think your hunger will be more manageable. Hang in there! You can do it!