Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:O Red chunks in stool while on "clears"?

I just started my pre-operative "clears", which consists of cherry sugar free Jell-O, chicken broth, and laxatives.< /p>

I am a bit concerned by the red chunks I saw after my laxative started to work. I am hoping this alarming color is likely from the red Jell-O, so before I panic- did anyone else experience this alarming affect?

I know it's a bit of a gross question, but I do not want to worry and, after all, we are all here talking about a medical procedure affecting digestion so I figured a "poo question" wasn't too out of the ordinary.

Hi Sirensiren this is definitely abnormal and id like to say it could potentially be from the Jello but once you digest Jello it just turn into a liquid form and not in the original solid form. I wouldnt worry to much but in the meantime id still contact my primary physician. You always want to be sure to get a physician response on issues like this espcially just to ease the worry.

Good Luck and Take Care!

siren - speaking as a nurse - you are probably just seeing the food coloring of cherry Jello -

Clear liquids are what you should be taking in -

NO colored stuff - ESPECIALLY RED colored liquids - it can make visualizing blood in your stomach and intestines hard to spot -

at least this is what i was told by a gastroenterologist when i scheduled surgeries - and when i had a scope procedure i also had to take Clear Liquids and was expressly forbidden RED COLORED items -

on the other hand i was allowed yellow jellos, lemonades, and popsicles - :smile1: stop the RED STUFF and start drinking some clear sodas like sprite - the carbonation can help clear the red off the membranes -

regardless all this - you DO need to call your doctors nurse thats on call and report the situation - but im sure this is the reason your seeing red and wouldn't worry about it - just get the OK for the clear soda as it contains alot of sodium -

siren you're gonna do GREAT!! and im so happy for u in your WLS and the beginning of a new healthier you! :biggrin2:

Thanks Fatticus Ratticus- I love your name (and fat rats! LOL)

It seems to be just the combo of the red dye and the fact that I've been told to take laxatives. I've called up my surgeons assistant ad left a message, so hopefully I'll fid out soon. I am perhaps panicking a bit- it stands to reason that if I just ate a giant bowl of cherry Jell-O, that the red dye would need to make it's way out somehow. What appeared to be a "chunk" (sorry. I know, gross!) is an undigested Gelatin capsule full of Fiber, not some vital organ falling apart in side of me :)

Jell-O of all flavors is on my "OK" list, but for my own peace of mind, I'm going to stick to my clear broth instead. Jell-O seemed to be a good option to feel like I'm chewing on something, but I'd rather tough it out than worry about red dye coloring my stools.

I am so excited to be sleeved! I am already seeing my face get a little thinner from the pre-operative diet, and that's encouraging for the months to come!

LOLOL!! * its not a vital organ falling apart *

that was FUNNY siren!! and thanks for the vote up on blue dumbo fatty ratties - he's a pet of a friend of mine and i couldnt RESIST making him my profile pic - WHICH - btw - i only put up after seeing YOURS of that cute chubby puppy dog!! :D - so YOU totally inspired me because I love chubby puppies!! LOL!!

and u inspire me with your determination on your WLS - your enthusiasm is totally infectious!

YOU GO!!

and im truly excited for u! lemme know how it all goes - ok? ok!! :D

heres all wonderful wishes your way!! :D

Thank you! :) I'm quite excited, I thought I'd be more nervous but I have (cautious) faith in my surgeon.

I love all animals, I have a fat little pug and 2 cats. :)

I am excited, and enjoying blue gatorade instead of Jell-O (I actually detest jell-O and the idea of it being random animal cartilage grosses me out to be honest).

When/where was your surgery? I would imagine as a nurse you made a very informed decision, but I'm sure it was a tough one for you regardless.