Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going Back To Square One!

I am thinking about going back to square one so i can lose again. i have been at a "stall" which you would say but i would call it "done deal" since March of this year! I am frustrated and I get no help from the dr office or dietician. Maybe go back to Protein shakes-like the ones that are 60g serving and go back on liquids again. I really hate to do that but I can't keep doin what i am doin! not working! i have only lost 30 lbs since sleeve last year-actually tomorrow the 22nd is my one year sleeve anniversary. My husband had it and he has lost almost 90 lbs since Feb this year and he eats whatever he wants-when he wants..does no cardio-just push ups and weights..any suggestions folks? this is becoming a very very sensitive subject with me. i am eating 2 salads everyday with NO dressing and i am over it..let me hear from you if you have ever went thru this. i have switched things around,, increased exercise, don't know where to go here....help if u can!

It is hard to offer suggestions without knowing more of what you are eating, how many calories you are getting, etc. Is it possible that you are not eating enough calories and/or Protein a day? I think many of us have hit stalls... I know I had my worst month yet & actually gained back a couple pounds. I decided to 'reset' myself & am doing the 2 week, all Protein shake my doctor put me on prior to surgery. I'm hoping this will help to kick-start the weight loss again & break my carb addiction. If your nutritionist isn't helping, I would consider finding a new one. They work for you & should be offering suggestions!

Krista

It would be very helpful to let us know what you are eating? If it is just two salads, with no dressing, I would say Eat up girl! How many calories? How much Protein? exercise? Carbs? Water? I would have bust a gut staying the same so long! Get thee to a nutritionist!

how much do you weigh? Want to lose?

Try tracking your calories, carbs, and Protein. Make sure you are not taking in too many or too few calories. You may need to low carb it. That is what I am doing right now due to some very slow weight loss lately. Don't give up. We are here to help you!

First, EVERYONE is different. Especially men vs. women. So comparing to your husband is asking for frustration.

That said, no, I wouldn't consider 30 pounds in a year a great success. I'm not trying to be harsh! It's awesome that you've lost 30 pounds but obviously you didn't remove most of your stomach for a smaller result.

Yes, LOG YOUR food. Do it. If you don't you slip into denial about what you're really eating. Track everything - even a single jelly bean should go into your food log. If you don't do this, you have no idea how many calories, carbs, etc. you're eating.

Get your metabolism tested if possible. If not, simply adjust your calories downward from 1200 until you start losing and hang there until you need to adjust again. I was told over and over again that my basal metabolic rate was close to 2000 calories and that on a 1200 calorie diet I'd lose two pounds a week.

In reality, after testing we discovered that I have a highly efficient metabolism (curses!) and my BMR is actually less than 1400 calories a day. That means that on a 1200 calorie diet, I can reasonably expect to lose just over a pound a month.

So, if you can get tested with the breathing test, DO IT. If not, just track calories for a few days and then fix what's wrong.

Not everyone carb counts but I suggest that if you're not active you keep them on the lower side. There are dozens for free sites that allow you to track your food. So do it. Honestly. There is no better thing you can do to control you intake.

I'm not an exerciser and firmly believe that while exercise is good for your body and can reshape it, that it doesn't always help us lose weight. But being more active is always a good thing so please try to work more activity into your daily routine. Even simple things like taking the stairs, parking farther away and enjoy a walk will help you feel better mentally and physically. If you want exercise to help you lose weight you have to really bring it - you can't fool around with a 20 minute walk every day and expect it to do much.

If all else fails, do the pouch test. Reassure yourself that your sleeve is still working, break the bad cravings and jump on board.

Only you can do this. You need to evaluate why you're not losing and what's going on in your head. If you "reset" and still can't lose, get a barium swallow to reassure yourself that your sleeve is still there and in good shape. But honestly, in almost all cases it comes down to us not doing the head work and having to accept that we need to change to lose weight. I've had to reset a number of times myself, so I understand this.

Take care and I wish you the best!

~Cheri

I don't know for sure what the right answer is but my dr and nutritionist stress Protein. 20-25g per meal and a 30g shake every day. 3 bites of protein to1 bite of anything else. Depending what's in your salad you probably aren't getting enough protein or calories everyday. Cause if you don't consume enough calories your body will store everything you eat because it thinks you are starving it.