Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to eat right after being filled

Hi everyone,

I received my first fill (under fluoroscopy) a week ago (1.1 cc's) and didn't feel restriction so I felt like I was eating too much. Exactly one week later, I got a second fill (under fluoroscopy) which put me up to 1.5 cc's.

Yesterday (same day as my second--and most meaningful--fill), I was told to stick to mushy stuff. I pushed the envelope a lot, telling myself this stuff I ate would be "mushy" once I chewed it up enough. Then, essentially, anything I ate yesterday gave me the golf ball feeling going down (very unpleasant!) and I'd start salivating like crazy (I take it this is what everyone refers to as sliming?). And then the weirdest thing was that I'd start throwing up, but the only thing that would come up was all the saliva I had swallowed (no food!).

I'm not sure if this is a normal experience. I'm afraidto eat anything right now, but I was hoping maybe you all had some pointers about WHAT and HOW to eat at this stage in the game for me. I want to experience proper restriction without golf balling and PBing.

I'd really, truly appreciate any advice you have. I'm still trying to learn how to deal with this thing.

Thanks!

If your dr told you mushies, that would be a good idea. Initially, my dr used to say mushies for 1 day. Later, he switched to liquids for 2 days.

I tried the same thing as you - on my 2nd fill, I went home and ate a sausage. I ended up getting an unfill 2 days later when I couldn't even get Water down.

Since you are having problems, you are probably inflamed. I would try liquids for a couple of days to settle everything down. Good luck. Celeste

Thanks for the advice. I will do liquids for a day or two at this point.

After I do the liquids for a day or two, what do you recommend? What types of foods, in what order, etc.? Sorry for the dumb questiosn I just don't want to keep experiencing what happened yesterday...

Thanks,

I am not an expert but here is what I have been using for guidelines. If I hear alot of gurgling, I know I am tight and/or irritated (this happens in the morning if I eat too late or too much at night). Then I do shakes.< /p>

After liquids, I would go to smooth things (mushies) yogurt, egg drop Soup, If that works, try things like mashed potatoes, refried Beans, etc.

I don't really have an answer cuz I don't know what you like. I know my tastes changed after surgery and have changed again since.

If you read threads, you will notice that what you can eat changes over time. One day I can eat rice and the next I can't. I couldn't eat the lean healthy luncheon type meats but I can eat summer sausage.

Give yourself time. You will learn your body and your band. And will still make mistakes. I end up sick a couple of times a month - from not listening to my body when I'm full, eating the wrong foods, or drinking too soon after I eat.

Good luck and give it time. Celeste

Angela, definitely slow down...and it sounds like you've got the right idea by going to liquids for a couple of days. When you talk yourself into doing things like pushing the envelope, then you know your head hunger thing is kicking in, and the battle is on!

I hope you will take this caring advice along with a hug, and just slow down...you've had two good fills in two weeks, and you were banded in May...let your brain catch up, and adjust. Pushing things along will only set you up for possible problems in the future, and you don't want that.

Take it easy, and remember, there are a lot of people on here who say their fills don't "kick in" for several weeks...you could be one of them.

Good luck!

I agree with everyone. Getting a fill causes swelling and irritation so that's why you should go to liquids for at least a day following a fill. Your body needs time to adjust. If liquids go down OK for the first 24hrs then I move onto mushies for at least the first meal or two and if that seems to be OK then I'm pretty much back to normal eating again. You gotta take it slow following a fill until you have a chance to heal and to see how tight you are.