Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is There A Lot Of Sagging Skin? Vs Lapband Skin

Hi, I was wondering how many people have a lot of sagging skin after revising to the sleeve? My heaviest before the lap band was 263 and my lowest was 192. 219 is my weight today, I am tall and most people think I weigh less, but I don't. Band will be removed shortly. However, with the band I did not have any sagging skin after a 71 pound weight loss. I read another thread that it depends on your elasticity in your skin. I have had children and never got stretch marks on my stomach. For real! So I am hoping I am one of those shrink to size people without plastics, I will hit the weights and the gym. What about the arms sagging? anyone? Love working out anyway, just like to see results. My band is up and down, tired of it. Thanks in advance.

Calitrells, I don't think the WLS procedure is really a factor in how much skin we'll have left. I think it depends a lot on genetics, age, condition of the skin prior to WLS, and how fast you lose. You sound like you'll be one of the lucky ones with little loose skin. It seems that women of color fare better in this department than women who have pale white skin. (Sorry, Tiffykins, I stole your line!)

I'm praying that the Native American bloodlines in me help with my skin elasticity. I'm halfway to my goal and have some loose skin on my upper arms, although my tummy is showing some improvement. I do have horrible stretch marks and I already had an "apron", so I may not be lucky in that department.

If you check on You Tube, several people have posted their WLS journeys and a few of them have been brave enough to show how much loose skin they have. It might help you better estimate what your skin might look like after losing your weight.

Good luck!! :)

Calitrells,

I did not have any revisions, but I do have the VSG. I got mines on 9/21/11. I have lost almost 45lbs thus far.

I do have stretch marks, after having a child, but -- it really depends on the body and how you treat it.

I say that because I have been exercising for over 25 years. I have been a runner for the last 17 years; and I have taken on wieght lifting (more so than normal) in the last 2 years. But since my surgery -- I was a baby walking. I literally had to start all over again and get my energy back up along with my stamina.

I do a lot of arm\leg workouts to not have sagging skin (summer's coming...lol). My underarms -- at this time -- you can tell that I have lost weight, but not guess surgery. It is sagging approximately 1/2" to 1" away from my body when I lift my arms. My legs\thighs -- I have no sagging skin.

I do over head arm lifts with a 20lb bar bell. This has helped alot!!! I also lift 60lb bar bells performing dead weight moves; I use the Smith Machine for squats and lunges. After my 5mile runs, I get on the thigh machines to tighten my thighs (no sagging thus far - thank God!).

I had a C-Section when having my son, so I do have a kangroo pouch -- but even that has lifted and is now going away. My tummy do not sag. Actually I have a 4pack! Running helps alot!

I also make sure that I am doing 3 different exercise when working on any stationary machine! It provides muscle confusion.

What do I mean by that? If am work on my back -- I take 2 barbells and work them, in the mist of my rest from the stationary machine.

Sooo, I either have a jump rope -- or 2 dumb bells (working arms); or bar bells doing squats, etc....

All of this also helps stop sagging skin. And, the body doesn't get long amounts of rest in between which means you are providing a constant burn.

Hope all of this can be some help to you. Soooonnn....I will take pictures and post them..heheheh

Calitrells,

I did not have any revisions, but I do have the VSG. I got mines on 9/21/11. I have lost almost 45lbs thus far.

I do have stretch marks, after having a child, but -- it really depends on the body and how you treat it.

I say that because I have been exercising for over 25 years. I have been a runner for the last 17 years; and I have taken on wieght lifting (more so than normal) in the last 2 years. But since my surgery -- I was a baby walking. I literally had to start all over again and get my energy back up along with my stamina.

I do a lot of arm\leg workouts to not have sagging skin (summer's coming...lol). My underarms -- at this time -- you can tell that I have lost weight, but not guess surgery. It is sagging approximately 1/2" to 1" away from my body when I lift my arms. My legs\thighs -- I have no sagging skin.

I do over head arm lifts with a 20lb bar bell. This has helped alot!!! I also lift 60lb bar bells performing dead weight moves; I use the Smith Machine for squats and lunges. After my 5mile runs, I get on the thigh machines to tighten my thighs (no sagging thus far - thank God!).

I had a C-Section when having my son, so I do have a kangroo pouch -- but even that has lifted and is now going away. My tummy do not sag. Actually I have a 4pack! Running helps alot!

I also make sure that I am doing 3 different exercise when working on any stationary machine! It provides muscle confusion.

What do I mean by that? If am work on my back -- I take 2 barbells and work them, in the mist of my rest from the stationary machine.

Sooo, I either have a jump rope -- or 2 dumb bells (working arms); or bar bells doing squats, etc....

All of this also helps stop sagging skin. And, the body doesn't get long amounts of rest in between which means you are providing a constant burn.

Hope all of this can be some help to you. Soooonnn....I will take pictures and post them..heheheh

Thanks so much for sharing and it did help, I am a work out person too. I see, I will lift heavier on my biceps and triceps, and add some squats in. I am not the bravest when it comes to surgery, so I want the gastric sleeve be my last one, no plastics.

Calitrells, I don't think the WLS procedure is really a factor in how much skin we'll have left. I think it depends a lot on genetics, age, condition of the skin prior to WLS, and how fast you lose. You sound like you'll be one of the lucky ones with little loose skin. It seems that women of color fare better in this department than women who have pale white skin. (Sorry, Tiffykins, I stole your line!)

I'm praying that the Native American bloodlines in me help with my skin elasticity. I'm halfway to my goal and have some loose skin on my upper arms, although my tummy is showing some improvement. I do have horrible stretch marks and I already had an "apron", so I may not be lucky in that department.

If you check on You Tube, several people have posted their WLS journeys and a few of them have been brave enough to show how much loose skin they have. It might help you better estimate what your skin might look like after losing your weight.

Good luck!! :smile1:

Hi, thanks for the response. I think the gastric sleeve maybe a faster weight lost than the lapband. You are right, it maybe how fast you lose it. I do not have to lose quickly so once I am able to eat I will try to keep calories healthy but not below 1000. I am not the bravest when it comes to having surgeries, I am like a kid the closer it gets. Run or hide. I want the gastric sleeve to be my last one, no plastics, the lapband was my first surgery.

The only thing about the procedure that would matter is maybe the rate of weight loss, if at all. As my surgeon puts it, "It is a matter fact. If you lose 150 pounds from an elastic organ such as skin, you’re going to have saggy skin."

When I had my band I lost a total of 185 - 200 lbs. At my lowest, I was within maybe 40 lbs of goal, so I can't speak to the state of my skin AT goal... but I didn't have much sagging until I was about 115 - 130 lbs down. Then I started sagging big time. Your skin has two major factors: history and heredity. History includes factors like lifestyle, skin care regimen, etc. Heredity is your genetic factors like race, family skin history, etc.

How overweight you got (how much your skin had to stretch), how long you were overweight, what years of your life (age) you were overweight, whether or not you smoke or are around smoke, ethnicity, ease with which you develop stretch marks, number of stretch marks you have; and type, exercise routine, health of skin (damage, e.g. sun damage)... and lots more are all factors.

My general motto is that if you're fat enough to need WLS, you're gonna have saggy skin. :)

I never got my weight down enough with the band to really tell about saggy skin. I have it now though! I really think it has to do with genetics, age, and whether or not you have had kids. I work out and I still have lots of skin. I do believe working out helps greatly. You are going to love the sleeve!

I never got my weight down enough with the band to really tell about saggy skin. I have it now though! I really think it has to do with genetics, age, and whether or not you have had kids. I work out and I still have lots of skin. I do believe working out helps greatly. You are going to love the sleeve!

Thank you for response, looking forward to getting this band out.