Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is something I haven't seen mentioned on the board. The last couple days I get hiccups when I eat....strange? I don't know. Has this happened to anyone else. I am banded but not filled yet, and not sure what is causing the hiccups. Any ideas? Could I be eating too fast perhaps?

I just did that search for hiccups and find there are quite a few out there with them. Well, I didn't know I had the band till they started up today and they were none to pleasant. I thought for awhile there I was going to revisit my food, and actually had not eaten much at all....when they kicked in. I thought maybe too hungry as today was kind of an off day in eating, and I just ate too fast. It's later tonight and they have gone away completely and I will try and be careful they don't come back.

Thanks all for your help.

This is your diaphragm making it's agitation known. Most often, it's a sign of needing to slow down or closing in on that 'stop' sign because you're becoming full. To me, it's a definite 'YIELD' sign.. You'll find lots of references to 'hiccups' if you do a search.

I get the hiccups usually when I've gone one bite too far. Not so far as to hit PB land, but just a little too far.

Yup, hiccups mean to me that I am full. If I get a hiccup when i am not eating or drinking, I know it means that I am doing too much work, or that my diaphram is not happy with the bending over I have just done.

And when I do get them they are usually very mild.

Well, I always joke that when I get my hiccup, that means "Check, please!" :bananapartyhat:

It's like a gentle signal from my band that the meal is about finished.

Usuallly when I get "The Hiccup" that means time to put the fork down.

(Now were I to be greedy and keep eating :hungry: after getting that first little hiccup, that means the Band is not going to be happy, and hiccups are going to become more frequent and a bit louder.)

Lotsa Bandsters get the hiccups, I think they're really harmless.

:bananapartyhat: WOW!!! I am so glad I read this......I have been gettign hiccips and wondered what was going on....have not had them in years until banded!!! Thanks for the info!!! BeachBumFl :bananapartyhat:

Thanks for all your help. I bet that is exactly what the problem is. That must be my "overeating mechanism" kicking in and telling me to quit. I knew not to take Water or anything (even though you want to), I simply put my fork down and quit, but they continued for about 10 min....some mild, and some really made themselves known. I guess I will learn my limits fast as I would be so embarrassed if I went out to eat and this happened :bananapartyhat: I just couldn't stop.

Thanks all for letting me know I'm not alone.

Sometimes I just get general hiccups...when not eating. They still hurt. I've always been pretty prone to hiccups anyway.

But often when eating, I'll get 'em, and they are DEEP hiccups. THAT tells me something is not right and my diaphram is trying to dislodge it. Yup, sure sign to put the fork down and wait things out to see how they resolve.

Hi,

I get hiccups when I eat to fast or overeat or have golfball stuck:-)Nothing pleasant.I try to avoid them but this Saturday I learned that rice isnt for me. I ate chicken and rice (chicken is never a problem) and got the worst golfball, then PB, sliming and then I finally threw up.I hope I didnt hurt my band.

I got hiccups all the time before I got the band and now I still get them. No particular significance. I get them when I'm hungry, when I'm full and in between. But because I have been plagued with them all my life and because they can sometimes be very loud and uncomfortable I have found an absolute cure for hiccups without drinking Water. Take one tablespoon full of vinegar. They should be gone. If not, wait a couple of minutes and take one more. Works every single time. Good luck.

I get them two times. 1 - usually while I'm waiting to PB, like it doesn't hurt enough without my diaphragm throwing a temper tantrum. I've not had them before I'm well into the pain of a stick that isn't going to clear. And 2 - if a stick clears. If I have something stuck and it clears on its own, it's usually *hiccup*, *burp*, *all better*.

*hiccup*, *burp*, *all better*.

Also known as....how does a bandster spell ultimate RELIEF!!! LOL. Only a bandster can understand how that sequence is the closest thing to heaven!!!

:clap2: