Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My flight home after surgery will be a little over 4 hrs and I'm very curious to know how some of you survived the flight. I know my gas will be out of control.

Mine was 2 1/2 hours and I had no problems, a little tummy rumbling but no gas.

My flight was almost 4 hours and I drank Water and tea. I had no gas problem, at least intestinally. I was puffed up from the carbon dioxide used during surgery and looked sort of distended (but didn't feel bloated) for about 2 weeks after surgery.

I had two flights on my return trip. They were both about 2.5 hours each. I didn't experience any gas at all. I had GasX strips with me just in case but never needed them. My bigger worry was getting up to stretch my legs to avoid blood clots. If you get an aisle seat on the way back that shouldn't be a problem.

I have a flight from San Diego to Philly after, so quite a long flight. I plan to just order Water & drink that constantly, then try to get up & walk every 30-60 minutes, just up the plane & back. I also plan to ask for a wheelchair & see if I can get bumped to business class (just for the extra room).

Gas X strips!! I did have gas the whole day I flew home. I had 2 flights; one was 3 hours, one was 2. The Gas X strips helped me survive :)

I ordered my wheelchair for post op flights... Do they upgrade or is it something you have to request and pay extra for? I tried to do that before the flight but it would have cost me an extra 1000.00!

Thanks Shell... They are def on my list to get!

I ordered my wheelchair for post op flights... Do they upgrade or is it something you have to request and pay extra for? I tried to do that before the flight but it would have cost me an extra 1000.00!

I am just going to ask at the desk, on the way home, if they have extra seats & if so could I upgrade. I will explain I just had bariatric surgery & the extra room will help. See if they charge me. If they do, hoping it is $500 or less. If it is more I will probably skip it & just stick with my aisle seat in economy class.

I just walked up to claim my tickets post op and told them that I needed window seats because I just had bariactric surgery and they gave them to me without a problem. They also put me in back of a crash bulkhead which turned out to be awesome due to the extra footroom. My 1st flight was 5 hours ,2nd flight was 1 hour. I had no problems at all with gas. I was more concerned with nausea. It would hit me in spells but I never used the bag.

I heard if you just ask they will let them know you just had surgery they will let you board early and will give you a good seat if is available without charge. But it all varies with airlines and how good of a mood the people are that day lol. I am planning on trying it in any case, I might even ask for a wheelchair when I arrive just so they will take me in and that normally gives them the clue. I will be wearing compression stockings and plan to walk as much as possible in the plain, at least every hour. (my flight is 5 hours with one hour layover). Good luck, let us know how it goes if you go before me!

I did not have to worry about a flight post surgery (the hospital is only 20 minutes from my home) but I did experience gas for a few weeks. The best remedy was to have my husband rub my back from the bottom up. The gas moves easily & gives wonderful relief.

I flew American Airlines and I verify the above statement. Cause I did it

Glad to know. That's who I'm flying with.

Capt, was the bulk head like first class seats? Delta mentioned that when I called! I pictured it being a bench seat with just more leg room.