Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insomnia After Being Sleeved?

My sister who was sleeved on Aug 30th and now myself who was sleeved on Dec 28th both have trouble sleeping. I am used to being exhausted and sleep a good 8 hours a night, but since surgery, I wake after 5 hours and just can't go back to sleep. If I do get up for awhile and go back to bed I can get in another 2-3 hours. I am back to work now so I don't have the time to do back to bed.

Does this ever change? Does anyone out there have a remedy? I blame it on all the Protein so I've been trying to get my daily requirements in before 2:00, but it didn't work last night. Bingo, 3:00 am and I am up for the day. Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I had the opposite affect. I've been taking sleeping pills for years. Since the surgery, I believe I've only taken them 3 times.

i definitely feel u on the insomnia...and im tired... it seems i can't fall asleep before about 4 am then i sleep till noon.. but i wake up every few hours... so im all ears as well for suggestion.

I also had trouble sleeping after my surgery. I would go to bed around 10:30 or 11pm and I would be awake at 5-6 am and could not fall back to sleep. I just stayed in bed and rested and sometimes I would fall back to sleep for short periods. I am not sure what the cause is but it does get better. I am now 4 weeks out and I am definetly sleep longer and better.

I was sleeved Dec. 27, and I have sleep apnea. But I've been waking up even using my CPAP and have been lying awake several nights.

I confess I took a melantonin one night and it knocked me right out. I wouldn't hesitate to take another if I needed to.

CC

I don't have true insominia but I do have trouble sleeping. Like I'll wake up at 3 in the morning and it will take me an hour to go back to sleep. I thought it was just me but its something I definitely noticed after surgery.

Wow! I thought it was just me! I was sleeved on 8/31. At first, I was sleeping well. But, pretty soon after I started feeling physically healed (about a month out) I started suffering with insomnia. I, too, have sleep apnea. Even with the CPAP, I am literally up and down all night. I can go to bed at 10pm and I'm back up at 2 or 3am almost every night. Then, I'm trying to force myself to get back to sleep until I have to get up at 5am for work. I've been exhausted for months! If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.

I am suffering from the same exact thing! I'm almost a month out of surgery, and lately its been so hard for me to fall asleep, sometimes I stay up until 8 am or 10 am then sleep from then until 2 or 3 and can't go back to sleep until the next morning, this is making me go crazy! If anyone has suggestions please do tell!

I did have the same issues right after surgery. I think I read somewhere that this is an effect of being in Ketosis but I'm not positive.

Hello everyone, unfortunately my Dr's visit was a fast one and I didn't get all my questions answered. The Dr was 40 mins late and in a rush. He wasn't my Dr. but a fill in. I spoke with the dietitian today. She said it is common and Shea you are correct, it has something to do with Ketosis. and should go away eventually . In the mean time, I can try Melatonin, but the pharmacist they work with said my sleep pattern is a good candidate for Ambien CR, but I am trying to get rid of prescription meds. So I bought some today, 10mg. I will let you know how they work. Thanks for all of your comments.

Add me to the list!! I think once the pain meds were out of my system, my sleep pattern was thrown completely off!!! I'm up until 2/4am and sleep for 4 or 5 hours restlessly and then I'm up again.. I was taking naps, but in the last few days... no naps... UGH!! I want some relief or a good book!!!

Hello everyone, I bought the Melatonin, but the last two nights have been so exhausted, I slept like a baby without it. I went back to work on Monday about 10 days post op. I have a physically demanding job of standing and walking a lot all day, so my body had had enough by Wed/Thursday and I have slept so good, it also may have something to do with eating regular food and the energy it takes to digest it, but after that wears off an I have to rely on a sleeping aid, I will let you know.. As I said, my sister is 4 months out and still has this terrible sleeping pattern.

I've been battling it for decades and have it BAD post-op. I got maybe 2 hours sleep last night.

I don't know if it is stress, diet change or something made worse by the sleeve proceedure. It is really getting me down.

Have you tried sleep aids Rootman? DO you exercise? Just curious, I'm sure you've been asked all the questions. In my past life of "Dieting" , I always had to give up the low carb, high Protein diets because of sleep deprivation, later on when on a low calorie diet I discovered I could not exercise in the evening or the same issues occurred. I hope this last 2 nights is a new pattern for me. I enjoyed getting my beauty rest, God knows at this age we need all the beauty we can get. :-)

me too. my sleeve is very new but I've noticed I have a harder time falling asleep and wake more in the night. this morning I was up at about 4am.