Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would love to see more activity in this particular forum! Buddies and mentors are exactly what each of us need to get through this tough journey. This is the best thought-of forum here, and more of us need to become familiar with its benefits, be it PRE or POST op.

Believe you me this journey IS TOUGH!! I still struggle, every single day... even at a year and a half post op. But for *myself* my greatest reward in all of this is my being able to assist and guide the countless new oppers that visit our site every month. Anyone looking for that one question answered, is all great and nice... but some folks out there may need a little more. That is perfectly okay, and THAT friends is what this little corner of our website is geared toward. ANYONE needing a little one on one.

I'm opening this new thread to invite this prospect to all of you - some to become a surgery angel and others in search of one.

What is a "Surgery Angel"? This person is going to be kind of like your tour guide to all things Vertical Sleeve Surgery. Someone you can turn to for any of your pre op or post op needs. Someone you can count on 100% when it seems no one is quite answering your individual question, or perhaps someone is a little too shy to post questions out in the open and would rather keep them more personal.

If someone is interested in opening themselves to being such a one on one mentor to someone else, be prepared to give your personal information such as email addresses and perhaps your cell number so they may text you. (Be sure to have your texts set properly on your phone plan!! LOL) If you live close enough, perhaps you can meet in person for any number of reasons, even to check on the person while they are recovering in the hospital. This Surgery Angel will also have the awesome responsibility of notifying the rest of the community here how the patient is doing in the hospital, as sometimes its hard for them to whip on the internet that same day... trust me - I know!! My Surgery Angel did an excellent job checking up on me, then relaying the message. ;)

If someone is interested in finding another who will be their Surgery Angel, here are a few things to consider: Surgeon, City of Surgery, Likeness in age, sex, amount of weight to lose (height and starting weight matches), body shape or type, even ethnicity might be a good match for some.

Good luck to everyone pre and post op. Finding someone to really rely upon and that is open to guide you in any way on a one to one level is a true blessing. Xoxo

I want but maybe I am not far enough from surgery? I would love to help others in all I can :) :)

I want but maybe I am not far enough from surgery? I would love to help others in all I can :) :)

Sure I think 3 months is far enough out. You will always be at least 3 months further along than the person you are helping. Sometimes it's even better because everything you are experiencing will be fresh in your mind. :) I think you'd be excellent!

I would be willing to do this. I am almost 7 months out now SD- 8/8/2011. I am 43 years old and I am 5'4" and my starting weight was 234. I am now 166 for a total of 68 pounds lost so far. I had my surgery in San Antonio at BMI of Texas with Dr. Duperier. I was self pay.

Awwww I love this! You are a doll Irene! I would love help :)

Ummmmm OK what do I need to do LOL?

I'm 44 years old and my peak weight was 234 lbs. I was sleeved August 27, 2010 and I was 204 lbs. I've been in maintenance for 9 months now. I barely really started consistently working out February 4, 2012 (only missed 2 days).

Ummmm what else...I was sleeved through Kaiser :)

Awesome you all rock!!! Hopefully some people will contact you wonderful ladies. :)

I'm in! I'm 49, 306 pounds at my highest (yikes). Sleeved 4/18/2011. Current stats in my signature. No exercise program to speak of--which is going to change soon. Experience with hypothyroidism, Iron deficiency, Vitamin deficiency, all fine now. Feeling fabulous and healthy.

I currently eat a mostly lactovegetarian diet with very occasional shrimp/crawfish--this is by my sleeve's preference. :-) I might be especially suited to mentor someone who, like me, has to manage the frustrations of a picky sleeve!

I think this is a great idea! I'm willing to help anyone I can! :)

I'm 5 months out. Starting weight 352, total loss so far 81 pounds. I do have a mild exercise program in place, working on amping it up. Lots of experience with pre-op co-morbidities, especially blood clots, embolisms and pneumonia.

I had surgery in Florida with Dr. Patrick Domkowski and I was self-pay. Not sure what else would be applicable, except that I've had no complications from surgery.

Sure I think 3 months is far enough out. You will always be at least 3 months further along than the person you are helping. Sometimes it's even better because everything you are experiencing will be fresh in your mind. :) I think you'd be excellent!

yay awesome :) I am 3 months out here and starting weight was 216 with a BMI of 38 some co morbidities like insulin resistant which I am not longer ( yay ),fatty liver,GERD etc

Total loss as for 3 months 60 lbs and counting, 31 lbs to goal,I will be happy to help anyone who would like to contact me :) add me on Facebook etc

I would love to help someone along on this journey. I am in the far north Dallas suburb of McKinney, but I can meet anywhere in the counties of Collin, Denton, Dallas, and even from time to time Tarrant county.

I am 5'1" and my all-time high was 265. My recent high, and starting weight in this surgery process, was 220. I was at 207 the date of surgery, 12/20/2011. My loss is 31 pounds to date in just over two months, and my jeans have gone from a size 20 to a size 14 (same brand and style).

I am 47 years old and have been battling this obesity on and off since about the age of 30. I am married to a very accepting and loving man of a normal BMI, who would be very open to talking to a partner about how to be supportive of this surgery.

I am not working outside the home at this time, so I would be happy to email, text, take calls or meet up. I can also visit in the hospital, especially for people who don't have family support.

Basically, I am happy to help. Send me a message.

Where do we find a surgery angel? I'm Shelly, 37, living in Cedar Hill , TX...just southwest of Dallas. My surgery is scheduled for April 16th and I would love to get in touch with someone who has been through the process.

Cheers!

Where do we find a surgery angel? I'm Shelly, 37, living in Cedar Hill , TX...just southwest of Dallas. My surgery is scheduled for April 16th and I would love to get in touch with someone who has been through the process.

Cheers!

kshell, read through the replies, there are many here who would love to help out. :) Someone that might match up to what you yourself are going through. Also, read through the entire buddies/mentors area. You may find someone that way as well. Good luck!

Awwww I love this! You are a doll Irene! I would love help :)

Ummmmm OK what do I need to do LOL?

I'm 44 years old and my peak weight was 234 lbs. I was sleeved August 27, 2010 and I was 204 lbs. I've been in maintenance for 9 months now. I barely really started consistently working out February 4, 2012 (only missed 2 days).

Ummmm what else...I was sleeved through Kaiser :)

I'm 38 years old. 5' 4" and I am 217 pounds (I've already lost 10 now from 227). I had to buy a new pair of pants for work and it was a size 20 with tops in the 1x because of my boobs, stomach, and back are so large. I also refuse to get any larger because my entire family is huge with so many health problems. My father is not going to live much longer due to his health conditions right now and he is only 64. My mother is having heart trouble now at only 64. I have 4 children ranging from 19 to 16 months and I want to be running around with them when I am 64 and playing and picking up my grandkids. I want to see my only daughter get married and become a mother herself. My surgery date is on May 14th. It is all going very fast but would love to have a mentor with similar starting point and goal as I do. :rolleyes: