Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated that the Sleeve is "just another diet"

Yep -- frustrated.

I eat less than HALF what I used to eat. I don't snack on junk. I'm very careful not to over eat.

Typical day:

Breakfast: 1 egg or one egg muffin (low carb, just egg, cheese, & Jimmy Dean mild organic sausage)

Snack: 1/2 Atkins Peanut Butter bar (20 grams protein)

Lunch: Usually a salad with some kind of grilled meat (buy the fajita meat bags), AND usually split with coworker

Snack: other 1/2 of Atkins bar

Dinner: Grilled meat & one veggie

On weekends I occasionally add a high Protein Shake if I am hungry or bored or just having a crave attack.

No sugar.

No starches.

Not much dairy

Only good fats (coconut oil, olive oil, etc)

I am SO TIRED OF COUNTING AND WEIGHING AND MEASURING AND WATCHING AND AND AND AND... I don't WANT to stay on the "diet" merry-go-round.

I thought the sleeve would curve the appetite.... sometimes yes, but most times no.

I only had about 75 lbs total I wanted to lose. Just don't think it is going to happen.

I am frustrated because I spend $5,000 on a surgery -- FOLLOWED by another $3,000 - $4,000 in followup from an infected drain tube and hospital stay and I.V. antibiotics through a Picc line.

I am frustrated because it is the same old story -- no matter how much I do or do not eat my body is what it is. It is not cooperating.

AND I know people will say "You need to..." And I KNOW "I need to..." But I am so tired of it all.

I've been so sick with infection and now that I am over it I thought "now" it would happen. But it isn't.

I read all of the success stories and I think to myself, "It works for everyone but me" -- thought that my entire life.

I lost 30 right out of the gate. Gained back 5 while I was in the hospital... and now.... nothing. I am battling the same 2 pounds, up and down, up and down.

Was it worth it? I can't say it was at this point.

Will it begin to change? I hope, but not certain.

Depression is hanging in the air - and I feel hopeless.

Is it because I am over 50? It only works for young people??

I mean, seriously.

I am NOT eating sugar, or junk, or crap, or over stuffing myself. I was anemic, according to my doctor, so I am taking a mild, slow -release Iron supplement. I take a Multi-Vitamin daily and extra D3. I've been walking 2-3 times a week.

I drink between 32 - 40 oz of Water a day.

DOING ALL THE RIGHT THINGS ... even have a fitday account, an app on my phone to chart the progress. I have the recipes. I shop with a list. BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA

THIS SUCKS OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry -- just had to vent)

Well I can only help so here it goes!! Try upping your Water intake to 64 ounces. The akins bars you have for Snacks are loaded with carbs..try to cut them out all together. If you like yogurt buy some carbmasters from kroger and replace the snack bars with yogurt one yogurt has only 4 grams of carbs and you are probably getting around 25 carbs for the Atkins bars. You have to mix the food up try just eating chicken breast for a week with greenbeans for a week. I think you are getting too many carbs. I realize how much your struggling and I know it really does suck. You have to always remember why you did this and try to stay positive no matter what. I have been out of sugery for 9 months and I can tell you that I struggle every once in a while. Sometimes its ok to have bad day ( we just have to live on the hope the next day will be brighter and it usually is). Also the less you weigh the longer it takes. When was your sugery??

I am 56 and it's working for me. I know that's not what you want to hear, but there it is.

Have you consulted with your surgeon and NUT? Have you had your thyroid levels tested?

Sometimes it does feel like I'm spending a lot of time counting and measuring but I tell myself that it's temporary until I'm at goal. By then, I should have learned new habits and I should be able to eat small portions like a skinny person. I, too, have been battling the same 1.5 lbs for the past two weeks, but I am sticking to my plan and eventually the number on the scale will change downward.

Don't give up!

Is it possible you're just in a stall? How long have you been bouncing around within the same 2 pound range? I've heard of stalls of over a month.

I had surgery the same time as you (6/29), have about the same amount to lose as you post-op, and I've lost 34 pounds post-op, so I'm pretty much where you are, only mine's been slow but steady. If you quickly dropped 30, then had seroius medical issues, your body may just be in defensive mode, figuring out what the heck is going on.

I hear and understand your frustration (yes, all the tracking is a LOT of work), but don't give up yet! Whip out your before photos (and before measurements if you have them), and take a moment to Celebrate how far you've come in 3 short months. The scale will begin to cooperate again!

Hang in there.... (And vent here any time! Lots of sympathetic ears here!)

Well so far I like what I hear. You have given me some hope.

When I log everything in to fitday I am getting between 30-50 carbs per day. 20 carbs is induction level, so I don't think it is too many carbs. UNLES I friggin' have to cut them down to "zero" -- which means that the sleeve is just another diet. Dang it. lol. I do alternate with plain greek yogurt sometimes. The Atkins Bars are for the Protein. I ONLY use the ones with 20 grams... period.

But seriously, Escape-Pod might have it right. My body is still fighting and recovering from the hospital stay, and over a month of antibiotics. Now I feel like I have a bladder infection starting up because of the yeast imbalance. DANG IT> LOL.

AND it is SO HARD to up my Water during the day because of working in an office and having to answer the phones. (GEE don't I have an excuse for everything??!!?)

Weight loss is VERY scary. You place so much hope in the procedure and then there is panic when it just doesn't seem to be working.

I keep thinking, "Any day now... any day now..." AND then get frustrated and say, "To heck with it all..." Then waffle back. sigh.

I will tell you this -- part of my history -- seems like everytime I get totally frustrated and pitch a huge fit I have a loss. I have to get all worked up and whine and grip and pitch a fit and my body says, "Oh okay... we will throw you a bone. Here's a loss." ARGH!

Well... off to the gym. Gonna go vent on a treadmill.

I feel your frustration, it is very frustrating when you do something so drastic and then it takes forever. I am out now 21 months and at 1 year out, i hit a stall that stayed for 7 MONTHS (yup you heard right) . . .then i lost about 10 more pounds and now nothing! I hit my doctors goal for me to weigh 212 lbs but my personal goal was never reached 170 lbs. . . and no matter what i do/did, the body won't move. . . it's like i have hit a spot in my weight that the body is comfortable with and will NOT budge! It's sooooo frustrating. . .

I don't weigh, measure, watch anything. I eat 3 meals a day (mind you they are about 1 cup servings only) and i snack, and i eat junk. . . i've maintained my weight between 200 - 210 lbs for 8 months, and no less, but no more either. . . i'm pretty happy at my current weight and if i'm going to lose more i will, but if not, then so be it.

I'm 50 years old myself and definately know where your coming from. . .but maybe don't try soooo darn hard. . the sleeve will work for you (or so they say) : ) Look where you came from and look where you are at. . . at least your not gaining right. . . good luck and together we can do this!

Another thing is you don't have that much to lose and with any diet, weight loss program. It's always the last lbs. that are always the hardest to get rid of.

I have only lost 10lbs. since I had surgery on 09/02, and have 68 more to go.... And my scale is not moving! I am just waiting to heal up, that way I can add exercise in too.

I believe it will work, best wishes.

GREAT answer. It feels good to just not feel alone. It's not just me? Nope. THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking time to share your stories with me.

I had my surgery in Mexico so I don't have a bariatric doctor and my reg doctor was NOT supportive.

But I do however have an "infectious disease" doctor who is treating me for the bacteria infection. I went for a "final" visit today and STILL have a low grade fever. Stubborn infection. This bargain surgery is costing me a lot of money.

So... Perhaps this LONG STALL from he'll is connected to the fact that I'm still not healed.

Perhaps the feelings of depression are related to that because I'm a pretty chipper person.

i had my surgery on 6/23/11 and i am a really slow user. I put all my weight loss into a chart ( i need a visual!!)and ive been averaging 1-3 lb weight loss each week. I needed to see that i am still losing! Because honestly i get very discouraged when i read how people lose like 5lbs or whatever.

I do think you need to up your Water intake. How much Protein are you getting in? i have never been a water drinker, but crystal light has become my best friend. Keep your head up. And do what your supposed to do. I need to follow my advice too. Ive been weak many times, but its a battle and i want to believe i get a little stronger every day. We can do this! Everyone is different. We just have to work our sleeve!! Keep me updated!!

Yep -- frustrated.

I eat less than HALF what I used to eat. I don't snack on junk. I'm very careful not to over eat.

Typical day:

Breakfast: 1 egg or one egg muffin (low carb, just egg, cheese, & Jimmy Dean mild organic sausage)

Snack: 1/2 Atkins Peanut Butter bar (20 grams protein)

Lunch: Usually a salad with some kind of grilled meat (buy the fajita meat bags), AND usually split with coworker

Snack: other 1/2 of Atkins bar

Dinner: Grilled meat & one veggie

On weekends I occasionally add a high Protein shake if I am hungry or bored or just having a crave attack.

No sugar.

No starches.

Not much dairy

Only good fats (coconut oil, olive oil, etc)

I am SO TIRED OF COUNTING AND WEIGHING AND MEASURING AND WATCHING AND AND AND AND... I don't WANT to stay on the "diet" merry-go-round.

I thought the sleeve would curve the appetite.... sometimes yes, but most times no.

I only had about 75 lbs total I wanted to lose. Just don't think it is going to happen.

I am frustrated because I spend $5,000 on a surgery -- FOLLOWED by another $3,000 - $4,000 in followup from an infected drain tube and hospital stay and I.V. antibiotics through a Picc line.

I am frustrated because it is the same old story -- no matter how much I do or do not eat my body is what it is. It is not cooperating.

AND I know people will say "You need to..." And I KNOW "I need to..." But I am so tired of it all.

I've been so sick with infection and now that I am over it I thought "now" it would happen. But it isn't.

I read all of the success stories and I think to myself, "It works for everyone but me" -- thought that my entire life.

I lost 30 right out of the gate. Gained back 5 while I was in the hospital... and now.... nothing. I am battling the same 2 pounds, up and down, up and down.

Was it worth it? I can't say it was at this point.

Will it begin to change? I hope, but not certain.

Depression is hanging in the air - and I feel hopeless.

Is it because I am over 50? It only works for young people??

I mean, seriously.

I am NOT eating sugar, or junk, or crap, or over stuffing myself. I was anemic, according to my doctor, so I am taking a mild, slow -release Iron supplement. I take a multi-Vitamin daily and extra D3. I've been walking 2-3 times a week.

I drink between 32 - 40 oz of Water a day.

DOING ALL THE RIGHT THINGS ... even have a fitday account, an app on my phone to chart the progress. I have the recipes. I shop with a list. BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA

THIS SUCKS OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry -- just had to vent)

Hi Rose, I am 53, was 51 when I had the op. It will work as I can attest even if you are older. How many calories are you getting in each day? I found that I lost most if I ate around 1200 a day, otherwise my body went into shut down mode. When you get to goal it's easy to just maintain I have found, so don't lose heart.

Jane x

Hi. :)

30 lbs. in less than three months is excellent for a lightweight! Sure, if you'd started out at over 300 lbs. you'd have lost more (numbers-wise) than starting at just over 200 lbs... but I'm betting on a PERCENTAGE basis, you're right there where you should be.

I hate to say age could be a factor, but it could. I went into obvious peri-menopause right after surgery (was 44 then, I'm 46 now) and it gets harder and harder to get these last pounds off--not sure if the ever-decreasing hormones have anything to do with it or not, but I have the feeling that if I'd done this 15-20 years ago I'd be about a size 4 right now instead of a 10! :lol:

Anyway, just keep plugging along at it, doing it right, and the weight will come off. Don't let the old habits creep back while the sleeve's still doing the work for you. Know that stills do happen, you can't prevent them, and it's just your body holding onto excess Fluid because it's confused about what's happening to it. You'll get there, I promise!

I feel ya. I had a band to sleeve revision July 14 of this year. I have only gone from 249 to 233. I did that in the first two weeks while on liquids. I did the whole track it thing, walking and such. Lose nothing. Then splurge a day, lose a pound, only to gain it back when I restricted myself. I have lived on a restricted diet eating mostly like the aktins diet now for almost 4 years. I think my body is telling me enough is enough. I joined weight watchers this past week, just to try a healthy approach for the next month. Only time will tell. I will say also that I have never felt any restriction with my sleeve, am one of the few who wishes for the band back. I wish you well in your journey.

I know you said you are exercising 2 to 3x a week, but something you might consider is upping that another 1 to 2x a week if you can. But, what I have found for the exercise is cardio.... get that heart rate up, that will burn more calories which will equal weight loss. Stalls are normal too, so don't loose faith even when you are doing all the right things.

One more thing and you may not want to hear this in terms of it being "another diet", but the reality is you are on a diet of sorts until you reach goal. If you are consuming 50 carbs per day, personally I think that is too much. I would suggest trying to keep your carb intake 25 or less per day. It's not as hard as it sounds, it just means more Protein.

I had my surgery in Mexico so I don't have a bariatric doctor and my reg doctor was NOT supportive.

But I do however have an "infectious disease" doctor who is treating me for the bacteria infection. I went for a "final" visit today and STILL have a low grade fever. Stubborn infection. This bargain surgery is costing me a lot of money.

So... Perhaps this LONG STALL from he'll is connected to the fact that I'm still not healed.

Perhaps the feelings of depression are related to that because I'm a pretty chipper person.

Well I joined an exercise class. I went 4 times, then got sick with a cold (thanks to guy in our office who coughed and sneezes everywhere). So I sat out this week and hopefully can start up again on Monday.

And I suppose I will lower my carbs, which again makes this just another diet. The difference would be when I see the losses again. THAT would be motivation.

Right now I am lacking that key ingredient - motivation.