Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Making the Decision

Guest sassyhawk

Guest sassyhawk

hello Everyone, I have been reading over your site for quite awhile now. I'm in the process of making the decision for Banding.

I had liopsuction done 2 1/2 years ago, at the cost of 8000 dollars and never knew this "Banding" existed. Guess i'm feeling sorta foolish in some ways. I was always afraid of the "Gastric Bypass" and have seen good and bad from my friends that have done it.

My challange now is getting my doctor to support me. And I think i'm looking for support also that i'm doing the right thing for me.

I topped at 247 lbs and a size 1x, and had 13000 cc's of fat removed during Lipo. Now am at 207 at 5'4 and a size 14, can't loose a lb to save my life .. I yo yo within a 5 lb range. (growl) I also have hard to control high blood pressure from weight, stress, and teenage lifestyle filed with an endless supply of diet pills. I try to remind my doctor that i didn't loose the weight, i paid for it *chuckle*all i did was keep it off with new eating habbits.

My BMI is 34, and I have tons of muscle. My Current doctor thinks i'm just lazy and would prefer to load me up on drugs, and say i'm a poor eater, when that's not true either. I eat healthy, just i'm constantly starving and eating, and keeping my body confused LOL

I'm tired of being picked on at 39 for being "Fat" and i have found out that my insurance company will pay for this should i get the refferal. And I have the weight history and a health problem.

The band seems to me to be a tool that perhaps can help me beat this once and for all with out a lot of damage to my body.

I think i also feel strange knowing that others are in a more serious situation than myself, but i'm whineing. I want to enjoy the 2nd 1/2 of my life with all vigor that i can.

Thanks for your all being here for people like me to vent and seek knowledge from your experiences.

Sassy

Hi Sassy, welcome! We're glad you found us and I hope you find the answers you seek.

Frankly, I think you are banding's next audience. People with BMIs under 35 who can improve their health by permanent weight loss can really benefit from banding. You might have a problem with insurance but it sounds like you're already working on that aspect. Good luck, and please let us know how it is working out.

Guest Deb

I think your BMI may be 36, not 34. Not that that make a big difference, but it may to your insurance company. Some insurance companies will approve you when your BMI is under 35 if you have comorbidities, such as high cholesterol, diabeties, high blood pressure, etc.

Do it, talk to your doctor, your insurance company, a surgeon. Nothing wrong with wanting to improve your health.

Good luck, Deb

Guest sassyhawk

My bmi seems to depend on who's calculator you use lol

I found one today that said i'm 35.6 . hehe (due to insurance reasons I can't beleive i'm happy having more fat) haha

I also have High Cholesterol and High Blood pressure. SO,

I am feeling strong in getting this accomplished. The more I read the more excited I become. Makes me daydream of life with normal bloodpressure. It has given me so many problems through life, from panic attacts to meds that don't work which keeps me down from many activities due to numbers up around 200/110 . I just recently had a 6month ordeal with it that landed me in the hospital 11 times. It's crazy to feel this life/death threatened at 39.

Your stories here have energized me to seeing new light once again. I have just switched insurance to one that I know pays for this, and have talked to others in my area who have been through this. I am armed and dangerous LOL and ready to take control of the next segment of my life. I will be meeting with my Doctor 1st week in june to get this ball rolling while I study the nutrition aspects of this change. I have already started to wean off breads (my downfall) sweets and caffine (coffee.. my other addition) .

Thanks again for your comments

Sassy

Guest sassyhawk

I hi ladies & Fellows!

Friday I went in to discussing my desire to be banded with my PCP, and he asked a few questions, and saw that I was well informed on the subject (THANK YOU LAIDES AND GENTELMENT FOR SHAREING!!)

So with a nervous sqeeky voice I asked. Do i have your support and will you write the medically necesary letter for Blue Cross/shield. and he said YES ! woohoo.. So onward I go.

I had a female health issue a few weeks back (nearly 8 or 9) and he wants me to check in with my other Doctor to make sure they are not going to want to remove anything for now.. and Then come back in a week and we'll fill out the papers

I'm so excited, I was scared to get my hopes up and not have his support.

Anyway.. I thought I would share this much, so in conclusion, yes, the decision is made, and the work begins!

To Celebrate I went out and purchased a food processor lol so i'd have it later

Sassy