Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back/chest Pain When Inhaling

Hi all, I am a new member. I'm writing this on a tablet so please disregard all the typos :-) .

I had my sleeve surgery on march 7th, and have been nothing but unhappy and depressed about the whole thing since. I didn't gphave problems until I came home, and mostly it was that mtpy pain meds (liquid vicodin) were so gross that I couldn't keep up with it and found myself dehydrated and in a lot of pain, which sent me to the ER. They did a an xray to see if it was gas, then a cat scan and said I had some Fluid around my spleen, but that it was probably drainage from surgery. (I asked them if it could be leakage and they said no, I would be very ill. He also phone my surgeon and she too confirmed this). This was Sunday following surgery. I was sent home with zophran (anti nausea) and liquid T3, also pill form Vicodin, which I have been taking and doing well on. Basicalling, I've been doing better until last night, when I started having a lot of pain in my lower back/kidney region when I inhaled. I am trying to ween myself off pain meds so I can go back to work so the day before yesterday I had none, and when I took a half of Vicodin lasrpt night, it did nothing to touch the pain. I literally had to grab my back and squeeze to offset the pain to get a good breath in. I went to bed and it was easier to breathe, but still painful. I woke up today and now it is in the front as well as the back and I wanted to know if anyone else has dealt with this. I really don't want to go to the ER again, and I just want to feel well/normal again. I spent most days after surgery crying and wondering why on earth I did this to my body, and I'm feeling so hopeless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I was having the problem your having right now, I would go to the ER due to the risk of it being a leak. I know the DR. didn't think it was a leak, but they don't really know for sure. Your pains are worst now. Do you have a fever? You will not be able to return to work tomorrow anyways. This is just a complication and when you get it fixed, you are going to love your sleeve. Please go to the ER or urgent care and perhaps they will do a sonagram or mri to check. Worst yet, I would be afraid of a blood clot and that is life threatening. Please take good care of yourself. Let us know what's going on, we are concerned for your well being. ;)

What side is your pain on? I don't understand how they can tell you Fluid around your spleen isn't a leak - my leak was right between my spleen and stomach. The leak can cause pressure on you diaphragm and that pain radiates to your left shoulder. I was not sick with my leak fever or vomiting at all, only the shoulder and left side pain. The abscess (fluid) was right between my spleen and stomach. Go to your Dr and insist they look in to it further!!

I went to the ER yesterday and they did a leak test (via cat scan, I drank some clear Fluid that tasted like stale, slightly fruity water) and also a cat scan for blood clots with the dye, etc. There were no leaks, and thye fluid around my spleen had lessened since last week. The scan for the blood clot didn't take as well as theyd like so they did ultrasounds on my legs and everything was fine. I was sent home after 7 hours of waiting and told to just take pain meds, which was a little relieving and frustrating at the same time. Needless to say, I didnt take pain meds. I really don't like pills. Anyway, today my new pain involves chest pain that comes on without any notice (the pain yesterday was when I would inhale). This feels like its my sternum or esophagus and it just shoots right up and I have to clutch my chest. My boyf keeps telling me to just take my pain meds but I feel like that could numb whatever warning signs I might be getting about my body. Also, I would feel almost foolish going back to the er at this point. Anyone else dealt with chest pain?

My doc told me with this surgery you have a high risk of kidney stones especially if you get dehydrated. It might be a kidney stone.

I have had kidney stones and it sounds like you may have had one. I too have a very bad sharp pain in my left shoulder between my neck. Hurts so bad when I lay down. Other than that it is gone. Oh unless I cough or try to get anything up mucos wise. I think mine is gas. I sure would like to know. It is in the exact same spot every time. Hasn't moved. I have a heating strip on it right now. It's the only thing I take pain medicine for. I feel great every where else.