Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!! Lap Band OR RNY

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I am still not sure if I want to have WLS RNY or Lap Band. Of course there are pros and cons to both. Instead of getting into a big list of both I will list the main ones.

RNY: Pro: faster loss Con: malabsorbtion

Band: no malabsorbtion but slower loss.

I have a BMI of 41. I weigh 250 and I'm 5-5"

I'm looking for feedback ... I don't need all 100 lbs to drop in the first 6 months.

The whole idea of my normal digestive system be sliced and diced is really horrifying to me (personally). from everything I have read, the lap band is so much safer and does not have all the nasty side effects of the other. Also, losing weight too fast can equal muscle rather than fat loss.

RNY is

High risk

invasive

irreversible

Vitamin deficiencies

requires longer hospitalization

Protein malabsorption

DIARRHEA :)

not adjustable

etc.

Everyone has to make their own decision - good luck, this is a big one.

it really comes down to what you are comfortable with. The majority of this board will tell you to go with the Band. This is what we chose, so it is the best choice. (people are like that :) ) On the RNY boards, they will tell you that the RNY is the bost choice.

This is such a personal choice. You need to weigh the pros and cons of each surgery and how they will personally affect you.

I personally think the band is the best starting place because it is so much less invasive than any of the other techniques. Also, my Cushing's wasn't diasnosed until after I'd had the band. It would totally suck to have had something more drastic like RNY or DS to discover that I couldn't lose weight.

i know you would think that this would be an easier thing for me to figure out. i know that i don't want to take vits the rest of my life. well if i feel like that then why don't i just go with banding? but then the other part of me feels like i'm not going to lose the weight. i weigh 250 and would like to get down about 100 lbs. i my mind for some reason i feel like i'm going to be unable to do that with the band.

Hi KLS, I had RNY 2 months ago with Dr. Felipe Cantu, in Reynosa, Mexico, and let me tell you that I´ve lost 40 lbs. during this time. Let me tell you something, personally, I feel great, because I´ve lost all this weight in lesser time, and with the lap-band you will lose it, slower, but SAFE, because there is no cutting of your intestines, just watch out with sweets, in case your are a sweet eater, that´s what I had understood about the difference between lap-band and RNY. I had RNY because I am a sweet eater, now my stomach does not tolerate sweets, instead, my stomach hurts whenever I eat sweets and how do I know this? I´ve read and read info from the internet about the RNY and came up with the conclusion. But in this case, is your own personal desicion, just make the right choice... good luck!!!

Kim, my doctor has done nearly 5000 lap band procedures. He used to do RNY and Lap band but for the last couple years switched exclusively to the lap band procedure only. Thats all he does and he does it really well. According to him his lap band patients lose as much weight and as fast as RNY patients minus the bad side affects IF thats what they want. The band is adjustable so you can be as agressive or unagressive with its adjustments as you want to be. So you can lose weight quickly or slowly depending on your preference. It really matters what doctor you choose in my oppinion so look for someone with lots of experience!!

I had my banding done in the AM, it took only 20 minutes. It was outpatient so I was back to my hotel room within a couple hours. The next morning I was able to navigate my way through three airports and then finally get to my car and drive myself home. I don't think an RNY patient could do that. The recovery time is quick, its great. Ive had two C'sections with the births of my children so I know what recovery from invasive surgery is like.. its a LOT harder. And from what Ive read RNY surgery is more difficult than a C'section. Not to scare you but just to inform you. You need to know the pro's and the cons.

For me Ive chosen to not be too agressive. I want to lose my weight over a period of a year or even two. I could lose much faster with my band but I want to try to avoid losing my hair and getting unnecessary sagging skin. Thats what I like about my band, I feel like its my tool, I get to decide how to use it. For me its been an empowering experience.

Best of luck to you! Whatever you choose what matters is that it is right for you. I feel like I made the right decision for me.

Congrats on your RNY PinkPanther. 40 pounds in 2 months is quite a lot of weight! (said not without a touch of envy)

I sort of think your question about which WLS is the best for you is sort of like asking us what the best birth control method you should choose. Or what color you should paint your house, sort of.

In the end, only you can really make this choice.

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I am still not sure if I want to have WLS RNY or Lap Band. Of course there are pros and cons to both. Instead of getting into a big list of both I will list the main ones.

RNY: Pro: faster loss Con: malabsorbtion

Band: no malabsorbtion but slower loss.

RNY

pro: you're just about guar-on-teed to get all of your excess weight off. It's practically fool-proof. This surgery has been performed for many more years in the US than the band so surgeons in general are more proficient at it. Plus, there's not much follow-up. You can chew like a normal person and have liquids with your meals if you want to.

con: DUMPING. The weight comes off really fast, which increases the likelihood that you will have excess skin. The surgery is more invasive, more difficult to reverse, and as we've recently learned - your "pouch" will stretch to accomodate more food. You'll be dependent on Vitamins for the rest of your life and have to deal with things like dumping. Besides that, you are in danger of winding up with a dispropotionately large head. I don't know why that happens. I just know that it does happen to some people.

Band

pro: faster recovery time. less invasive, less expensive, weight loss is more gradual (yes- that's a pro for me!). It's easily reversible. You can have the band adjusted if you find yourself gaining or eating more than you should. Adjustments are no big deal. You'll have an easier time convincing your loved ones that the surgery isn't that dangerous.

con: You may not start losing until your first fill, or you may require several fills to start your weight loss. You'll have a medical implant inside of your body for the rest of your life, so you may have to deal with things like erosion, leaks, or replacement. You also have to deal with PBing, sliming, gas, food getting stuck, and lots of other fun things.

There are more than two wls's. Right now, you're on a band board, asking if you should get the band. If you go to an RnY board and ask if you should get the RnY or a DS board and ask if you should get the DS...the answers will all be pretty much the same!!

No surgery is "the best." Each has its plusses and minuses. You have to see where you fit in best.

Allow me to complicate your decision-making process by adding Door Number Three:

http://obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/about.html

http://www.duodenalswitch.com

Good luck,

Sue

Hi KLS....I have lost 49 pounds in 4 months with my band. I wasn't comfortable with any part of my insides being cut up so the band was my obvious choice. I am 5'4" and started at 224 pounds with a BMI of 39 plus co-morbidities. Ultimately, it is your choice. And we know you will do what is best for you.

KLS,

My Dr. requires each patient to learn about both procedures before making a decision. Dr. Spivak stated that 1 out of 8 of his patients choose RNY.

I know you understand the risks, so there is really no need to discuss them.

IMNHO, If I was afraid that I would try to "cheat" around the band and knew about myself that I couldn't be fully committed to use the band as a tool, then I would have chosen RNY no questions asked. I have already decided to do this surgery, so for me, it was just a matter of determining which surgery was best.

You have already expressed concerns that you are afraid that you will work around the band and not lose weight. People who work around the band are in the 15% of patients that have little or no results. I think you are being honest with yourself by admitting that you might try and work around the band and I applaud your bravery in being honest.

It would be a shame to spend the money on the lap band and not have it work for you and then later decide to have RNY or not be able to afford a second surgery and be stuck.

Many people choose the band because of its reduced risks, however with ANY surgery there can be complications if the surgeon is not reputable. For RNY, I would do research upon research to find the most experienced, responsive, educated RNY Dr. available. The Dr. who does the best Band may not necessarily be the right choice for RNY.

I wish you the best with your decision. :)

:)

RNY

Besides that, you are in danger of winding up with a dispropotionately large head. I don't know why that happens. I just know that it does happen to some people.

I don't know how right on this is but when I went to my lap band seminar, they actually talked about this and said it was because a person can lose so much muscle that they have this appearance. Hey, on the up-side there may be a Hollywood career in that - don't all those stars have a huge head compared to their body?

Seriously though, KLS it looks that many are giving you some good information. There is no such thing as researching any surgical measure to death. I am sure that whatever you choose, it will be the right decision for you. All the best, this is not easy.

I don't think the slower weight loss should worry you all that much like a couple on here that have lost pretty fast with the band, I've lost 30 pounds in 5 weeks with the band and I'm losing slow, but, I have nothing rerouted, I don't have diahrea, I don't have trouble with any of those things and what I have is reversible.

I have 2 people who live within 3 miles of me, sisters, who had the bypass and one did fine the other has been in and out of hospitals and is now anorexic (sp) and is having a horrible time. I guess it is just what you feel in your heart is right for you. I did tons and tons of reading on both and had to decide for myself what I thought was right because your the one who will have to live with your decision. Make sure you feel good about whatever you have done and I wish you all the luck in the world with either.

:) Hi,

I'm new to this window, but wanted to encourage you that I just had the Lapband procedure on the 15th of August and already have drop Water weight of 13lbs. And I feel great!:clap2: I have little scars and is healing fast. I would recommend this procedure to anyone over 60lbs over weight. I weighed in at 261 day of surgery and I'm 5'1. So keep in touch and be encouraged.

Pam

My husband had the RNY, he was 411 and now 260, Yes he takes B12 and chewable flintstones. He can eat normal portions, does not have dumping or diarrhea, can eat sweets, does drink diet soda. He just doesnt absorb all the calories he eats= very tempting. Im going band since I dont qualify for RNY. Maybe my band will get him back on track and he can loose his last 30 pounds. He had every complication= open surgery that 6days later at home ruptured open and everything came out and had to have emergency surgery to put him back together. I packed that wound for 6 weeks!! He said then and now he would do it all over again even with the complications!! It is actually less after care than the band- which ever the insurance will pay for is the one I would do, and not look back and never second guess your decision!! Good Luck~~