Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 Days Post Op And Regretting Decision.

Um, just so you know I am 15 months post-op and I have not ever thrown up since being sleeved. Not once. And that includes post-anthesia nausea...(thank you scope. patch to ward off nausea that my surgeon gives his patients!)

So there you have it. My hubby is sleeved and threw up approx. twice. Both times he was about 6-7 weeks out and was at a restaurant and trying to eyeball his food (vs. mesauring it at home) and it wasn't a big deal.

I have an almost un-natural fear of throwing up. It is the biggest single reason that I didn't pick the band (seems like a LOT of bandsters have medically band-induced bulimia!) No. Thank. You.

So PdxMan is right, not everyone comes on here and says "guess what? Today I didn't throw up!" :)

Thank you so much everyone for all your responses, you are all making me feel so much better. :-) I guess when I was on here the days after surgery I read so many people that were getting sick and then I thought wow, something must be wrong with me, I never got sick yet.....I am one of those waiting for the other shoe to drop people, I have to stop being that way and be positive. You are all wonderful for writing to me and I do thank you from the bottom of my heart for the encouragement.

Chrissy, I'm one of those who has had a lot of throwing up post surgery. But I'm not in the majority. Before being sleeved, I would do ANYTHING to avoid throwing up--I absolutely hated it, and it was just the worst thing ever. I was really worried about it, too.

I ended up with a very tight and super picky sleeve, and sometimes he decides he doesn't want/like what I put in there. But it's not the same sort of throwing up as before. I'm about to be a bit graphic, so forgive me, but I want to try to allay some of your fears about it. Post-op throwing up is quick. It's not accompanied by the same sort of hot/cold flashes, cold sweats, etc. that you get when you get a stomach virus, for instance. Some people do feel nausea; I don't. It's more a mechanical thing, more a matter of the food physically won't go in there or can't be physically tolerated, and it needs to come back out. It's not acidic or painful. It's not pleasant, don't get me wrong, but it's nothing like being sick with a virus or something.

Most likely, you won't have any problem at all. If you do throw up once (or many times), it will still be okay. I have totally lost my fear of it now--because I know it's just about removing the food. You will eventually learn how to eat so that you minimize the likelihood of it happening. And even my sensitive sleeve goes for LONG periods of time without rejecting stuff, so I imagine you're going to do just fine. It's a trial and error process, and that's okay. I have found that I can now tell early in the process (sometimes after just one bite) if I'm not going to be able to tolerate the food, and if I stop then, I don't get sick. I can switch to some other reliable food and be just fine.

So hang in there and don't let this be a worry to you. If you are one of the few, the proud, the thrower-uppers, welcome to the club, and you'll be okay. If you're not, even better. Hope this doesn't scare you or gross you out too much--I'm just trying to give you some honest feedback and some comfort, since I'm there. :-)

Somewhere along the line you got some bad info that has caused you some distress. I have not vomited once since I had my sleeve done on Dec 11. When I had my lapband before this I was vomiting almost on a daily basis. If you have the sleeve now and you are vomiting frequently I would consult your doctor. It is an adjustment when you start going from one stage of foods to another. You just have to start out slow and see how you feel as you eat. For sure you stomach will tell you when you are done.....and don't think that you should have just one more bite as you will for sure regret it. My stomach tells me now when I am done. I do not say to myself.....oh you have to eat 6 oz of this at this meal. Eat what you can and then stop. Just make sure that is you are not getting enough Protein in your diet then supplement with a Protein Shake. Also make sure that you are getting in all of your fliuds. Take your Vitamins, Calcium and vit B12 and whatever else that doctor has told you what to take.

I was sleeved 12/5/11 and haven't thrown up once, not even in the hospital. I have slimed twice, but that was because I was being silly and not following the rules of no drinking with meals mostly. Tomorrow will be 8 weeks and I am down 55 pounds! If you are still regretting your decision- you won't be for long!

Good old buyers remorse. . . it happens to all of us I assume, I know it sure did to me in the beginning. . that "oh god what did i do" feeling was there with me for about 3-4 months. . .now i'm out going onto 3 years and there are days that I still have a fleeting moment of "awww shucks" but that moment is just fleeting. . . I am really happy I have this tool, especially when the goodies seem too good! Good luck!

Chrissy, I personally threw up for the first 48-hours after surgery. I was prepared for this as a possible side affect. I was miserable couldn't keep down ice chips but miraculously on the 3rd day after surgery all the nausea stopped. I haven't had any other issues with nausea since. During that ordeal

I had absolutely no regrets.