Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medic Alert Bracelets - Are they recommended?

If it were my wife that were banded, it would be a red cross made of ruby baguettes, laid in a pave diamond background.

Hey, if you're gonna go, go big (which I guess has been my problem all this time)...

Naso-gastric tube...not sure of the spelling, but the tube they put down your throat, into the stomach.

Mine has no information on it, only a #. Emergency personel can get the info by phone or online, it has a detailed personal history. My lap band info, I have multiple medication allergies, surgical history, blood type, and several contact numbers. It can be updated as well. It is the ugly red cross....but necessary. My Uncle is a MD in Mississippi, and he gave them to all of his nieces and nephews several years ago!!!

Kat

Hi Everyone....

Thanks for all your input. I don't know what NG stands for either but I was told by my surgeon this morning to put "CAUTION / NG Tube" on the Bracelet, along with Lap-Band Surgery and the Dr's Name and phone #.

I went to this web site and ordered my bracelet. It combines style with that unmistakeable red insignia. www.laurenshope.com. They're costly - about $70-$80 once you get all your info on the tag. But my doctor insists on it and from what I've heard here, it sounds like a good thing.

P.S. James....I think I love you:)

If you buy the medical ID tag with holes at both ends you can find alot of great bracelets to attach to them. Alot of different places now sell these watch heads that you can attach different bracelets to and those bracelets work great with the ID band. (gee did that make any sense?)

I have found some at Hallmark, Avenue, Cracker Barrel all over really.

Also check Ebay, some of the sellers even do ingraving. I have had great luck with finding cool stuff for a lot less than in the other shops. Penni also has a great selection, great quality and really great prices. ~Mandy

I'm getting one that says

Leona .....

Adjust. Gastric Band

w/ abdominal Mediport

No N/G w/o Scope

Dr. Name/ #

More info in wallet.

I was told that your Bracelet should say MEDIPORT because most hospitals have no idea what kind of port you have, but a mediport is recongnized and you have one anyway. It is the same port used in chemo or heart patients and it is widely acknowledged if need be to unfill it.

My mom and I are using Med alert bracelets. My dad already has one and there are family discounts. Plus the info is easily looked up and ENTs look for the emblem.

I hope I never have to use it, but it will be nice to have it when I get it in a week or so. I'll feel so much better!

I have the silver Bracelet with the Red cross on it....and I get asked alot what it is for. It has by name, dr name, his office number, Gastric Band, date of banding. The bracelet that I have is from American Medical-ID site and is the one on the front page in the middle. To me the more it looks like an actual medical bracelet instead of being fashionable the better. If it's fancy then a medical professional might not look at it. So, don't think about the fashion part, think of your health first.

http://www.americanmedical-id.com/marketplace/details.php?prodid=1089134115&usersession=Y9TWVG9C

http://www.n-styleid.com/

I'm looking at some of the ones here: http://www.medicid.com/

They're more subtle than the big red emblem. I know vanity isn't important - or shouldn't be - when it's your health, but I haven't told anyone about my surgery, so I don't want a big honking thing that says LOOK AT ME.

The watches are cool, but I don't think they will be noticed. If the watch face had the medic alert emblem on it I would say go for it. Or if you wear it with the watch on the inside of your wrist, maybe??? ~Mandy

No problem mysherrijo:

Again, I hope you never have to use it, but it is a comfort knowing that if we did need it, it's there and ready to be used!

True, I would hate for them to put a tube down and tear something up, but I guess if I'm dying it isn't going to matter any how. LOL

Looks like your weight loss is going great. I'm so proud for you. I was doing great now only a couple pounds a week. I scheduled my fill for the 15 th which was 5 weeks but I called and changed it to next week. It will only be 4 weeks but my restriction is getting less and less and I sure don't want to gain the weight I've already lost back.

Keep up the good work.

THey have options now that look just like regular jewlery.

I bought my mother a new medic alert Bracelet last year. She hated wearing the big red symbol, and could never find any that looked decent. I ordered one for her from a local chain jewlery store. It's a gold bracelet with a gold face, and instead of the red symbol it has one engraved into the gold in a matte finish. You know those name bracelets some people wear? Looks kind of like that, only it's medic alert. I personally was worried that a medic might see it and not think it was an alert, so I bought a little charm that hangs off the "badge" area, that's a small gold emblem with the red symbol on it. Total was about $550 but could have been done more cheaply if I hadn't had it customized.

I got her "MED-2180" with a custom chain (bought a chain at the store and had them splice the emblem into it) from the first link, and "MED-6" to hang off of it, from the second link.

post-205294-13813133856647_thumb.jpg

post-205294-13813133857292_thumb.jpg