Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did something not so smart fora newly sleeved and read a website that was all speaking disparagingly about VSG in the long run. They said there is a conspiracy of silence with people who are 6 years out plus. They were maintaining that the results of having a much smaller stomach had serious negative effects on health. I did my own research on WLS and decided aginst bypasss for those aforementioned reasons. I didnt find negative health reprecussions related to the sleeve tho. Is anyone on here a longer term sleever? Or does anyone know someone who has had this operation a while back? Help?!

There is a lady on youtube that had hers in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AmySDMOM?ob=0&feature=results_main

I don't see how that is possible.. this surgery has been used for years with people that have had stomach cancer...

It's not new by any means!

Julie

I spoke to a lady on another forum who was sleeved in 2007! She said she is doing well, feeling fine, and maintaining. Best of luck :-)

This board has only been around since 2009, I think, so people who were sleeved before that may not show up here. I believe the sleeve as stand-alone WLS surgery (not as part of the DS) has been done since about 2006. There are nay-sayers about any procedure and of course, those who have had a particular procedure and done well tend to defend it. I always take what I read on forums, and the Internet in general, with a healthy dose of skepticism.

My grandmopther has the same procedure, basically due to stomach cancer - in the 80s. She's still going strong, spry, healthy and independant... ay 88 years of age. I have no concerns. LOL

My late mother in law had a sleeve long before I met her son, probably 15 years or so earlier. She lived quite well with her sleeve and had no complications from the surgery itself. I don't think she was very compliant with the Water or Protein requirements she had, but that was related to the several bouts of cancer she had, not the surgery. She was always a tiny woman anyway, so for her to meet the goals was a struggle and she had several rounds of chemo. But her stomasleeve itself didn't give her any problems. That was one of the factors when I was deciding on which surgery to have.

Had mine in 2009, 3 years ago. . . and I'm doing wonderfully. . . lost 150 lbs and am back to "normal" eating, haven't gained a single pound either. . . feel and look terrific. . only problem, which i had before surgery anyhow, is malabsorption problems with Vitamins. . . other then that my physician, surgeon and myself are very pleased with all the outcomes. . . good luck!

They said there is a conspiracy of silence with people who are 6 years out plus.

I don't really see how that is possible, as the procedure is very new in the bariatric weight loss world, and hasn't been done very much on bariatric patients prior to 2006 or so.

Other's comments about the surgery being used for years on stomach cancer patients makes perfect sense. If there were massive, long-term effects we should know about them.

I know that when I first saw my bariatric surgeon a year and a half or so ago (when I was trying to "save" my lap band) he initially suggested the RNY due to my weight. When I went back ready for the surgery this time around, he suggested the sleeve. I asked what the difference was, and he said that now that they have three or four years of data on their patients, they were seeing excellent results (comprable to RNY) without much in the way of long-term problems and they think it will be the gold standard.

I'm sold.

Hey thanks y'all. I feel better after all of that anecdotal evidence. I will remember to stay away from that blog. ;) hope everyone is well and progressing. Thanks again!

Had mine in 2009, 3 years ago. . . and I'm doing wonderfully. . . lost 150 lbs and am back to "normal" eating, haven't gained a single pound either. . . feel and look terrific. . only problem, which i had before surgery anyhow, is malabsorption problems with Vitamins. . . other then that my physician, surgeon and myself are very pleased with all the outcomes. . . good luck!

lilttle confused, i read your sleeve stopped working at 2 years - is that correct - so after that we just eat properly on our own, no help from sleeve? the sleeve is only a tool after all.

thanx

kathy

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches