Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Should I Ask My Dr?

Tomorrow is my first Dr. Appointment. (self pay). I'm starting to put a list of questions together that I want to make sure i get answered. What questions do you wish you would have asked?

Did they send you the emmi support video to watch? It will tell you about the different surgeries and let you post questions that you would like to ask the doctor that why he can answer them when you go to see him. I ask things like..........How many surgeries he had done, what were the most complications people had that he had done the surgeries on. I ask about the current meds I was taking, does he use a drain...how long I would be in the hospital...about the pre op and post op diets. I believe there is a link on here that will give you questions also that you might not have thought of. Good luck, I am self pay also hoping to have my surgery in October. Keep us posted please.

You are using the same surgeon I did. I've actually had 4 surgeries with him between 2006 and now, so if you have any questions I can help with, please feel free to ask.

I was a revision (from lap-band) so my questions were mainly around the specifics of revision, rather than generic sleeve questions. I did ask him things like:

• Bougie size (tailored or standard)
  • Process of checking for leaks (his is not standard, but I like it)
  • What complications he would expect due to... (in this case a revision, but it could be anything)
  • During the info seminar, I was told a few things and I didn't know if they were accurate or not (I'd been told them for previous surgeries too, and they never happened, so I wanted to know if they really would or not). Things like catheters, drains, etc.
  • His personal sleeve stats compared to other potential revision surgeries.
  • What the long-term follow-up plan looked like (comprehensively - for him as well as Dr. Sabapathy, Tim, etc.)

I knew a lot going in - I'd been looking (lightly, but still) at the sleeve as a revision option for years, knowing I'd probably need something different one of these days. I also already knew a lot about his surgical procedure, aftercare, "how things work," etc. from being a repeat customer.

- will he be assigning post-op in hospital follow up to another doctor? if so what are his fees?

- discuss your pain meds right now - and what they will give you if the first batch does not work - and what they will give you if that doesnt work - no kidding - make sure at least one option is oral, and one is a shot.

- what will be assigned to you on the way home - for nausea, pain, sleeplessness, etc. You don't want to chase these things down if you don't have do just after surgery.

I list these because I was thorough - thought i was anyway. These snuck up and bit me, so to speak.

It's "cool" (if I can accurately use that word) to see the things self-payers have to think of, that would never even cross my mind (like another Dr handling follow-up).

Gene, there is some non-question info I can give you. Dr. Hoehn does most of his procedures either at the Prairie Star clinic (where his office is) or at the SMMC campus. He used to do them at a few other places, but one of those is closed and I'm not sure about the others. I *think* he only does sleeves at Prairie Star or SMMC. Mine was at SMMC because that's what my insurance requires. As self-pay, I'd guess you will be at Prairie Star. Just best guesses, though.

Leaving the hospital, unless something weird happens, his standard is Lortab for pain and Omeprazole 20mg (PPI) which he wants you to take 2x daily. I know some other self-payers who got the same Rxs as me, so I don't think it varies too much based on self-pay status. If it 's cheaper, you can just buy the Omeprazole OTC at Sam's or just about anywhere else. (It's cheaper for me through insurance, but more convenient to just buy it on my own since I can buyhowever much I want at a time, so that's what I do).

You probably already know this, but he requires an overnight stay. He does not do standard leak tests, but don't freak - I think his leak procedures are actually a better approach.

I've only had 1 procedure with him that has required an overnight stay. I think both he and Tim (his PA) did the post-op followup, but I'm not completely sure. I was pretty tired. ;)

Your follow-up appointments will be at Prairie Star (1 wk, 2 mo, 6 mo, etc.) Dr. Sabapathy also has a post-op regimine. I didn't realize that at first, but just shcheduled a 6 mo appt for another round of testing. Did you have to go through Dr. Sabapathy as a self pay?

Have you met him yet? If not, don't be alarmed. A lot of people think he is "cold" or "uncaring" or even "arrogant." But he's very good. Arrogance is usually an earned trait. ;) When I had my first procedure with him in 2006 I had actually scheduled with someone else and it took a LOT of work to rebook with him, but he weas clearly the better choice. I truly think he's one of the best bariatric surgeons in the country, and he has excellent stats and I can't even begin to describe how much his comprehehsnive program has changed (for the better).

Great information!!!! I have a pretty long list already but still adding.

Wheetsin... I don't know if I have to see Dr. Sabapathy or not? What type of Dr is Sabapathy? I'm happy that you think so highly of Dr. Hoehn... that makes me feel really good about having the survery in KC since I live in STL.

Dr. Sabapathy is the PsyD (clinical psychologist) associated with the program. He does testing, generally required for insurance approval, but I don't know if self pays also have to see him just for the benefit of the mental health side or not. He's nice, a bit too positive IMO (kind of cheerleader-ish), but that's probably exactly what a lot of people need. He's very rational and he was part of the program when I had my first surgery there in 2006 so he is definitely well-versed in the bariatric neuroses. ;) His specialty is pain management, though, IIRC.

Here's the third listed: http://www.shawneemission.org/health-services/bariatric-surgery/our-physicians.html

I am hoping to have my VS surgery with Dr. Hoehn. I am from West Central IL, but went to graduate school at Wash U. I had considered going with Dr. Wagner in St. Louis, but Dr. Hoehn sounds more experienced with the procedure and is cheaper. I am now just waiting to hear from the office regarding when my first appt will be with Dr. Hoehn. I will also be self pay.