Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often are fills needed?

I am pre-banded, consut on 8/12/03 with Dr Geiss. I was wondering on average how often do you need to get a fill? I know that everyone is different, but was curious about how often I could expect to need one.

Thanks....

:cry

Originally posted by Holly

I know that everyone is different

Thanks....

:cry

You just answered your question right here! Really, everyone is different, so everyone's banded journey is different. Fills seem to be such finicky things that it's hard to even give a general idea. For instance, some need fills once a month until they hit their sweet spot, some never need a fill, some only need one fill, and so on. I really wish I had a better answer for you!

My story is that I needed 6 fills over a 7 month period to get to a good level of restriction. It is good to get fills once a month until you get properly restricted. If you are not properly restricted, most people have trouble losing weight. I know I did! If your fills are going to cost you a bit of $$$, you might want to budget for the worst!

Hey Mary,

Can you tell us the amount of each fill you got in that time period? I know some doc's like to do a little at a time but with me paying $350 a fill ... and at 6 fills ... that would be $2,100.00. And I'd rather pay that on my loan that I got to get my band in the first place. Just curious of the incerments.

Thanks!

Lori in Oregon

Dr. Rumbaut 07/09/03

Thank you all for the information. It has been helpful. I willalso check with my doctor to see what he usually does. At this point I just want to get the pre tests done so I can get a date!

Tahnsk again!

To Lori in Oregon:

My first two fills were 1 cc each, then the next two fills were .5 cc, then .7 cc, then my 5th fill put me at 3 cc's, then my 6th fill put me at 3.5 cc's, where I finally got good restriction. If you add it up, it would seem I had 3.2 cc's by fill #5, but I didn't, I had something like 2.8 cc's when the doctor removed all the fill at the 5th fill session before he filled me with 3 cc's. For some reason, the fill amounts don't add up, I don't know why exactly, but I have heard this and it was my experience also, something about air being in the band.

I would say by far, most people do not need as many fills as I did to get good restriction. From what I have heard, and people I know, most seem to get tight enough by or before 3 fills. The wise, experienced Bandsters say it is best to "sneak up" to the right restriction and do it gradually. This is probably good advice, but everyone is very different in their stomach size, amount of fat on the stomach, etc., so it is hard to say how much you would need. Also, doctors vary in their fill policies. Some customize the fills to how much they think you need, others give set amounts, on a schedule, some allow you to come back in a few days to get more fill if you don't feel any difference under the same price.

Mary in Sacramento