Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Source/type Controversy - Premier?

So, I made a silly random comment about my premier Protein shake on twitter, and had a person come back to me kind of off topic from what I posted to tell me that I shouldn't be relying on Premier Protein drinks as a Protein source because its not 100% hydrolyzed whey protein so isn't absorbed well. Not sure if this person is a rep for proto whey or what, but of course it rattles me to hear that a protein source I'm relying on may not be the best.

This particular one was recommended whole heartedly by my NUT as a good choice and she confirmed it this week.

So what is the deal?

I know she told me that I shouldn't use the protein bullets because the collagen form of protein is not very absorbable unless you consume animal protein at the same time. And she also just generally mentioned sources of protein derived from plants rather than animal are not as absorbable unless consumed with an animal protein source.

So why is the form of protein in PRemier supposedly bad? it lists milk protein concentrate, milk protein isolate, Calcium caseinate and whey protein concentrate. I have no clue.

I'm sure this has been asked before but didn't find a great thread upon searching. Does anyone have a link to an unbiased primer about the different types of protein and how they are absorbed and what is considered the best source from an unbiased source?

I'm willing to change but I don't want to change if what I'm doing is fine!

Alot of people think they know everything. Well guess what? They don't know. Every source I have heard talks very highly of Premier High Protein Drinks. It comes highly recommended by numerous dieticians and bariatric centers. I love it and will not stop drinking it. I do have other Protein like NuTek pro5 and isolate. I am learning to cook yummy pumpkin banana high protein bread with the isolate creamy vanilla and boy is it good. I like to just grab the premier in the am and just drink it without mixing it. If you find anything negative about it please keep us posted.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about it too much. ;)

thats how I feel too. I initially didn't like it, but its so easy and portable that I too really rely on it for my Breakfast. So I'd love to hear if anyone has any information or sources.

I have not been able to find much of anything from what I would consider a reputable source that indicates that collagen Fiber is not OK. All of the protien sources "loose" a certain amount in a "pure" form. I have read it is actually nominal. If you take the bullets, you can actually consume enough to balance it out easily.

You absorbed protien just fine before, and your stomach will learn to do so again.

In regards to whether or not you are getting enough protien, be sure not to forget your Multivitamins, Calcium, and keep a "log" of your veggies, so you have an idea of your Fiber also.

I will say from a purely personal point of view, drawn from experience and observation only. I think I feel better when I consume a bullet protien of choice daily. It does have the collagen, but it also has whey.< /p>

I have not tried the drink you spoke of originally. I really like powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury.

From what I understand about Milk Protein is that it is absorbed a little slower than Whey, but it is still absorbed.

If you are finishing a weight lifting routine, yes, Whey Protein is best. You want it absorbed into your bloodstream and made available for muscle repair ASAP.

If you just had 85% of your stomach removed ... you're allllll goooood.

BTW, my NUT also told me to stay away from the bullets ...

Interesting. The Premier Protein shakes is what I've been using and what was recommended along with others by my nutritionist. I was surprised to read your post. It's working for me. I did try a sample packet of the Unjury chocolate Protein mix and it was pretty good. The convenience of the Premier shakes is ideal. So, that is what I'm going with. Cheers!

I got to goal and beyond with Premier Protein shakes and I still drink them. My labs are super and I feel great. I'm not messing with what has worked for me.

I drink Premier Protein shakes regularly, too. My Nut and Surgeon both recommend them. I did ask about the Protein bullets and got frowns from both because of the collagen.< /p>

The first place I read about problems with collagen protein was the weight-lifters' boards. If you google "collagen protein" and "weight lifting", you'll find some very long and involved discussions on those boards. They sound just like the science nerds I knew in HS. I was a nerd, but not over science, for clarification! LOL The discussions I read convinced me; then my Nut and doctor backed it up. I won't be using collagen as my protein source. I was really intrigued by the idea of getting 30-48 g of protein from a 3 oz drink, too! :)

I also drink Premier Protein because I like the taste of it and because it's convenient. There have been other posts about different Protein sources but basically, hydrolyzed protein is more absorbable than isolates and isolates are more absorbable than concentrates. But honestly, I don't know how much of this REALLY matters for us!!!

Here is a link explaining the differences:

http://www.wheyproteinfiend.com/best-whey-protein/

That was a great link Lisa, and thanks to all of you for comments, because I hoped that between NUT recommendation and what seemed like the large number of people using premier here, that it probably was a decent choice.

I think you make a good point PDxman about what purpose the Protein supplement is being consumed for!

Thanks all of you for sharing your experiences, I feel better, I actually really rely on my premiers and wouldn't want to lose them (can't believe i'm saying that now given that pre-op I just HATED them :) :)

Just wish I could locate their strawberry flavor!!

I think the only place you can get the strawberry is online, directly from Premier Nutrition....unfortunately, it's out of stock right now.

Interestingly enough, a colleague of mine was recently telling me that Protein bars are a waste, and the majority of the Protein is not absorbed. The liquid whey and milk Proteins are better.

Has anyone heard this?

Interestingly enough, a colleague of mine was recently telling me that Protein bars are a waste, and the majority of the Protein is not absorbed. The liquid whey and milk Proteins are better.

Has anyone heard this?

Did they give any reason? I would follow up with them. I couldn't imagine why protein suspended in a bar would not absorb vs protein suspended in a shake ...

Nope, no reason! I haven't even researched it over the web yet. If I get any useful information, I'll make sure to post it in this thread.