Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Just Can't Eat Slow Enough!

I am still only able to eat 1/4-1/3 cup, I use a baby spoon. Put my spoon down between bites. But it only takes me about 5 min to finish my meal. We are not supposed to read or watch tv while eating and I live alone so no conversation to distract me.

Do i just sit here and twiddle my thumbs until it's time to take another bite. Now, I know if I eat too fast I miss the full signal, so I'm not talking about big bites or spoonful right after spoonful.

Am I worrying over nothing?

Oh yeah, I'm talking about mushy's.

Take your time....if you don't you will toss up your intake!! I am 4 months post op and I have never been one to eat slow, or toss my food...sadly if I eat too much too fast or something that doesn't agree here it comes...TMI I am sure.

I start with Protein and Fiber in my coffee every am, than my Vitamins, I take celery, and high protein as well as yogurt to snack on during the day at work. It is WORK just to eat....so I have two or three nibbles, and move on to something else. READ...or relax this is a transitional life change...YOU CAN DO IT!! Sometimes I am so frustrated in my decision but when I am cleaning out my closet it makes me smile!!!

I start mushies on tuesday (Cannot Wait), so my experience as of yet is little. But the point for eating so slowly from what I gather is mostly from a personal "fullness/satisfaction" from your meal stand point, and retaining that feeling until the next meal. If your content with your meals at this point and aren't found wanting, then I'm not sure what the big deal is?

I get frustrated too and I'm almost 11 weeks out. Eating in general is just uncomfortable because I just can't seem to slow it down slow enough. I think I may have to go back to soft foods and relearn.

That is the spirit it is all about learning what works for you!! Sometimes when we are out to dinner...I get so anxious I eat a few bites and want to go...why sit and look at the food!! Tune into your body...

After YEARS and YEARS of eating as fast as I could (a habit learned at work), I too am struggeling to learn to eat slowly. I have started counting my bites, in an effort to slow down. I know that after five to six bites, I start to approach full. I am five months out from surgery, and am still struggeling with the whole eating slow thing. Thanksgiving day was a riot. I cooked a HUGE meal for our family, and by the time I got it all on the table, and everything was passed, I was done eating! I ate my seven bites (I pushed it a little and didn't stop at five or six bites since it was a holiday) and everyone else was just cutting their meat and getting ready to start, and I was done! But normally, I try to eat slow and count my bites as I eat. Then I try to count the number of times I chew eat bite. And then I try to put my eating utensils down between bites and just relax. When there is someone else here for a meal (I too live alone most of the time), I make a list in advance of conversation topics, and force myself to discuss at least three or four of the topics in between bites. This whole business of eating slower can be a pain, but you sure don't waste much time sitting at the table! And I have to say, I have lost 92 pounds since June, and gone from a size 26/28 to a 10, so I wouldn't change it for anything! I am still about 25 pounds from goal, but if I NEVER lose another ounce, I am thrilled to death with my results! And I'll eat slow, count bites, chew well, whatever it takes to stay where I am now. I never want to go back to that fat girl who was stuffing her mouth with everything in site, and eating fast partly to cover up HOW much she was eating! Hang in there, Once viewed from the other side it is worth it all!

With mushies/purees, you won't necessarily notice right off if you eat too fast (at only 2 weeks out, you may not be getting the full signal yet). However, once you're on solid Proteins (like meats and cheese), make sure to chew VERY thoroughly and try to take your time if possible. Sometimes only one bite can be the difference between comfortably full and agonizingly uncomfortable!!

I chewed more and ate slower at first, but I'm back to eating quickly and not chewing 30 times. I can tell when I'm full and quit. It hasn't seemed to affect my weight loss or nutritional intake ( I had great labs at my 6 month appt. a few weeks ago). I am able to eat enough to stay full till my next meal.

If I am eating with others, I eat slower so I will not finish way ahead of them. Most of my family eats fast, so I don't have to slow down much.

Lynda