Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have not-but more because I am a Pepsi addict than anything else!! My doctor takes a hard line on soda-but I know some people handle it OK. Personally, as much as I crave it-I don't dare take even a sip. Every one I know that has regained weight attributes it to soda. I know that I can't handle just one sip.

I see no redeeming value to soda. In addition to just losing weight-I'm here to learn healthier eating habits and for me that can't include soda.

My doctor says that the carbonation can contribute to stretching your sleeve. Others in this forum say that is not possible. Not willing to take that risk. It was hard enough to give it up pre-op.

Just went to the Dr. and asked some questions I have been wondering about for awhile. I think you should follow your Dr.'s orders. When I asked about soda... he said they discoruaged it in the beginning because it causes pressure and in some people alot of discomfort. My addiction is seltzer water... weird I know (even the doc told me in a kidding way that was strange) but he also told me that if I could tolerate it, there is no reason I could not have a seltzer Water once in a while. He said that in his experience it did not stretch out the gastric sleeve.

Khy

I'm with DebiC - I don't care if some people can still handle soda after VSG or not, I've already resigned myself to the fact that I will never have it again and at this point I couldn't care less about it.

I know sodas are highly discouraged, but I do allow myself one per week. I have made Saturday my day, because that is the day I am most likely to be at a movie or out to eat with friends and family. I look forward to it all week. Sometimes it's worth every sip; sometimes I just have a couple of swigs and I don't want any more. It does occasionally cause some discomfort--not so much in the pouch, but in my reflux. I guess because my body is not used to it like it was pre-surgery. As long as I can handle ONE soda once a week, I'm OK. If I ever start making excuses for more than that, then I will have to cold turkey it again.

I am a coke zero addict. I am working on giving it up gradually in preparation for my pre-op in a few weeks. I worry that I will struggle with giving it up forever after the surgery. However, I also keep reminding myself that my unhealthy addiction and dependency on food and cokes is what got me here in the first place. So as part of my lifestyle change, I am really trying to make it my goal to completely give up soda and never look back. Good luck to you with your journey. We can do this!

I truly loved sodas. But we all know that they are bad for our bodies. I stopped all caffeine three weeks before pre op diet the next week all sodas. The first week had bad headache the next week none. Now this Tuesday I start my pre op diet. More worried about being hungry for the two weeks than sodas at this point.

When I had to give up soda after my Lap-band, I found out that, when I tasted it again, all I could taste were chemical salts. I could care less now.

Well, I don't think there are many Dr.'s who encourage soda- but several have different reasons for doing so. My Dr. said it was because of the carbonation and the air it would create in our stomachs. He does not believe it stretches the sleeve, says its physically not possible.

I am a Diet Pepsi Wild Cherry addict (before surgery and now). I have about one 20oz Diet Pepsi Wild Cherry per day and it has not affected my weight loss at all. Now before surgery, I could drink several bottles or cans of that stuff, now it takes me an entire day to drink it because of the carbonation. I do drink some Water, but usually more crystal lite. I don't like coffee, tea, etc.... so my choices in healthy things to stay hydrated are limited.

Anyways, do what you feel works best for you and of course follow your Dr's orders. What I am doing works just fine for me. 101# down in 6 months and 1 week, 35# more to go.

I use to drink Pop(Doda) everyday..I loved drinking the clear Pops...7up, Sprite and Ginger ale...I was able to burp when needed. Pre /Post surgery (sleeve) per dietician recommendations...No Carbonation because she said it can cause Ulcers...I have moved on to Non-Carbonated Diet Ice Tea!....too scared of Ulcers....

I drink a diet coke and a few sparkling waters everyday. Zero problems. And my weightloss is great. No stretching of the sleeve!

I was a diet coke addict before surgery and drank it up to the second before midnight before I went in for surgery. I haven't had a drop since the surgery and I honestly don't miss it. I now am drinking diet Snapple raspberry and peach tea and they are my new favorites. I find I am sleeping better and getting up earlier without the caffeine high I was getting from the d.c.

I wasn't much of a soda drinker before surgery, so I don't worry about having a few sips here & there. It's not a trigger for me and I also typically would never even finish one, not even a 12-oz can.

So for example, when I took my daughter to the movie today she wanted a frozen coke. I bought her one and probably had 4-5 sips of it. It tasted good, but awfully sweet.

I don't drink much anymore but if I do happen to have a night out with friends and a little too much to drink, I love to have a bit of a McDonald's fountain coke the next day for my hangover. I swear they put something magical in that stuff that helps cure any hangover!!

NOW, let me say that one of my trigger beverages was sweet tea . . . when we would go out to eat at places that had sweet tea I'd usually finish at least 2 glasses before we even received our dinner . . . UGH. When I think back about all that caffeine and sugar it makes me crazy! I don't let myself drink tea at all, because even making Decaf iced tea and sweetening with splenda is like a sweet tea trigger for me. Luckily I'm mostly drinking plain Water, it doesn't bother me and is better than anything else anyway!!

I didn't drink much soda even before surgery so it doesn't appease me. I actually am having a hard time finding things I actually like. I don't like artifical flavoring or sweeteners, so I am down to unsweetened diluted applejuice and Water. Boring :(

I was a pepsi addict before surgery. Haven't had a single one since last summer- however,

I did come down with a tummy bug some weeks before Christmas and I had some flat diet ginger ale- I really have never cared for any kind of diet soda pop but my stomach did ok with the diet ginger ale and I felt better the the next day. It's not something I would encourage others to do but for me- it was ok and I think it was better to have something in my stomach that I could keep down. My normal daily beverages consist of alkaline water- I prefer the Evamor and a morning Decaf coffee or tea with stevia sweetener.