Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 organs you can live without

I found this on another website and felt it not only interesting but it really eased my mind. It amazes me what this little girl was able to endure and survive. I know it's crazy to compare but if I get to keep all my organs but lose a portion of my stomach for weightloss, I'm not near as concerned as I was before.

How Vital Are Your Organs?

Could you live without a small and large intestine, stomach, liver, spleen, and pancreas?

By Howard LeWine, M.D., Harvard Health Publications

Q: I just read about a girl who had six organs in her belly surgically removed during a cancer operation. Could she have survived if doctors were unable to put her organs back in, or to transplant another person's organs into her body?

A: According to news reports, the young girl's small and large intestine, stomach, liver, spleen, and pancreas were removed as part of a 23-hour cancer surgery. The surgeons replaced her liver and small and large intestines. Her spleen, pancreas, and stomach could not be saved. What if none of the six organs could have been replaced—and transplanting another person's organs wasn't a possibility?

Of the six, the only organ that is an absolute for survival is the liver. She couldn't have survived if her entire liver was removed, unless she received a liver transplant. But healthy liver tissue has impressive regenerative abilities, so if a little of her liver was healthy and could have been left in, she could have survived. Of the other organs, the absence of a spleen and a stomach pose the fewest problems.

The spleen acts as a filter to remove red and white blood cells that are old or damaged. It also helps us fight infections. But it is not an essential organ. Thousands of people walk around without a spleen, usually because they required emergency surgery when the spleen ruptured after a trauma.

As part of the immune system, the spleen acts to boost antibody production when a person gets a vaccine or acquires an infection. Antibodies are molecules that block bacteria and viruses from entering healthy cells. The immune system can work without a spleen, but not as efficiently. In non-emergent situations, doctors give patients who need their spleens removed a host of immunizations. With these immunizations, the body will likely be able to produce normal amounts of antibodies.

As the surgeons did in this case, a pouch to hold food can be created to substitute for a stomach. If the small intestine had not been put back in, she would not have been able to eat or drink. So there would be no reason to create the "false stomach."

Normal adults have about 20 feet of small intestine. To absorb sufficient calories and nutrients, at least 5 feet of small intestine would need to be saved. If less than that is able to be saved, a person would only be able to survive with intravenous feedings.

Moving down to the large intestine, the main function of this organ is to reabsorb Water that is mixed with food. It's not essential for survival. For example, the only option for some people with severe ulcerative colitis is surgery to remove the entire colon.

Many people today live without a functioning pancreas; however, it's a huge challenge. The pancreas produces digestive enzymes and hormones, including insulin. This young girl will always need insulin injections to keep her blood sugars in control.

Also, since she won't be making the digestive enzymes that break down food products in the intestines, her diet will need to be adjusted. She will probably only be able to eat simple sugars and Proteins, and just the essential fats. She will also take pills containing digestive enzymes, which will surely help.

Howard LeWine, M.D. is a clinical instructor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and practicing internist with Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates and Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts. He serves as Chief Medical Editor of Internet Publishing at Harvard Health Publications.

I just felt it might interest those who are nervous about losing a portion of their stomach where this child lost several of her organs and still able to survive. It's a wonderful example of modern technology. It really helped me to put the whole "loss of my stomach" into perspective. I was thinking it was such a major surgery and so risky and dangerous but I think I've been worrying for nothing. I know the sleeve is an invasive procedure but I feel more confident that it's safe after reading articles like this.

Very moving article! I am always amazed at the human body's ability to adapt, regenerate, and heal. I hope this little girl pulls through and has a great life! She must have gone through so much! It reminds me how fortunate I am to have a chance a healthy life and not to take it for granted!!!!

Wow, that is really interesting. That sounds like a huge amount of truama for a little girl. :broken_heart: But I hope she continues to survive and thrive.

Thanks for posting this. I am continually amazed at the things our bodies can do without, compensate for loss of, and generally heal. I had my gallbladder taken out almost 13 years ago and recovered perfectly without a single issue. It was something that helped me be not so scared of losing 85% of my stomach, seeing it first hand. And now since having been sleeved almost a year I am still amazed at how our bodies can function without certain organs, etc. The sleeve has been such a blessing for me!