Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should Revisioners Have a Different Post-Op Diet?

I had my band to sleeve revision on Sept 7, so I'm currently on Day 12. I am really concerned about the post op diet phase. I was given 2different set of instructions for my post op.

One set was given to me pre-op and one set was given post-op. There are significant differences between the two, and it makes me wonder if different instructions should be followed for a revision.

Thoughts?

The post op diets vary so much from doctor to doctor. I had the same post op diet as any other sleeve patient, even though I had some pretty serious band complications. The most important thing is protecting your staple line those first two critical weeks while it heals. I just followed what my doctor told me. It was a rough three weeks on the liquid diet, but so worth it!!!

Hi-

Different doctors give different diets. Those of us that went to Mexico are on an aggressive liquids only for 3 weeks. I got a different set of instructions from my US bariatric support center. They have you trying mushy food by the end of the first week. I ended up somewhere in between. I wasn't tolerating any Protein drinks so I started to eat yogurt and WELL CHEWED cottage cheese after 2 weeks. Even then, I could only eat about 3 bites and it took 20 minutes to get it down.

There is no difference between revision patients and virgin tummy patients. If you are confused, call your doctor to clarify. Also, there are a few spots here on the board where people have posted their post op diet instructions.

Is there something specific you are concerned about with your current diet?

As a revisionist, Dr Aceves said that I had so much scar tissue from my band that he added 5 days to each food stage. So, I had an additional 5 days (so 15 days I think??) on each phase. I know of another gal that was revised just after me and it was the same for her.. So, I think he just started doing this.

I guess each doc is different. I was so terrified of injuring my staple line that (even though it was tough) I was 100% compliant.

Best wishes to you!!!

Erika

Thanks for the info Ricky. I really think that we ARE different,and I have purposefully been going a little slower than my diets allow. Its not that hard for me to continue on the liquids phase, I'm loving the sleeve for that!

I was like you, I had a lot of scar tissue. I guess that is much better than erosion though.

I am also a revision done by Dr. Aceves and was on 15 days Clear Liquids, 15 days full liquids, and then 15 days mushies before progressing to solids. I also followed this exactly as instructed. After al the complications with the band I wasn't taking any chances this go around of messing anything up. Like everyone else said, every doctor is different. Good luck to you!