Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My sister had a gastric bypass a couple of years ago, and unfortunately, has gained about 75% of her weight back. I've told her a lot about the sleeve and she asked me if it's possible to get a revision from Bypass to Sleeve. I had no idea. Anyone know? Thanks!

There is a good basic article on the subject over on OH:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/gastric-bypass-revision-surgery.html

While it seems that the more common revision is to the duodenal switch, the article says that revising to the VSG can also be done. The DS generally has better regain resistance than the RNY or VSG, so that seems to be the more common revision, but this can be an even more individual issue than choosing the original WLS. The article goes into some of the considerations in revising including analyzing why the original surgery failed and determining the appropriate response - behavior mod, reworking the original procedure or revising to another.

Another good article is this one:

http://www.dssurgery.com/about/publications/duodenal-switch-safe-operation.pdf

Revising an RNY is a complicated procedure that relatively few surgeons are qualified to do (or that one would trust to do,) so travelling is often involved. Is your sister near you in NJ? Dr. Roslin in NY is one, Rabkin and Keshisian in Calif are also well qualified. Posting to the revision board and DS board on ObesityHelp will get you some more help on this issue (even if the desired or appropriate revision is to a VSG, the folks on the DS board there tend to be very protective of their procedure and picky about surgeons' qualifications, so they can steer you to the best revision surgeons who can help guide your sister to the best answer for her.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches