Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Vitamins/supplements Do You Take (Brands/types?)

So, I am sure this has been asked before, but would like to see responses from current times. What Multivitamin were you prescribed post-wls, and do you still take that one, or have you switched to anything different? How about Calcium,D3, Iron, any other things prescribed by doc, related to WLS?

I was told to take either optisource or Bariatric fusion. Both of these are required to be taken 4x a day, and I rarely get all 4 in :( I usually get 3 in per day. The NUT told me not to take opurity (which is a once a day bariatric Vitamin, that I wouldn't get enough in,but honestly, I would get more in taking that once day than forgetting 1-2 tablets per day. What do you take?

I was told to take Calcet or another chewable calcium citrate supplement. I took Calcet the first month, and then slacked off the Calcium for a couple of weeks, and right now, I am just taking my citracal petites to get something in, until I can order some calcet, but I'm not sure if the citracal gives me any benefits.

I also take D3, a Gummy form.

So what do you do???

Hi

I also took the baratric multi Vitamins in the begining but i got really tired of the chalk taste. So I take two Gummy vita craves the sour kind because they don't include orange. I also take a sublinguil B12 that is berry flavored that I get at Walmart and is my favorite! I am also taking two of the citracal petites a day and a B1 and then my Iron is called Vitron C I get it at walgreens it has Vitamin C in it to help with the absorbtion. I also take a gummy Vitamin D once a day. Just remember that you can't take your Calcium and Iron together.... You have to take them at seperate times of the day. Calcium interferes with how you absorb iron. All of my labs have come back great except for my B1 levels. (I wasn't taking it.... I hate the smell but I am taking it now)

Amanda

I take Centrum Silver chewable tablets as my Multivitamin. My nutritionist recommended them for me (even if the bottle does say for ages 50+ :P) right before I had the surgery since I wouldn't have been able to take pills without crushing them. I still use the chewable kind (citrus berry flavored ;)) because I just hate swallowing pills! I also take a B12 supplement that my surgeon prescribed after I told him about getting insanely dizzy easily (like, grabbing my head in pain and almost falling over dizzy), as well as having no energy. I'm not sure what the brand is, but I do know they smell and taste absolutely horrible!

I also take weekly Vitamin D supplement, but that's unrelated to the surgery. I started taking it months pre-op because my blood work showed that my Vitamin D level was 12... and you're supposed to be in between 30 and 100. Oops. :wacko:

I take Centrum chewable, vitafusion multivites and Calcium gummies. I also get B12 shots monthly. I used to be chronic anemia and have low b12 now everything is in normal range.

My doctor gave me tons of samples and even large bottles of Bariatric Advantage and Celebrate. Since I have so many to take a day, there is no way I can handle the chalk taste. I'm going to order the Calcium chewy bites from bariatric advantage. I went to target and got everything I need in Gummy form. The brands are vitafusion. Some doses I have to double but it's still a Vitamin. I also picked up viactiv for calcium. I know what my doctor recommends, but does the brand really matter? I can take all the gummies religiously I'm sure. The chalk ones, ugh yuck!

Yes the brand does matter when it comes to Calcium . We have to take calcium citrate and viactiv is calcium carbonate.

We need 1500 mg of calcium per day, taken separately 3x per day 500 mg. per day. I get the chocolate chews from Bariatric Advantage for 500 per day. I also use a berry flavored liquid from costco for 500 a day, and 3 calcium citrate capsules which I get from vitacost.com. for another 500.

I also take Bariatric Advantage chewable Iron with Vitamin C.

My D3 I take 10,000 a day for 50,000 per week, because my vit d was in the toilet too. I was advised by the dr. that I need 50,000 per week. I get the 10,000 little capsules also from vitacost.com

I also take a B complex, my mulit is a gummie for adults. I also take 5000 of Biotin per day, although honestly, I don't think it does anything.

I was just looking at the viactiv and the first ingredient is sugar! I do like the chewing, so I will probably enjoy them just for the next couple days until my Bariatric Advantage chewables come in. My nut said I can order those from the office and I don't have to pay shipping. So the Calcium brand matters. I bought a vitafusion Omega 3, Vitamin d, and B12. Do these brands matter? I compared Multivitamins from target to the ones from my nut and those had a huge difference. I figure I can deal with one chalky pill two times a day, but not more than that!

I take bariatric fusion Vitamins, in orange or strawberry. That's after sampling about 8 different "good" (formulated for bariatrics) Vitamins. They don't really taste chalky to me, they have a fairly strong flavor and go down easy.

When I had my lapband I went with Centrum chewables at first, and then I took the time to compare nutritional values. Bariatric vitamins are by far superior to anything you can get OTC.

I take 4 of these a day now, and will drop to 3 once I can get about 50% of my nutritional intake from foods (I'm just a week post-op). Check out these values

:

orange_facts.jpg

I was asked to take vit C, D, along with Omega 3, and B-12. Really did wonders for my immune system. I buy whatever is on sale (budget is a biggie).

When I had my lapband I went with Centrum chewables at first, and then I took the time to compare nutritional values. Bariatric Vitamins are by far superior to anything you can get OTC.

I am not sure what you mean by the above.....? I have the Centrum chewables and 1 of those gives you 100% of almost everything. Do you mean superior because it gives you more Calcium and B12? Centrum doesn't have much for calcium but then again you aren't supposed to take calcium and Iron together anyway so I expect to take a calcium supplement separately. Thank goodness calcium citrate doesn't have to be taken with food at least when I forget I can just take them.

I am not sure what you mean by the above.....? I have the Centrum chewables and 1 of those gives you 100% of almost everything. Do you mean superior because it gives you more Calcium and B12? Centrum doesn't have much for calcium but then again you aren't supposed to take calcium and Iron together anyway so I expect to take a calcium supplement separately. Thank goodness calcium citrate doesn't have to be taken with food at least when I forget I can just take them.

Mainly you take them 3 - 4 times a day. This lets them be spread out, versus all at once. With some things that doesn't matter, and with some things smaller doses are absorbed better. I personally don't want to take 100% of "amost everything" at one time. Others are fine with it. It's just personal opinion, or NUT directions, or whatever people are basing their decisions on. The Bariatric Fusions taste WAY better too, IMO. Also because with Centrum you still have to supplement the B12 (one of the ones I am fairly strict about), and with the low capacity my sleeve has (Vitamins often fill me up as much as a meal) if I can take 3 pills instead of 4 or 5 (or more), I'm down.

I don't worry too much about the calcium/iron fiasco. For one my labs haven't yet shown an Iron deficiency, and unless I NEED a particular nutrient, I don't worry too much about taking it. (I'm always a little amazed at how many people take mass doses of things they may not even need, when some of those things can be detrimental). I'm not low in iron now (haven't been since I was an infant) and I eat foods with good iron counts, so even if supplemental iron is being thwarted 40% by Ca, which is the absolute highest I've ever read it being, it isn't hurting me. Just MHO.

I take a softgel multivitamin twice daily (Nature Made multi). I also take calcium citrate 2 pills twice daily. I take B1 once a week, do a monthly B12 injection (I self-inject) and I take a probiotic daily. I also take my colitis meds, my blood pressure pill and my reflux meds as well.

I take a Trader joes chewable multi-Vitamin. vit B-12 sublingual then a crushed Iron supplement in the morning. I take a viactiv Calcium chew with Vitamin A and D, Natures way Probiotic chewable and a Vitamin C / Glucosamine fizzy drink for evening. The Nurse told me to always separate the calcium, D and A Vitamins from Iron, Multi-Vitamin and B Vitamins for better absorption.

Ikwa someone told me on here viactin isn't the right Calcium for us, we need calcium citrate not calcium carbonate. Try Bariatric Advantage chewy bites or Celebrate.< /p>

Ikwa someone told me on here viactin isn't the right Calcium for us' date=' we need calcium citrate not calcium carbonate. Try Bariatric Advantage chewy bites or celebrate.[/quote']

oh my you are right! I only just bought them. I 'll have to buy some of those. Thanks.