Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 16 days out and about three days ago I started getting heartburn at night while I'm trying to go to sleep. I asked the doc about it and she said to try chewable tums. They work fine, but I started looking at the Calcium content and they have 750mg of Calcium per tablet and I'm supposed to chew two of them. My regular daily calcium chews only have 500mg in them each. So if I take my regular Calcium chews AND two tums, that's a total of 2500mg of Calcium, not to mention whatever I get from my milk and Protein Shakes. Is that too much? I'm worried about developing kidney stones.

Considering the Calcium in Tums is calcium carbonate you are likely only absorbing about 3-5% of the calcium anyways. They aren't recommended for bariatric patients due to carbonate causing rebound reflux. Most often, a PPI (most prescribed to stop the acid production)or H2 blocker (used as a secondary agent when the PPI is not fully effective to treat symptoms) is prescribed to stop/reduce acid reflux symptoms.

Speaking for the short term, it's not a problem at all as long as you are staying well hydrated. If you search here there is a thread that warns people off from Tums due to kidney stones. But in that thread, the person also says they were dehydrated. So I asked my surgeon and he said the Tums are fine as long as you are getting plety of Water. As the other poster says, you are not really absorbing the Calcium, but you do need to make sure it flushes well out of your body.

Short term (less than 3 months) this is the most gentle solution for your body to acid reflux. If it continues longer than that you may need to go heavier, but it doesn't sound like it's too bad of an issue for you.

Regarding the night time reflux, I am 100% better if I stop eating 2 hours before bedtime. In that instance, I'm fine. If I eat after that 2 hours, I have relux almost regardless of what I eat.

Regarding the night time reflux, I am 100% better if I stop eating 2 hours before bedtime. In that instance, I'm fine. If I eat after that 2 hours, I have relux almost regardless of what I eat.

I'm still on liquids so I have some strained Soup around 7 or so and then just Water or crystal light for the rest of the evening. The heartburn starts around 11:30 or so, like clockwork. I asked my surgeon about prescribing a ppi and he said he didn't do that unless it was a problem. It is weird to me that I only get it at night. I don't think it's triggered by what I eat.

I'm still on liquids so I have some strained Soup around 7 or so and then just Water or crystal light for the rest of the evening. The heartburn starts around 11:30 or so, like clockwork. I asked my surgeon about prescribing a ppi and he said he didn't do that unless it was a problem. It is weird to me that I only get it at night. I don't think it's triggered by what I eat.

I'm guessing you are laying down at 11:30. For those of us with acid reflux, laying down is not our friend. On

the nights I have issues, it's about 1 a.m. when it kicks in. And I also only have serious issues while I'm laying down for a length of time.

And while I agree that you should not use a PPI unless it's absolutely necessary, there are both acid reducers

and PPI's that are over the counter. Not sure they should be, but they are.

Some people believe that if you start using them, the body has a very hard time weening off. Just FYI.

For me, taking a PPI was well worth not being miserable with reflux symptoms, and/or hungry. The stomach is just not used to making such a small amount of acid. Plus, it helps protect the healing staple line.

I'm petrified of Barrett's esophagus considering that I do not have enough stomach tissue to reconstruct my esophagus if I should ever suffer from constant GERD/Reflux.

Not to mention the esophageal scarring, spasms, and difficulty eating if reflux persists.

I'm not saying this to argue with your doctor, but reflux is nothing to disregard through the healing process. Even an H2 blocker would help you get relief, and you might not ever need a full blown PPI RX.

For me, taking a PPI was well worth not being miserable with reflux symptoms, and/or hungry. The stomach is just not used to making such a small amount of acid. Plus, it helps protect the healing staple line.

I'm petrified of Barrett's esophagus considering that I do not have enough stomach tissue to reconstruct my esophagus if I should ever suffer from constant GERD/Reflux.

Not to mention the esophageal scarring, spasms, and difficulty eating if reflux persists.

I'm not saying this to argue with your doctor, but reflux is nothing to disregard through the healing process. Even an H2 blocker would help you get relief, and you might not ever need a full blown PPI RX.

I think I might trust you MORE than my doctor, considering everything you've been through. :) Can you recommend something over the counter that I can use? The Tums work but if there's something that would be better for me I'd rather do that. I never had heartburn before so I don't even know what's out there.

I think I might trust you MORE than my doctor, considering everything you've been through. :) Can you recommend something over the counter that I can use? The Tums work but if there's something that would be better for me I'd rather do that. I never had heartburn before so I don't even know what's out there.

Prilosec and Prevacid are both available over the counter. I was on Prilosec until a bad case of Gastritis hit me this past January, and I was switched to Nexium. When I found out I was pregnant, I stayed on the Nexium because Prilosec is NOT approved in pregnancy. I took Prilosec (generic form) 20mg once daily, first thing in the morning. You need to wait a minimum of 60 minutes to eat anything after taking a PPI. Nexium states 30 minutes wait time, but I still wait an hour before eating. It *can* take a full 7-14 days for Prilosec/Prevacid to fully kick in so don't be alarmed if you do not get immediate relief. You can also take it at night, just make sure you have not eaten anything for 2-3 hours before taking it. Your gut needs to be empty for maximum efficacy.

As for symptom treatment, an H2 blocker such as Zantac, Pepcid (Pill form) will give you relief. I take Gaviscon for immediate relief if I have breakthrough reflux which I have had on occasion through the pregnancy, and it's not related to any food specifically, it's just pregnancy. So, if you want immediate relief, and if I were you, I would take Gaviscon, then start taking either Prilosec or Prevacid, and see how you feel.

I'm 27 months post-op, and simply refuse to go off my PPI. The long term risks are minimal, and mainly related to bone density issues since PPI's make Calcium not easily absorbed. That is why it is recommended for us to such a high dose of calcium citrate and not carbonate. Citrate can be absorbed and assimilated without an acidic environment while carbonate needs acid to be absorbed properly. And, even then carbonate is the cheapest, and least effective calcium on the market.

Just a general disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional, I don't want anyone to get their panties in a twist (not you dramagirl) that I'm giving her advice and what I've done to make sure my sleeve is well protected, and what is the standard OTC dosing recommendations that I have been given.

I was freaked because I had reflux for the first month or two. Now-NEVER. I hate reflux and agree with Tiff-if I had a problem I'd medicate rather than have my esophagus damaged. I have so much OTC prilosec in my cabinet because I never take it anymore. Just wanting to reassure you this may be temporary. Now if I eat gluten...hours and hours and hours of abdominal pain, bloating and heartburn. If anybody has those problems-try going off gluten for 3 days.

Tiff,

I had spams since day one, kept me in hospital post op ean extra day. I take Nexium every day 9 months post yet. What are you referring

to?

Tiff,

I had spams since day one, kept me in hospital post op ean extra day. I take Nexium every day 9 months post yet. What are you referring

to?

What part of my post is in question?? The spasm comment, acid reflux can cause the esophagus to spasm along with other associated with stomach surgery. Hernia repair, or hiatal hernias can also cause reflux or spasms.

I didn't say that a PPI would cure the spasms, but reflux can cause them which in turn makes eating/drinking more difficult. For me, I wasn't willing to deal with those issues so I choose to remain on a PPI.

What part of my post is in question?? The spasm comment, acid reflux can cause the esophagus to spasm along with other associated with stomach surgery. Hernia repair, or hiatal hernias can also cause reflux or spasms.

I didn't say that a PPI would cure the spasms, but reflux can cause them which in turn makes eating/drinking more difficult. For me, I wasn't willing to deal with those issues so I choose to remain on a PPI.

Sorry, some days it is reflux, some days spasm. Like last night the hubby wanted Olive Garden. I chose all cream type sauces. However I do not deny the urge to go "empty" due stuff burning and spasm while I made all look normal to him.

Prilosec and Prevacid are both available over the counter. I was on Prilosec until a bad case of Gastritis hit me this past January, and I was switched to Nexium. When I found out I was pregnant, I stayed on the Nexium because Prilosec is NOT approved in pregnancy. I took Prilosec (generic form) 20mg once daily, first thing in the morning. You need to wait a minimum of 60 minutes to eat anything after taking a PPI. Nexium states 30 minutes wait time, but I still wait an hour before eating. It *can* take a full 7-14 days for Prilosec/Prevacid to fully kick in so don't be alarmed if you do not get immediate relief. You can also take it at night, just make sure you have not eaten anything for 2-3 hours before taking it. Your gut needs to be empty for maximum efficacy.

As for symptom treatment, an H2 blocker such as Zantac, Pepcid (Pill form) will give you relief. I take Gaviscon for immediate relief if I have breakthrough reflux which I have had on occasion through the pregnancy, and it's not related to any food specifically, it's just pregnancy. So, if you want immediate relief, and if I were you, I would take Gaviscon, then start taking either Prilosec or Prevacid, and see how you feel.

I'm 27 months post-op, and simply refuse to go off my PPI. The long term risks are minimal, and mainly related to bone density issues since PPI's make Calcium not easily absorbed. That is why it is recommended for us to such a high dose of calcium citrate and not carbonate. Citrate can be absorbed and assimilated without an acidic environment while carbonate needs acid to be absorbed properly. And, even then carbonate is the cheapest, and least effective Calcium on the market.

Just a general disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional, I don't want anyone to get their panties in a twist (not you dramagirl) that I'm giving her advice and what I've done to make sure my sleeve is well protected, and what is the standard OTC dosing recommendations that I have been given.

Thank you so much for the advice. I took two Tums last night and woke up in the middle of the night needing a third. I'm not sure it's going to cut it. I'll look for Gaviscon and Prilosec and bring it up with my doc next time around.

I have so much OTC prilosec in my cabinet because I never take it anymore. Just wanting to reassure you this may be temporary.

This is very encouraging! I knew that this was a common side-effect of VSG and I decided beforehand that I'd rather deal with chronic heartburn and refulx than be morbidly obese my whole life, but it would be really swell if it was only temporary.

I'm 27 months post-op, and simply refuse to go off my PPI. The long term risks are minimal, and mainly related to bone density issues since PPI's make Calcium not easily absorbed. That is why it is recommended for us to such a high dose of calcium citrate and not carbonate. Citrate can be absorbed and assimilated without an acidic environment while carbonate needs acid to be absorbed properly. And, even then carbonate is the cheapest, and least effective calcium on the market.

Does a person always know if they have acid reflux? Now that I've experienced it, I can't imagine having it to a dangerous degree and not knowing it. But I'm wondering if, in your opinion, there can still be risk if you quit the meds because you are actually still experiencing reflux.