Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Vsg A Year After Band Removed....

Hi All...I have been reading and lurking on here and after alot of thought, soul searching and prayer I think I might be ready to go down the WLS road...again!

I was banded back in 2008 and had all the normal PB, slime, vomiting and general crud that you have when you are banded. But I did lose 50# so I was willing to deal. Until Dec 2010 when it slipped and completely blocked my stomach. So thanks to Dr. Fisher at Kaiser Richmond, he removed the blasted thing and lo and behold I could eat again....

Fast forward a year and I have regained all the weight I lost and it brought friends. I am soooo discouraged since I now weigh MORE than I did when I got banded. And it doesn't seem to matter what I do, I can't seem to lose it. (of course 2 years of eating or trying to eat banded probably messed with my metabolism a little bit...not that it was good to begin with). So here I am back looking on the internet and considering my options.

I had not done any research on the sleeve when I got banded (dr didn't offer it) or I probably would have gone with it then. However, I am more than a little nervous about going down the road again since to be honest I hated the band. So please tell me how the sleeve is different from the band? Aside from the obvious. I want to know the real stuff, even the bad stuff, I don't want to go from bad to worse.

Thanks all....

Vicki

I had the band in 2008 also. I had the same issues with the band as most with the vomiting and the fear of slippage. I lost around 90 pounds with my band and was happy with that. Then one day it just stopped working and I never lost another pound or gained either. The problem was that I still have another 100 pounds to go. I went back and spoke to the surgeon that did my band and he told me that with the weight that I had to lose I should have probably had the sleeve to begin with. but at that time they were really not pushing the sleeve. I decided that I wanted the band out and was tired of the constant vomiting. My insurance denied me and they wanted over $40,000 to do it here. So I began to check into other options. It just happened that a friend who lived in CA has recently had the sleeve done in Tijuana. She was about a month out when I contacted her and she was doing great and was not having any issues with the sleeve. Her doctor was Dr Almanza and so I began to do some research. There were several doctors that were qualified so I called to see about the surgery. When I made up my mind I had a certain time frame that I could be away from work. I called to schedule with Dr Almanza but he was already booked at the time I wanted the surgery. She suggested Dr F Garcia and so I told her that I would think about it. I did a little more research. I eventually called back and booked my surgery with Dr Garcia.

Since my surgery on Dec 11 I have lost 30 pounds and have had only a few minor issues. I was have some Constipation but started to take some Fiber at Breakfast. I no longer get hungry and have to eat when the clock says that it is time. I have vomited once and that was my own fault as when I felt full I decided to finish the last little bit of my food. Not a good idea when you tummy tells you that you are full.....you are full. I am now eating mostly regular foods and lots of Proteins. I would have the surgery 3 more times as I am extremely happy with the results so far. It is a slow process getting back into eating food as you have a diet to follow and can add certain foods at different weeks. I have not had any trouble eating what I have been told that I can have and do not push it. If you have any other questions please ask away.

I had the band done in april 2003. I was miserable, wasnt able to eat anything but soup! Everything else would get stuck. So i had all Fluid removed when i started refluxing in my sleep. Still had issues with food getting stuck. I lost right at 80 lbs with the band but of course gained it back and then some (while i still had the band) But in April 2010 my band broke. (the tubing from the band to the port broke and was moving freely inside, causing THE most unbelievable pain i have ever experienced in my life.) Fast forward to Summer 2011. My blood sugar had finally tipped from 'borderline' diabetic to running full blast down the road to needing insulin. scary. I decided to go ahead with vsg on Sept 6 2011.

BEST. FREAKING. DECISION. EVER.

The sleeve is everything the band was promised to be. I have NEVER once had any issues eating anything. I just eat small portions. It is TOTALLY doable forever. the band wasnt a way that anyone can continue to live the rest of their lives. It is seriously awesome. My a1c has gone from 9.7 to 5.8 (normal!!!) I have lost 61 pounds since surgery!

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

:) good luck chickadee!!

I have been relatively impressed with everything I have read about the sleeve....seems like almost everyone is happy with it. I have seen a few people with complications but I would expect that with any surgery. However, I thought I was being very informed when I got my band too. But the band definitely wasn't the way I wanted to live. So no throwing up?? No "getting stuck"??? Can you actually eat REAL food...like chicken, and steak?? I felt like the band made it impossible to eat real food....processed foods seemed to be all I could eat...no matter how small the bite, or how much I chewed. I'm pretty happy with everything I have read/seen so far....hopefully I will get cooperation from the doc when I finally get to talk to him.

I know what you mean. I was never able to eat with the band. meat, veggies, fruit, rice... It all got stuck!

I have never once had anything get stuck. Its a totally different sensation from the band. No tight pressure/pain in your chest. I just feel full quickly. (full to me feels like I am full to the top, not outwards and bloated like preop.) I eat Mostly nothing but Protein. The only time I have gotten odd sensations (pressure, bubbles etc) is when I forgot and drank something while I was too full.

no throwing up, pb'ing, slimes, foamies... I gave felt nauseous from being to full but more in the sense of why did I eat that last bite?! Not in the serious omg omg throw up feeling I've had with the band.

I have been researching VSG revision for about a yr. now. I still have my band, but would have it removed immediately if I could afford it. Everyone that I know that revised from band to VSG is sooooooo much happier with VSG!!!

I got the band in 2006 and finally last year decided that I'd had enough of the sliming, throwing up, night reflux, etc. I wasn't eating healthy because I couldn't keep any solid food down, yet, I was surviving on cheetoes and not really losing much. I couldn't take medication - even tiny pills, because they'd get stuck.

On November 23, my band was removed and I got a sleeve. I love my sleeve (I wouldn't have said this back in December because I found the recovery more difficult than with the band), but now there are things that I missed all those years with the band that I'm so glad to have back: A few examples: 1. Real meals -- I can eat meat! and many other things that I hadn't had while I had the band. 2. No more waking up gasping for air because of reflux, or the horrible burning feeling in my chest. I sleep well, like a baby, now.

I wish I would have given up on the band sooner. No regrets.

There is really no comparison between the band and the sleeve. With the sleeve, you eat like a normal person. You eat anything you want, in small portions.

Living with the band was a nightmare. Living with the sleeve is like living a normal life as a thin person!

I'm pretty sure I have decided on the sleeve. Now I just have to go through the process.

How was the recovery? I will only be able to take a week off work (which was plenty with the band) and I'm a mom so I'm really hoping I can bounce back quickly. Seems like the sleeve is a much bigger surgery.

I had my first band placed in me in 2008. It slipped after I lost 85 pounds and was crawling into a kayak on vacation. My band was pretty messed up so the doctors decided they couldn't replace it when they took it out. I waited 4 months and decided I could not stand gaining weight. So I had a new band in November 2009. Since then I have not had much success in losing any more weight. I just lost 14 pounds a few months ago and then I just gained 5 pounds! My doctor today told me that she thought my band was not working for me and would I be open to a revision and getting the sleeve?

I am still trying to decide whether or not to go with it or not. My biggest fear is the pain after the surgery. The thought of having my stomach sliced up and stapled back together gives me the shivers. I am also wondering what damage my band did to my stomach. What if the band has attached itself to my stomach?

I had two bands put in and one taken out and I thought it was basically pain free. I didn't take pain meds when I got home from the hospital and I was in for only 24 hours.

I have enjoyed reading the posts related to former banders. It sounds so much better than having to deal with food getting stuck! I could not find the "sweet spot" in my second band. I was either too tight or little or no restriction. My first band was a dream because I found my "sweet spot" but having the second band didn't work that way.

I appreciate all your feedback and your experiences. It will help me decide to go forward with the sleeve. I have been told today that Blue Cross PPO will cover it. My next step is to schedule the psychiatric evaluation. Talked it over with my husband and mom tonight and both were very supportive. They know I struggle with my weight. My doctor today told me I will probably have the weight battle all my life and the sleeve may be my answer to get under 200 pounds.

I am also interested in the recovery time after the surgery. With the band, I was in the hospital overnight. I think I was off work a week with the first band and only a couple of days with the second band. The second time around I realized how easy it was. I made too much out of it the first time around.

I really didn't have any recovery with the band to sleeve revision. I had surgery on a Wed and went back to work on Monday . I really could not even tell I had surgery, after the first 24 hours.

WOW, Oregondaisy.....here's hoping I do that well!!! What was your reason for the revision?? Are you happy that you are sleeved now? Looks like you've had the sleeve for awhile now....still glad you did it??

That sounds like a great plan Oregondaisy. Going in Wednesday for the surgery and returning to work on Monday. I am so glad I read your post today. That is exactly what I was looking for. My doctor said I should plan on staying two nights in the hospital. Is that what you did?

I especially like your remark about it felt like you didn't have surgery. I felt that way with my band experience. i couldn't believe people were so weirded out by it. It was the easiest surgery I have ever had (I have had four knee surgeries). I had two bands put in and one taken out. I am on band #2. The first one slipped.

I would be interested in your experience now as far as how your restriction is with the sleeve vs. the band. What is the typical day as far as meals are concerned?

Vicki068 - I was banded in 2006 and had my band removed in September last year. I lost in the area of 185 lbs with my band. I suspect it slipped in 2008 (whem symptoms first occured) but I "tolerated" my slip and was even given the option of leaving it in until if/when symptoms worsened. I opted to have it taken the heck out.

I was kind of supposed to have revision to a sleeve in November of last year, my surgeon requires 2 mos between procedures. Long story short, I just got my approval this week and should be scheduled for surgery some time around March 1. March 1 of this year would've been my 6 year "bandiversary" so there's something a little poetic in that.

When I had my band, surgery was like 7am and I was outta there like 2pm. My surgeon requires overnight observation with sleeve, discharge the next morning if you're all clear. With the band, I slept the night I had surgery, but the next night I went shopping - I can't stand laying around doing nothing... but I leaned havily on the cart. I took 1 week off of work and was fine to return - probably could have returned sooner. For the sleeve my surgeon has advised me to take 2 weeks but plan on 4. I'm going to set up my STD claim as 4 weeks initially. When I had my band out I took 2 weeks. One of my incisions became infected. Otherwise I would've been fine a lot sooner.

HTH

I stayed two nights in the hospital. But unlike some others, it felt like I had surgery and my recovery was longer than when I got the band. The recovery is likely related to because I had a lot of scar tissue from the band - which complicates things (I'd had the band for over five years). Anyway, I had it on Wednesday and planned to return to work on Monday. I was unable to returned to work and ended up submitting an STD claim. I was granted 4 weeks. It took me about two weeks to feel myself again.