Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is The Pain Real, Real, Bad If Lapband Is Removed And Gastric Sleeve Done At The Same Time?

Hi, got an appointment real soon, and was wondering about the pain after surgery, especially if they do both. For those of you who had the band removed, and the gastric sleeve put in at the same time, did it hurt extra worse than the band surgery? I do not like too much pain, some, but not over the top pain. The lapband surgery hurt, but it was not that bad. I know I sound like a big baby, but to my Mom and Hubby I am. LOL! Your thoughts are appreciated! God bless!

Here in the US my doctor wanted to do 2 seperate surgeries.....one to removed the band and then wait months and then go back and do the sleeve. This also would have cost me over $40,000 out of pocket. When I could not afford that and my insurance said no I started checking into Mexico. Most doctors there do it all in one procedure if you do not have a lot of damage from the band.

I had my band for 2 years and before they did my surgery in Mexico they did a scope to look at my stomach lining around the band to make sure there were no major erosions or other complications. My was fine so they took it out and did the sleeve at the same time which most have done.

I did not really have any pain with the band removal and sleeve performed. It was more of a discomfort. I did have more pain after the band but then I came home the same day where as with the sleeve I was in the hospital for a couple of days and they were giving me some pain meds. I had surgery on a Monday and was released on Wednesday. They gave me pain pills to take when I was released but I never took any of them. I am sure that everyone has a different pain threshold but if you take it easy you should be fine. I had a lot of discomfort in my left shoulder area but they say that is more from the air that is left in your stomach after the surgery and this does go away and is helped by walking.

If you are having the lap band removed, and there were no serious problems (there are cases where it has created abcesses and such, or fiberous inclusions or the stomach had grown around it), then I would educated-guess that it should not be too much more painful to have both procedures at once. I don't know how the surgery you had went, and of course cannot fortell how your next one will go.

They will have to remove the port where you filled the band, and then remove everything through an opening with a trocar inserted, and of course the sleeve will be where they remove your stomach, and I think I read where there is no need to remove it from a different location than where they extract the lapband equipment - You can have the complications of gas and such everyone has with the sleeve.

Good question...waiting to hear from those who really know, lol.

Thanks for your comments, I am pain tolerant. Gas I can expect, doesn't feel good, but I can live with it. However, pain like abdominal pain or pain in the stomach, on the inside, I can tolerate too, but not at extreme levels. Hopefully I can have them done at the same time, andersonlj.

Thanks for your comments, I am pain tolerant. Gas I can expect, doesn't feel good, but I can live with it. However, pain like abdominal pain or pain in the stomach, on the inside, I can tolerate too, but not at extreme levels. Hopefully I can have them done at the same time, andersonlj.

If you are having the lap band removed, and there were no serious problems (there are cases where it has created abcesses and such, or fiberous inclusions or the stomach had grown around it), then I would educated-guess that it should not be too much more painful to have both procedures at once. I don't know how the surgery you had went, and of course cannot fortell how your next one will go.

They will have to remove the port where you filled the band, and then remove everything through an opening with a trocar inserted, and of course the sleeve will be where they remove your stomach, and I think I read where there is no need to remove it from a different location than where they extract the lapband equipment - You can have the complications of gas and such everyone has with the sleeve.

Good question...waiting to hear from those who really know, lol.

Hi, thanks for your comment, I never had any erosions, slips, or abscesses, just a lot of acid reflux and choking during sleep. This band has to go.

Both band surgeries (I went through 2 bands) hurt way more than my sleeve surgery....honestly, for me, they didn't even compare. I used my liquid pain meds from my band surgeries for at least a week....I was off all pain meds within 72 hours from my sleeve. It felt SO good just to get that thing out of my body.

Best of luck to you...you will LOVE your sleeve :)

Both band surgeries (I went through 2 bands) hurt way more than my sleeve surgery....honestly, for me, they didn't even compare. I used my liquid pain meds from my band surgeries for at least a week....I was off all pain meds within 72 hours from my sleeve. It felt SO good just to get that thing out of my body.

Best of luck to you...you will LOVE your sleeve :smile1:

Hi, okay, I know everybody is different, but this post was encouraging.

I would have to say that when I originally had my band surgery, I experienced a great deal more pain than when I had the band removed and was sleeved. I had my removal and sleeve done at the same time. I experienced a bit of discomfort where the port used to be, but not enough to make me want to take the pain meds once I was discharged from the hospital. Pain really wasn't an issue for me, my problem was dealing with the nausea.

I would have to say that when I originally had my band surgery, I experienced a great deal more pain than when I had the band removed and was sleeved. I had my removal and sleeve done at the same time. I experienced a bit of discomfort where the port used to be, but not enough to make me want to take the pain meds once I was discharged from the hospital. Pain really wasn't an issue for me, my problem was dealing with the nausea.

Thanks for your reply, nausea is not my favorite either. I am feeling a lot better about the surgery now.

If I hadn't have had my gall bladder out at the same time I had my revision, I think that the pain would have been much less than it was having the Band put in. That port site hurt. I'm almost 6 weeks out, feeling great, and couldn't be happier.

I had FAR less pain with my revision than I did getting the band in. (Especially the incision where the port was inserted originally. It healed a lot faster this time.) I will say this though...I did use my pain pump a couple times, but if I was awake, I kept an ice pack across my belly to help with the swelling. It was WONDERFUL!

My revision to sleeve was pretty much pain free. I had surgery on a Wed. and went back to work on Monday.

I recieve it oregondaisy, I am believing God for the same outcome, so I can go back to class in about 4 days. I hate to get behind in school.

My revision to sleeve was pretty much pain free. I had surgery on a Wed. and went back to work on Monday.

I was also worried about the pain but everything was so much better than ever imagined. After 2 lapband slips, I'm so glad to have the sleeve. Tylenol helps so much and folllow instructions precisely.

So far so good for me. best of luck!

I was also worried about the pain but everything was so much better than ever imagined. After 2 lapband slips, I'm so glad to have the sleeve. Tylenol helps so much and folllow instructions precisely.

So far so good for me. best of luck!

Thanks for your response, it helps. When did you get your sleeve?