Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

soft food stand still!

i have been on soft foods now for about a week and a few days. it seems like since i have gone to soft foods, my scale has not moved down anymore. what gives? i don't have alot of calories and i move around alot. is this normal?

I'm in the same boat as you Christa- I lost 18lbs, banded on July 5th. It was falling off, then started my mushies, and keep gaining and losing the same 2 lbs.....I start hard food tomorrow, and I hope that will help. I don't think a diet of mashed potato has been very helpful. Hang in there~

yup, perfectly normal.

If you've just moved from liquids to soft, then you suddenly have mass in your colon. which was pretty empty from the weeks of liquid. Lots of people see the scale move up at this stage. notice I did not say weight gain. Very important.

Any weight lost before the first fill is BONUS and not band weight loss. Many people don't lose any real weight until after their first and sometimes second fill.

Cheers and Courage!

How long do I have to wait to get a fill? I was banded on July 12th and just started on soft foods. I don't feel full and I seem to be hungry more than I thought I would.

I was banded on July 10th and get my first fill on Aug. 15. They had me scheduled on Aug. 8th but I was just afraid that was too soon.

Hope your doing great.

vinesqueen,

i do understand that most people don't see weight loss until their first fill, but i have in essence already had a fill. at the time that my band was placed, the band was filled with 3 ccs of saline. it only holds 4. so, i don't reallly think i am falling under the norm here. but, i will hold tight. i certainly don't think i need to go get a fill.

:huggie: :P They put in 3ccs during surgery?? In a band that only holds 4?? WOWEE, that's quite a risk in my opinion. In a Vanguard maybe, but a band that ONLY holds 4ccs??? I'm sorry, but that is very scary and I would sure verify it. Something doesn't sound just right here..

vinesqueen,

i do understand that most people don't see weight loss until their first fill, but i have in essence already had a fill. at the time that my band was placed, the band was filled with 3 ccs of saline. it only holds 4. so, i don't reallly think i am falling under the norm here. but, i will hold tight. i certainly don't think i need to go get a fill.

well, they said that is how much was needed for the band to be tight on my stomach. i haven't had any problems with it. i was most shocked too!

It is normal. According to my surgeon most people stop losing or even gain a little during the transitions to soft food and then to solids. I didn't lose any weight for about a month after the liquid stage. The fill will start working after you're on solids, soft foods just pass through :)

i have been on soft foods now for about a week and a few days. it seems like since i have gone to soft foods, my scale has not moved down anymore. what gives? i don't have alot of calories and i move around alot. is this normal?

Are you getting enough Protein? Are you drinking enough Water? Those are the two things that sabatoged my loss from the beginning. Make sure you are getting at least 50 -60 grams of protein a day. You will need to use Protein Drinks to achieve that at this point if you are still doing mushies. I went to see the nutriion person at the hospital that handles

bariatric people and their diets and she had me track my protien and water and Fiber intake. ( I was on solid food at the time) Might not be a bad idea to locate on of the professional nutritionists. I am sure your doc has someone to recommend.

so, if i increase my Water and Protein intake that will start me to losing again? i have been getting more water in, and no, at first i was not taking in hardly any protein. now i drink a protein supplement in which i get at least 40g from that and the other 20 i know i get from food. we shall see how it goes from there.