Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gnc Coupon, Pre-Op

My friend gave me a 30% off coupon to GNC & I thought I would go use it today because I leave for surgery Monday morning.

I know you guys say not to stock up because tastes change, but if you were me, what do you think I should get?

I'm thinking powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, Isopure & Protein Shots?

Unjury sample packs first. I didn't care for it despite all the rave reviews. Protein Shots are okay because even if they don't taste good, they usually are just a few ounces. Isopure? I don't have an opinion on that. Best of luck.

Protein shots usually are not made with "good" Proteins. General rule of mine: if it looks like a test tube or a vibrator, it's probably not good Protein. "Shots" tend to be based on collagen, which is not a protein we want to take. Search for "incomplete protein" or "collagen protein" and you should be able to find quite a bit of information. Even the ones labeled "Whey" or "Pure Whey" are not. Here's a snippet from the "Pure Whey" shots, for example. My additions in blue:

From the makers of the leading Pure Whey® brand Protein powder comes Pure Whey® Shot 45 liquid Protein. Each liquid shot serving delivers 45 grams of protein from whey and Hydrolyzed Proteins So what percentage comes from whey, and what type of whey protein, and what percentage comes from "hydrolyzed" - which can be viable protein, but in this case it happens to be pre-digested collagen protein, which is crap in an ultra-convenient take-anywhere 3 ounce vial. Pure Whey® Shot 45 Liquid Protein never needs refrigeration so you can take it anywhere anytime. Super Concentrated Delivery System It can be difficult for athletes to consume enough protein for their rigorous training regimens. Pure Whey® Shot 45 Liquid Protein is a concentrated delivery of 45 grams of protein that is easily digested because it's pre-digested and - we don't have problems digesting protein so "easily digested" - who cares?. Whey Protein has a high Biological Value (BV) meaning that it is quickly digested and utilized by your body this is not unique . Pure Whey® Shot 45 Liquid Protein also contains Hydrolyzed Collagen aka gelatine, an enzymatically treated protein that is highly digestible because it's pre-digested and available to your body for building muscle.

Collagen has it's place, but it is not a good replacement for the type of proteins we need to replace (the ones we aren't getting through foods like meats and whey proteins). It does not have adequate amino acids to really even be a healthy replacement (and let's face it, we really are replacing more than supplementing for the first long time after surgery).

The Isopure drinks - I've not tried them myself, but as soon as I can find time to get to a GNC I plan to pick one up. I would get 1 bottle of the 2 or 3 flavors that sounded the best. Even if you like it now, you may not like it post-op. Something about these bariatric procedures tends to scramble our tastebuds a bit. Lots & lots of people find their tastes are completely different.

GNC should sample things for you, the one by us does anyway. Have them make up some samples and see what you like.

I don' think GNC sells unjury, but I really don't know. Let me know if they do. :)

The Isopure powder tastes like infected ass. Don't waste your money. I haven't met anyone who likes it, ever, in like 7 years.

HTH

Wheetsin, I wish that your post above could be pinned somewhere as a primer on Protein Shots for us all! I wouldn't waste money on them!! The first one I saw made me think YES, what a great way to get in Protein. It took about 30 seconds of research, both here and on the weight lifter's boards, to see that the protein shots are protein sh*t. They do NOTHING for us as sleevers, and the general consensus among the weight lifters is that the protein shots do nothing for them as well. Since we're trying to protect our muscles with the protein, especially our hearts, I want protein that is available for my body to use.