Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Do I Feel Normal Again

I was sleeved 3/14. I have no energy... Started my Vitamins 3/22 but even taking a shower is a major chore;( any ideas?

I really didn't start to feel energized again until almost 2 months out and I was taking my Vitamins the entire time. I returned back to work after 2 weeks but I was dragging each day. It was all I could do to put one foot in front of the other at times. I would get dizzy in the shower, also. I felt like I needed a nap daily and it didn't help that I returned to an 8:30 am to 8 pm work schedule. But close to the 2 month mark it started to improve tremendously. I started working out 3 weeks ago. I am up to a little over 3 miles in an hour which is FABULOUS for for me. I am hoping to push it to 3.5 miles today :D .

It will get better. I felt COMPLETELY wiped out for the longest time.

Well, the good news is ... never. You have to find your new normal.

By the time your stomach heals (~6 weeks) and you are able to eat solids, you begin to figure out what you can and cannot eat. This is a huge adjustment for some while others have been preparing for it.

What do you mean I can't eat a plate of gooey nachos and a bag of Cheetos!!

Yeah, well, those days are over for me ... I'm not returning to that 'normal'

So, if you mean normal as not feeling like you just had surgery, I would say a couple weeks, but again, so much is going on with our bodies even then ... I never have felt the same way as I did before surgery, so ... again, you have to find your new normal.

A month out, I was down a large amount of weight, my energy was rock bottom and I was still figuring out what to eat. A few calls to my NUT and increasing my carbs brought my energy up and I felt great ... but by no means did I feel like I did before, and at this point in my journey, I didn't want to go back to feeling the way I did.

So, bottom line, you will be feeling better soon, but you have to do what your medical team advised you to do as far as eating properly though your stages (liquids, puree, mushy, solids). Take the Vitamins, drink the liquids and get your exercise. If you start cutting corners, you will not feel as good as you potentially could.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I will agree with PDXman that you will never feel "normal" if you are thinking that you will feel like you did before the surgery. Hopefully you will find a new feeling that will be 100% better than your best day when you were heavy.

As I have found with my weight loss so far.....my back does not bother me like it used to, I no longer have pain in my knees and hips after walking, I can not go to the gym and use the treadmill, the bike and lift weights without almost dying, I have dropped several sized in clothing, people comment on how good I look, I sleep so much better, I can climb stairs, I can once again fit into a booth at a restuarant, I no long need the extension when flying on an airplane......oh and there is so much more.

I am so thankful for all of the blessing that I have been enjoying since my surgery on Dec 11, 2011 and I look forward to enjoying my new life as I continue to lose weight and reach my goal.

Slow and steady wins the race and you will find your "normal"

The first thing I would say is you are not hydrated enough I was sleeved 3/12 and I only felt bad days 5 and 6. I also try to drink at least one 20oz G2 a day to help with hydration on top of my Protein Drinks and Water.< /p>

I was sleeved 3/14. I have no energy... Started my Vitamins 3/22 but even taking a shower is a major chore;( any ideas?

I'm in the same boat you are and I had my surgery on 3/15. I'm feeling very lightheaded and almost "stoned" (it's the only way I can really describe it). I'm still on Clear Liquids and I'm making sure to get in 65oz of Fluid a day. Hopefully once I get on full liquids this feeling will go away, especially since I can't afford to take any more sick days.

Hi, Mews... I was a day of ahead of you on my surgery. I am starting to feel a little better. I noticed I am starting to get hungry. I do eat as the I was told too and only eat a few bites and I am good to go. I am still struggling with getting in the 64oz of Water. I am right at the 32 oz mark but working up to the 64 oz..

I do have moments where I feel tired but working on it..