Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

considering Lap Banding have so many questions?

This is my first time on this sight and in fact the first time I have ever posted. i am considering having the lap band done in Mexico and I am concerned about getting filled. I live in New York and want to know If any one has had the surgery in Mexico and get thier fills in U.S. Also has anyone heard anything about Dr. Ortiz in Mexico? I am considering using him.

Thanks for the help, I am scared to death of this but want to make the change.

I am not banded yet...live in NJ. Why are you going to Mexico?? Al Roker's doc is in NY! I have read on other threads that fills are expensive if done by another doc. Dr Onopnchenko is doing mine in Atlantic City. There are plenty of Doc's here in NJ also.

I am going to mexico because my insurance does not cover the cost and it is 10,000 cheaper thier.

Lisa lots of people from this site have used Dr. Ortiz. You could try doing a search for him in the search bar above. I am not banded yet and plan to be banded in the US because my insurance will cover it. Good luck and welcome to the site!

I am going to mexico because my insurance does not cover the cost and it is 10,000 cheaper thier.

Oh, yikes that is awful!! I am very fortunate to have insurance that covers it...hopefully they will cover me specifically...my sis tells me she doesn't see why not, Lasik surgery is covered by my insurance...so why wouldn't this....i sure hope she is right. (actually they have covered everything else so far--all the pre-op testing!!)

Lots of people use Dr. Ortiz, sounds like you'd be in good hands with him!

Best wishes!

Thanks Bettina,

The more I look into Dr. Ortiz, the more I feel good. So far I have heard only good concerning him. If there is anyone who has heard differently please let me know.

Hope all goes well with you...all the best to you,

God Bless,

Lisa

mexico is fine for surgery, and certainly a lot cheaper. just make sure you do a ton of research before hand. I personally used Dr. Sanchez in Monterrey Mexico. It was the best surgical exp I have ever had. As for fills, you need to make sure you line up a fill doctor before you get banded. That way you have a place to turn to. Fill Center USA is oneoption, or you can call around to the surgeons in your areaand they can tell you how much it will be to go to them for your fills. Check out the fill forum, and the ny forum. They might have more answers for you. Welcome to LBT! Good luck on your journey!

It is concerning that your first post was July 23 and you were considering lapband. Then a few days later, you have a date for Aug 2??? I just want to caution newbies and everyone that you REALLY need to do some research. The band is not for everyone. You need to make your decisions based on a lot of information. Their is a ton of information out there and a ton of options. Just because insurance won't pay does not mean you must go to Mexico. There are doctors here in the states that do surgeries for cash pay patients at a very discounted rate. You don't have to stay in the east coast, you can go to another state as well. And there are many weight loss surgery options. And you need to be aware that the band is a longterm option not a lifelong option and may require additional surgeries and additional costs.

I am not steering anyone to or away from the band, I am merely playing devils advocate and promoting education and awareness of ALL options. Each person is different and each person may have a better suited choice.

The weight isn't going anywhere. Take some more time and really make sure this is what you want. What is a few months in the grand scheme of things?

If I have offended anyone, well... too bad, it needed to be said. Those of you that are used to me, then at least it is what you expected. :)

Give Dr. Rodolfo Sanchez a look. He's done the most (6600) right Amy, and told us that for a fact. He was wonderful, best surgical experince in my life and I've had several. He's 8500.00 and alma, Janet, Judy, Marlene, Evette they are all fabulous. I have tons on info if you want it. Amy and I went the same day and absolutely no problems.

I hear Dr. Ortiz is great too, I just don't know him but I know tons like him too. The fills with Dr. Sanchez are free for life as well but I'm getting mine done here and they are no higher for me than if he had done my surgery. I too was self pay, didn't want to jump the my insurance hoops, BCBS and was a bit impatient as well.

Been banded 2 weeks and lost about 21 pounds although I was up one yesterday but I think it's time for Aunt Flo. Good luck on your decision and I'll be glad to PM you names, addresses, phone numbers, I even have lots of pictures as well if you want them. I don't work for him either. LOL

Just had a wonderful experience with him.