Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long should I wait to get in the tanning bed after surgery?

Hi,

Ok, I am going to ask. Why are you using a tanning bed?

Suzanne

I would wait. Until your incisions are healed or keep them covered up!

So glad this was asked! I'm not a big tanner as I'm very fair skinned (freckles and all.) However, with how could we can all get I can't imagine not loving the FEEL of the tanning bed! I was affraid to get in and have my scars get really dark though. My cousin suggested band aids. I'm considering it because I can tan for free at the gym I joined.

Yes wait a few weeks till your incisions are healed or they will scar! Mine did - because I went to a tanning bed 3 weeks after and my scars are dark... way darker than my skin or any other scars I have.

I am a very frequent tanner ..Like 3 times a week..I had to wait a couple of weeks ..Kept my incision area covered until it healed..You make consider doing stand up for awhile I did..thin and tan...yea me.

I went in 5 days after helped to dry up inscisions

I am 6 weeks out and would love to go to the tanning bed but I am afraid of having the dark scars. Do you think 6 weeks is long enough??

Wow, I wouldn't ever dream of laying on one of those death beds. I love my skin to much and I have a lot of skin.

I thought I would never find myself eating myself to death either !

I went into a bronzing bed for weeks after my surgery and got deathly ill before I even left the room. Symptoms of heat stroke. Not sure if it wasn't because I wasn't taking enough Water in or what. I tanned all the time before my surgery 4 years so take it easy and if you feel yourself overheating get out and try later. I'm going on 3 months and I'm going to try again.

If you discuss with plastic surgeons it can affect your scar color for the entire first year. Plus you are asking to develop skin cancer.