Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I so hard on myself?

Hey all,

So when I got the band on July 8th, I made the commitment that I wouldn't get obsessed about the number on the scale. That I would do everything I could and how ever much the number went down each week...I would be okay with it. So I weighed today...2 weeks post op and I've lost 9 lbs. But I was kind of dissappointed thinking...holy cow I've lived on liquids for 2 weeks and that's it? I actually laid down on the bed and had a huge cry and I don't know why. 4.5lbs a week should be great to me...but I feel like I have to lose this weight...and the 10,000 dollars can't have been wasted. Gosh I guess I'm just having a hard day or something...I'm just terrified....what if I fail? I don't really feel any restriction and I know it's because the liquids are just passing through. Is it normal that I can eat about 1 and a half cups of Soup and not really feel terribly full?

Okay...thanks for letting me have my moment.

I have read numerous posts from bandsters who retained Water and excess weight from the surgery for a few weeks afterwards. Your weight loss might take off when you go to mushies and solids...especially if you add exercise to your regimen.

Hiya Time2Live...

no worries, my friend. Your emotions are just completely out of whack...so virtually ANYTHING (even if illogical) is going to set you off into highs and lows....mostly lows right now. Hence your unexpected cry....you'll have more too! But don't fret about it...just know that you can chalk it up to the anesthetic. For most people, the residual effects of it include "sadness" and unpredicatable emotions (usually on the down side) for a few weeks. This happened to me and many others on here and my doc told me that it was a recognized side effect. Knowing that actually helped me a lot when all of a sudden, for seemingly no reason...or a mild reason I would get all sad and have a big cry (not something I normally did or am normally like!). After about 6 weeks it stopped.

:)

Hey all,

So when I got the band on July 8th, I made the commitment that I wouldn't get obsessed about the number on the scale. That I would do everything I could and how ever much the number went down each week...I would be okay with it. So I weighed today...2 weeks post op and I've lost 9 lbs. But I was kind of dissappointed thinking...holy cow I've lived on liquids for 2 weeks and that's it? I actually laid down on the bed and had a huge cry and I don't know why. 4.5lbs a week should be great to me...but I feel like I have to lose this weight...and the 10,000 dollars can't have been wasted. Gosh I guess I'm just having a hard day or something...I'm just terrified....what if I fail? I don't really feel any restriction and I know it's because the liquids are just passing through. Is it normal that I can eat about 1 and a half cups of Soup and not really feel terribly full?

Okay...thanks for letting me have my moment.

Most people lose a ton of Water weight on the pre-op diet. It's not natural to continue that rate of weight loss. After banding, you lose the fluids from the surgery and, by the second week, start losing fat. This trend continues for most people at the rate of 1-2 pounds a week. You're right on track and won't feel restriction until you have a fill or 2-3.

Toss the scale in the closet and weight once a week at most. You're doing fine and did not "waste" your money.

Hiya Time2Live...

no worries, my friend. Your emotions are just completely out of whack...so virtually ANYTHING (even if illogical) is going to set you off into highs and lows....mostly lows right now. Hence your unexpected cry....you'll have more too! But don't fret about it...just know that you can chalk it up to the anesthetic. For most people, the residual effects of it include "sadness" and unpredicatable emotions (usually on the down side) for a few weeks. This happened to me and many others on here and my doc told me that it was a recognized side effect. Knowing that actually helped me a lot when all of a sudden, for seemingly no reason...or a mild reason I would get all sad and have a big cry (not something I normally did or am normally like!). After about 6 weeks it stopped.

:rolleyes:

This is EXACTLY what happened to me too except I felt better after about 2 weeks. (But, I had already had anethesia once before so maybe it left my system sooner??) Any way, I was really freaked out thinking the same thing..."I'm messing this up." "It's not going to work for me." "I made a mistake." and then I'd just start crying. I was about a day away from calling the pshyc doctor that I had to see pre-op then one day I woke up and felt better. It was the strangest thing. If it doesn't "clear up" then I'd talk to your doc and see if you need to see someone because I've been told that post-op wls patients can see emotional issues that they didn't know existed suddenly pop up...and there's nothing wrong with that. So, for now try to hang in there but don't hesitate to get help if you need it.

By the way...9 lbs in two weeks is awesome. The whole liquid thing didn't do a darn thing to me so you're exceeding what I'd say is the "norm". liquid diets are hard on your body, that's why we don't do them regularly. The purpose was to prep your liver for surgery and my doc didn't expect any real weight loss to begin until after you make the transition back to regular food. You're cool...so just hang in there!!

Hiya Time2Live...

:rolleyes:

Time2live,

You are gonna be just fine....just like everyone said...its post surgery-blues. You could have had a different type of anesthesia for this surgery than what you had in the past...you know the FDA always bringing out new and "improved" stuff! You're doing awesome with your weight loss!! My doc told me that lap bandsters only lose 1-2 lbs a week so no worries if it seems slow -its normal.

Take care!

I went thru the same exact thing in the beginning...I lost quite a bit of weight in the last couple weeks then it stopped for about 3 weeks without a pound gone...My dr explained to me that your body is going thru a "starvation period" where it thinks its starving so it stores everything that it can...When your able to add a little bit more food and your body figures out what its suppose to be doing it will start coming off again...I just went thru it all, and I know that its totally depressing...Chin up, it will happen!!

9 LBS in two weeks is awsome!!! Look at it like this, if you did that for 20 weeks you would be close to 100lbs.. When you look at the BIG picture its amazing!!! Although that is not a healthy loss long term, its wonderful short term. good job!!!

Just so you know, your feelingare not unuausl. Many people experience post surgical (post-op) depression. You aren't being hard on yourself. Here's an article which I found for you....

Depression after Surgery

Depression and/or anxiety are often experienced after surgical procedures, at various times post operatively (immediately or months later). Intensity can range from mild dysphoria to major depressive symptoms. John Lauerman in the January 2000 issue of Harvard Magazine, addresses this topic in "An Understandable Complication...Coming to terms with postsurgical depression." The article talks about emotions before surgery as being expected and often handled quite well. Problems can also crop up in the recovery period which are not expected. After major surgery, according to the article, feelings of mortality, of loss, and of vulnerability can be profound." Shortly after surgery, depression can be attributed to pain, a problem with anesthesia, a sense of loss or another underlying cause. Post-operative depression, well after the crisis of surgery, can make it difficult for patients to cope with what they have endured. There might also be uncertainty about the future, or lack of understanding on the part of individuals close to them. This article points out the importance of communicating feelings of depression to medical professionals who may not be alert to symptoms, in order to have all possible causes of depression investigated.

I hope this helps you.

Just remember, we didn't get fat overnight and we aren't going to get thin in a week, either.......Nine pounds is a great start, and you are on track. If you lose too quickly, it is hard on your body and organs. Slow and steady is the best way to go. Don't get discouraged. Start walking and stay focused. You have lots of people rooting for you!!!

CHarlotte

Hon, you've been given some great advice. Please don't be so hard on yourself.

The band works for most people, so your chances of it not working are very, very remote. Courage dear-heart! Just so you know, in a couple of days or so, you might start having a freak-out moment where you will start to wonder just what the hell you did to yourself. (it usually happens with in the first couple of weeks). Sort of "AHHHHHH! WHAT THE HELL DID I DO TO MYSELF!!!!???!!!!" :rolleyes:

You will get through this.(((hugs)))

shoot girl I would kill for 9 pounds LOL I have only lost 2 since surgery on the 10th. It is frustrating. But I am wearing a shirt today that did not fit when I bought it. And it looks awesome on me now. And I wore one last night like that too. Don't worry, step away from the scale, and relax some. just focus on healing and going through the food stages. Then you can focus on your weight after your first fill.

Thanks all so much for the encouragement. I've had a few blue moments here and there but I'm feeling much better overall. I'm just not going to obsess about the scale.

Vines I poured through your journal and just want you to know....so much of what you say is so inspiring to me. How you choose to live your life through all its challenges....just really makes me want to strive to be more.

Anyways...enough babbling....I'm off to eat something...lol.

I lost 10 lbs. on my post-op diet and thought I would drop a huge amount afterward. I haven't lost what I thought I should, but the nurse had told me that the IV fluids would prevent the weight loss, and to just roll with it. I bet one of these days you just wake up and poof some of that weight is gone. Good luck to you.

Dody says: I bet one of these days you just wake up and poof some of that weight is gone.

Do you think there's hope I might wake up tomorrow and be 135 pounds??? If only........................

Dody says: I bet one of these days you just wake up and poof some of that weight is gone.

Do you think there's hope I might wake up tomorrow and be 135 pounds??? If only........................

Hey if that happens can I come over and borrow your bed for a night?? Ha Ha!