Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble Getting Protein And Fluids Help?

It might depend on the type. Are yours dairy based? Thick/heavy? There are some that can be mixed with Water and are light and easy on the tummy.

I'm three weeks out and YES!! The first few days I couldn't get anything down! It wasn't until over a week later I started really drinking my Protein Shakes. For the first week I focused just on Water. Also, drinking crystal light instead of plain water makes it so much easier.

Don't worry about it so much now. Make sure your getting all your water in, because I wasn't and I got dehydrated..you really don't want that!!

Every single day it will get easier. Now, I get all my water and Protein in everyday and some soft food too!

I'm 2,.5 weeks out and still can't get all my fluids or Protein in. I'm getting closer, but I still have a ways to go. For the first few days I could barely drink an ounce at a time of Water, let alone Protein drinks (which are almost always thicker). During the first week I had to abuse ice chips and SF popsicles, just for basic hydration.

Where you're at is extremely common. It really will get easier, slowly.

I'm actually really surprised with how much Fluid I've been aw to take in. My surgery was Monday. So only 4 days post and yesterday I got in around 70oz total of liquids. That includes crystal light, broth, Water, diluted apple juice, and a Protein Shake. I make my shake with water. So it's not thick. Each drink takes me awhile to finish, but basically there hadn't been a time where I don't have a drink near me, sipping. Just try to keep it with you and take 2 sips every 5min or so.

It took me 16 hours to get down 1 Protein Shake the first time (3 days after surgery). Mine were pre-made, and extra thick. Now I "water" mine down. As the swelling in your stomach goes down, you will be able to get fluids in, but I would suggest that right now, you just want to focus on Water - dehydration is horrible! Try ice chips, SF Popsicle's, etc.I would suggest to try and stay away from anything that's high in sodium, as it just defeats the purpose.

I'm glad to see this thread. I was sleeved this past Monday and today I decided to see if I could get in my required Protein and Water. I've managed 8 oz of protein supplement (mixed with milk) and 2 oz of water. It has just made me hurt and feel distended all day. I worry I am putting too much in my new sleeve. Maybe it would be ok just to focus on hydration for a few more days and give the protein a try again next week. I think I'll go back to clear liquids for a little while. My pain meds hurt my tummy too. What should I do?

I suggest you both go back to clear liquids for a couple days, broths, crystal light etc and give the Protein Drinks a try later. Lots of Water too, dont forget that! I would call the Dr on the pain meds bothering you, what are you taking?

I will be 3 months post op next week and I only just recently have been able to drink more than just a few sips at a time. Protein is hard for me because I can't stand the taste of it, it makes me gag. Now that I'm on solids I focus more on seafood, cheese, and greek yogurt.

Actually, greek yogurt may be a good option for you as well. It's easy to get down and is high in Protein. Definitely stay hydrated, that's priority number 1, but if you still have issues with protein try greek yogurt.

It gets easier, I promise.

Thank you so much everyone I love this forum I know it will get better Just worried cause I know how important Protein is in wound healing and in in nutrition period but as I was trying to get my Protein Shake after four hours I was thinking man I really need to get some fluids in. I did manage to get the majority of my protein shake in so at this point if I can get one protein shake a day and maintain fluids I'll be okay for a few days without my 80g protein thanks do much guys ;-)

Ok I'm two days post op and today is my first day eating Protein shakes and I'm having trouble getting them down Clear liquids not so bad but these shakes aren't going down so easy any ideas???? Are most people able to get their Protein Shakes and fluids in the first few days post op ???

It's difficult for me. I worry about vomiting. Each day I try to do s little more