Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poof! It's gone!!

I was banded on April 18th with a VG band in Mexico. My starting weight was 227.5 lbs. My doc put the VG band in because I carry the majority of my weight in my abdomen and as a result, my internal organs are packed in fat. I got a 2.8cc fill on June 12th in Mexico. No restriction noted. I got my 2nd fill July 10th in Texas and the doc said he could only pull back 0.5cc. He gave me a 2.5cc fill under fluro. When I asked my doc in Mexico what could have happened to my first fill I was told it had dissipated possibly due to air being in my band. The first 4 days after the second fill I had restriction and now I'm back to eating whatever I want and I'm trying to follow the "rules". I was so worried, I e-mailed my doc in Mexico asking if my band could possibly be leaking! I was reassured it most likely was not... but I don't understand this. My sister who was banded at the same time with a 10 cc band has almost too much restriction after her 1st fill. I mean, the girl can eat 4 tater tots and she's stuffed like she ate a Thanksgiving dinner! I'm discouaraged with my weight yo-yoing so much. I am so anxious to see these pounds drop! I'd lost down to 204lbs at one point after the liquid phase of the post-op diet, went up to 215lbs (which was my pre-surgery weight) ... down to 207lbs and now I'm back up to 211lbs. I don't know what else to do other than schedule another fill. What recommendations do you all have?

I was told that with the VG band it has little sections in the inside which makes it difficult to withdraw all the saline that is put in it. The saline gets trapped in those sections. The doctor showed me the band and the sections. Don't know if what he told me is true, but I mention it to you for what its worth. I didn't get that band so I don't have experience to share with you.

You might go for another slight fill to see if you get restriction. Good luck.

Thanks for the info... although I haven't been able to find out much about the VG band (even went to the Inamed website) I can see from the pictures that it is segmented and that makes perfect sense. I am frustrated tho because I want to loose this weight. I'm realizing that having surgery is only 1/2 the battle.. getting the fill just right is the harder part.

Don't lose hope, Chelley. You're right. One of the drawbacks of the VG band is that it does sometimes take longer to get to a restricted level. This due to the bands larger capacity. It will be helpful if whoever is doing your fills is doing them under flouro so they can 'SEE' how much liquid is going through. Either way, do not lose hope. You WILL get there!!

I really have the same pattern. I must swell after fills, I come home from each fill and within a day or two I'm thinking "this is the one" and I lose a kilogram or two within that first week. After that, the restriction reduces very significantly and I can eat virtually normally (with restriction on certain items and pain on eating too fast) for the rest of the month and dont lose anymore. So the last four months has been one to two kilograms a month off and thats it.

In between I feel I have ever so slightly more restriction than I had last month so I am inching v-e-r-y slowly towards perfect restriction.

My surgeon says one to two kilograms a month is great, very healthy weight loss, but its frustratingly slow, I'm so close to goal weight and it'll take over a year to get there at this point. I dont want to lose 8kg in a month, just perhaps 3 per month!

I think though that despite naturally getting impatient its important to just inch your way there gradually, you will get there eventually.

Thank you for your support... It's so nice to know I'm not alone in my frustration. I scheduled another fill for tomorrow. I am back to my pre-op weight of 215lbs today and just disgusted with myself because the more I worry about this band and my weight, the more I want to eat to comfort myself. I did talk to a colleage of mine and she told me it took 3 fills and 2 unfills before she got good restriction and didn't start loosing weight until 4 months after being banded. I'm trying to hold on to some hope and I know it works because my sister who was banded at the same time I was has lost 40lbs! She has the 10cc band and got restriction on her first fill... lucky gal!

I got a 2.4cc fill today, just two weeks after a 2.5cc fill. The barium passed through the banded area lickity-split like there wasn't anything there when two weeks previously I'd seen it curl backwards as it hit the banded area. The radiologist couldn't offer an explaination... he just fills them. I'm worried about loosing restriction... but hopeful this fill will do the trick.

I posted a question about my fills under lap band complications and two lap band surgeons have answered my questions to my satisfaction. Apparently, the VG band must be primed and my first fills went into priming my band. According to both doctors, it sometimes takes 3 cc or so to prime the VG band. I do have restriction today and I am optomistic that once the swelling subsides and I start regular foods again in a few days that the restriction remains and I'll be on the road to meeting my weight loss goals.