Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm posting on the post op board because I'm wondering if anyone that has had this surgery was told what I was yesterday at my consult with the surgeon. I told him that the main reason I want this surgery is because of my type 2 diabetes and he said that he would suggest the Roux-en-Y for the best results. I have read on here of peoples success stories with their diabetes with the sleeve and with that information and the fact that the sleeve is less invasive then the Roux-en-Y, I would prefer the sleeve and not to mention that it's cheaper. I want to do the right thing. I was just wondering if any of you had to make this choice and what your thoughts were on it. Thanks everyone in advance. My insurance does not cover any of the surgeries so I am on my own as far as payment.

ABC News recently did a story about WLS as a method to control diabetes, and they concentrated on RNY patients. One of the things they are studying is why Type 2 diabetes seems to go into remission for a lot of patients within weeks after surgery...even before the patients have lost a significant amount of weight.

There are some studies that indicate that there may be hormonal changes that occur in the intestines during the "rerouting" portion of the RNY procedure that may contribute to this remission, which may be why your doctor is recommending that procedure. From what I've seen, though, there are massive improvements in diabetes from the sleeve as well.

This article talks a bit more about it, and specifically mentions some studies that looked at both RNY and Sleeve patients:

http://www.firstword...015E7AA2834143E

I don't currently have diabetes, so it really wasn't a factor in my decision, but I'm sure there are some board members who can give you some hands-on advice.

My fiance is looking into surgery also and he has diabetes. What we heard the was with the RNY causes the pancreas to produce more insulin in a matter of days, they didn't give a lot of information on VSG and other than it is usually resolved.

My blood sugar went to normal with the sleeve. I was just over the line on my blood tests and he tried to put me on Metfomin or some such thing. I wouldn't take it because I wanted to see if surgery would control it. I have issues with medication because sometimes side effects are worse than the disease.

My next two labs came out normal. Your mileage may vary.

I should add that my doctor tried to talk me out of the sleeve in favor of Roux-en-Y. He said that I would not even lose as much weight without the malabsorption and dumping syndrome to keep me from eating sugar. He said that I could only expect to lose 50% of my excess weight.

Well at 3 months i have lost 50% of my excess weight.

I am so glad I chose the sleeve. I feel like I'm grown up enough to have a bite of dessert or my little piece of dark chocolate every once in a while. To give that up forever and be on a strict Vitamin regimen for life was not for me. I wanted to keep my stomach and my nice pyloric sphincter. I want to eat like a normal thin person and I do.

I had this surgery due to the recommendation from my surgeon. I asked her directly which surgery would be better for by diabetes and she said the vertical sleeve. I agreed and my blood sugar dropped considerably, but I waiting for my next blood test to find where the A1C is. Last, it was at 6 and they want it below that to say I'm not diabetic anymore. I know that it has to do with eating way less food. My husband is diabetic and when he eats smaller portions, his blood sugar goes down. Hope this helps. ;)

Thank you everyone for your responses....I will definitely check out those links.

Hi,

I think different doctors have different schools of thoughts on this. When I asked the first surgeon I consulted with about which surgery is better, he said for me, because I don't have any diabetes or major medical issues, the sleeve would be good. He said that if I had diabetes he would recommend the RouenY because of the immediate drop of weight after the surgery. Although I do think if you have type 2 diabetes and not type 1, the sleeve would probably work out.

Good luck!

Well I believe it's going to be the sleeve. It's less invasive and I think I can manage the cost of it over the other. Will probably shoot for October because I have to wait till my husbands busy season is over. Can't wait to get this journey started! Thanks again everyone for your input. I find this board very informative and useful and full of caring people.

I too was told by my surgeon if I wanted to guarantee the diabetes would be reversed the RNY is the way he would recommend. He didn't try to force it on me he just stated that it would definitely be reversed with that surgery. He agreed that the results could be the same with the sleeve but no guarantees. He also agreed that if the VSG did not bring me the results I wanted I had not eliminated the RNY by doing the VSG first.

Well it has been 1 month since I was sleeved and the most awesome outcome so far with my surgery is that I have not had to take any diabetic medications or high blood pressure meds since my surgery which is just freaking cool!! (I was on 3 for the diabetes and 2 for the blood pressure!)

I have logged all my blood sugar results twice a day for my surgeon and he was tickled pink with the numbers yesterday at my appointment.

Just wanted to say I am extremely happy with my decision to proceed with VSG surgery!!

I know everyone is different but I hope you have the same results. God Bless!! :wub:

Thanks Liberated....just a waiting game now...can't wait to get started.