Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it really Gone for Good?

:help:

Hello All! I need your advice and opinions!!!:jaw:

I just called my regular doctor yesterday to talk with her about me considering having the lapband surgery done. I trust her professional advice and opinions...however I do feel that she lacks experience with the band, considering the fact that she told me she NEVER has had a patient go through the procedure.

She told me that she feels that the RISKS of the surgery outweigh *no pun intended* the LONG-TERM weightloss experience from this surgery. She said that more than likely the stomach will just stretch to compensate and you will be right were you where before...

She also said that she would hate to see "someone so young" *I am 23* to go through this "drastic" procedure in order to try and lose weight...

What do you all think of that? Are there any LONG-TERM bandsters that can give me some inspiration??:)

OK, I know you were asking for long-term bandsters, which I am not. Actually, I'm not even banded yet. But I do have research up the wazoo! My view is that the sugery is serious but not drastic. I think it is far more serious to be morbidly obese. Also, my surgeon said there is NO data to support the 'stretched pouch' theory. The band will change as you lose weight. You may find you need fills as you lose, period.

Honestly, I', 30 and I wish I would've looked into this 5 years ago. It gets progressively harder for your skin to snap back and I just hope I can avoid plastic surgery.

Anyway, do your research, and decide what is best for you. I think for me, this is the best thing out there for safe slower weight loss. I think you PCP is just confusing bypass surgery - which IS really drastic!

I concur, I think your doc is mistaking the band with the bypass. This surgery is really not as drastic, although it is major surgery. And you do not stretch your pouch over time. That is a gastric bypass issue. I would think that your doctor would do some research before coming back to you with and answer, but since she didn't I would also wonder why she would not want you to get this problem with your weight fixed before it causes lifelong permanant damage and disease like arthritis and diabetes.

Veggestyle, I think your doctor was reacting out of ignorance of the band. She is thinking that you're considering RNY, which indeed has significant risks long term. The pouch-stretching she talks about doesn't happen in the same way with the band, and it's by no means a "drastic" procedure inappropriate for "someone so young." Is she aware that the band can be removed with virtually no ill consequences if there are problems? This is not the case with RNY.

My doctor was similarly concerned when I first broached the subject with her four years ago. Though I wasn't young I was healthy, and she felt I shouldn't take the risks inherent in bypass surgery. I agree! I told her about the lap-band and she's changed her thinking now, recommending it to other patients struggling with morbid obesity.

Give your doctor the patient handbook from Inamed. See if she still feels the same way.

I'm 24, and I had my band 'installed' 2 years ago. I've lost 65 lbs, which is kind of slow as the 'average' goes, but it definately seems to be gone for good. :)

Veggestyle.....Hi....I am not a long time bandster. I have only been banded since June 5th. I am 36 years old and wish i would have done this when i was 23. So far i have been very successful with the band....my surgery was a breeze. Had very minimal pain. Was up and walking up and down my street at the end of the day of my surgery. Yes, there are risk BUT there are bigger risk to being obese. Lapband is helping me to enjoy life again and not be such a hermit crab. 23 is young but i have read a web page about a 13 year old having lapband....go to www.obesitycontrolcenter.com and read the testimonies of some of these people...i believe there are two 13 year olds that had the surgery. Even though your doctor says that the risk are high....i believe that risk are even higher if you life a life of obesity. Any your young enough to be able to live a long and healthy life and enjoy it being thin.

I know many people that have lost hundreds of pounds from lapband. Lapband is a tool not a miracle and you will hear this from others....You have to work with the band or the band will not work for you. I have a friend that lost over 150 pounds on lapband and another that went from 200 to 113 in 8 months she is only 5'4 so 200 pounds on her was alot. Just do your research.....just remember you will the same amount of risk being obese...I am not a doctor but i new what was better for me. I have an awesome family doctor that said lapband would be a good option, especially since he knew i had failed at losing weight many many times. Hope some of this helps you to make your decision. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me. Like i said i am not a pro but i have also researched. Good Luck in your decision. :)

I agree with the other posters. This is not a drastic change and, if used properly, can be a very useful tool.

I've been banded for a little over 10 months and I've lost 88 pounds. As far as I am concerned, they are GONE FOR GOOD!!

Alexandra mentioned that you should bring the Inamed Patient Handbook to your PCP so that she is better educated. I think this is a great idea.

I've uploaded one to my server in the event you don't have one.

http://www.triciakutz.com/lbt/LBPatientBook.pdf

i haven't even bothered to talk to my pcp about it. she is very opinionated and would have discouraged the surgery. not alot of people or physicians know about or understand the band and how it works. i think they get it confused with the bypass surgery, as if it were the only weight loss surgery out there. continue to do your research. and you make the final decision about and for yourself. i wish i would have had the opportunity to have the band when i was 23 and shave off some years of the ridiculous weight loss struggle!

I also wanted to add that my PCP was not only aware and educated about the band but wholeheartedly supported my decision.

On the advice of an RN in the support group I recently attended, I contacted my PCP last week. Her nurse took the call. Since many of the employees have had the proceedure done and many of their patients, she was thrilled for me and very supportive. The call to my Dr. was to see if there were any tests she thought I needed before heading off to Mexico - making sure I'm healthy and ready for this surgery.

I really think its about education. If your PCP is "against" you having surgery it probably is because she doesn't understand. Don't let that alone sway your decision. Look at all the aspects and do what is right for you.

Veggestyle I am younger than you (19) and my PCP thinks the band is a good idea, infact she said my age was more of a reason to get it done. As said earlier your doctor must not be familar with the band bring in more reserch and if she is still not supportive change your PCP if the band is something you are really interested in.

I think she doesnt know what she's talking about.

Maybe things work differently there, but what on earth does your general practitioner have to do with your band anyway? What does it matter what she thinks? As I said, maybe its different but I just went to mine, asked for a referral to a surgeon (I knew who I wanted to see as I just went with someone a friend saw). As it happened the doctor I saw thought it was a good idea. But there wouldnt be a reason in the world to discuss my band with a general practitioner now, all my care comes from the surgeon. Its not like the gp has anything to do with my weight loss. In fact unless they happened to read right back through my file and see the copy of the referral letter and I guess a letter back from the surgeon, they wouldnt have any idea.

Wow! Thank you for all of the comments! I was feeling discouraged after speaking with her and you all have lifted my spirits so much...Thank you! :hippie:

Perhaps, I am misunderstanding something, but I think that I need my general doctor to send documents to the insurance company showing that I have been overweight for a extended amount of time. In my position, it seems to me that she is just a "paper-link" to the insurance company. I suppose that I did not have to actually call her and speak to her about it, but I did want to see what she thought. She wasn't unsupportive, per se, I think that she was ignorant to the lapband surgery.

Well, I am going to see my PCP today... I was not told specifically why she wants to see me so I am a bit nervous about that, but I hope it is a meaningful appt. since I have to drive over an hour to get there. I am going to bring the info. with me that I have on the lapband surgery. Wish me luck and thanx for your support!